Food with gravy

Old June 29th 04, 02:12 AM
suitta

Default Food with gravy

My two year old kitty recently had a urination problem. After exam and
medication Vet said give her more wet food because that increases her
moisture intake. Problem is she only really likes the gravy from
inexpensive brands like Friskies and 9-Lives. I want to give her something
better since she's going to be getting more of it. I just can't find one
that has any gravy. I've tried Science Diet and Iams, various flavors, from
Petco. This seems so silly to be writing looking for this kind of advise,
but can anyone recommend a better wet food that has gravy?

Thanks - Terri

Old June 29th 04, 02:30 AM
Cheryl

In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.health+behav", "suitta"
artfully composed this message within
news:Pl3Ec.83192$%T.33219@okepread05 on 28 Jun 2004:

My two year old kitty recently had a urination problem. After
exam and medication Vet said give her more wet food because that
increases her moisture intake. Problem is she only really likes
the gravy from inexpensive brands like Friskies and 9-Lives. I
want to give her something better since she's going to be
getting more of it. I just can't find one that has any gravy.
I've tried Science Diet and Iams, various flavors, from Petco.
This seems so silly to be writing looking for this kind of
advise, but can anyone recommend a better wet food that has
gravy?

Thanks - Terri

Ask your vet if you can add Hill's Mixit to the food. I don't know
of many cats who can resist it, and I had a case of it leftover
that I gave to a friend with an 18 year old cat who wouldn't eat
canned other than lapping the gravy. Even though it isn't a proper
diet, her cat ate dry food daily but lived for her evening meal of
a little Mixit, and she let her have it because she is frail and
bony and doesn't have a whole lot of time left. Mixed with other
food it is supposed to help transition both cats and dogs into
eating desirable food. My Shamrock used to be a dry food kitty, but
once he started getting canned that he really likes he rarely eats
dry anymore. The gravy was the start of it. Now he grabs up big
mouthfuls of canned, both pate style and chunky. I've never found
Hill's Mixit in stores, but bought it by the case online.

--
Cheryl

Old June 29th 04, 02:31 AM
Jon C

Science Diet Savory Cuts is a food-in-gravy. Have you tried a more premium
brand like Wellness or Innova, though?

FWIW, my cats like the Savory Cuts, but I don't like feeding it to them
because it has a very high carb content. I think one of the good reasons to
go with wet food is lower carb content, so I didn't want to feed it to them.

Old June 29th 04, 05:19 AM
Judy

"suitta" wrote in message
My two year old kitty recently had a urination problem. After exam and
medication Vet said give her more wet food because that increases her
moisture intake. Problem is she only really likes the gravy from
inexpensive brands like Friskies and 9-Lives. I want to give her

something
better since she's going to be getting more of it. I just can't find one
that has any gravy. I've tried Science Diet and Iams, various flavors,

from
Petco. This seems so silly to be writing looking for this kind of advise,
but can anyone recommend a better wet food that has gravy?

Thanks - Terri

Try some of the Nutro canned food. I've been feeding my 3 year old Lamb and
Turkey Cutlets for two years and she loves this stuff. Plenty of gravy!

Judy

Old June 29th 04, 04:45 PM
Steve G

"suitta" wrote in message news:Pl3Ec.83192$%T.33219@okepread05...
My two year old kitty recently had a urination problem.

That's a ****er. Or not, as the case may be.

(...)
Petco. This seems so silly to be writing looking for this kind of advise,
but can anyone recommend a better wet food that has gravy?

Some Active Life stuff has gravy. Bloody expensive though.

That and SD Choice Cuts are the only foods I've fed my cats that were
the lumps-in-gravy deal.

Steve.