[OT] Anyone know anything about Windows Vista?

Old January 10th 08, 11:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Default [OT] Anyone know anything about Windows Vista?

bobblespin wrote:
I've been reading the Vista newsgroups lately and a lot of times people
have compatability problems. They say Vista is ok if the computer was
built from scratch for Vista, but if you're upgrading from XP, that's
when you run into problems. As with everything else, some people love
it and some hate it.

That's been my experience as well. I was unable to upgrade from XP to
Vista on my previous computer, I had to actually wipe out the hard drive
and install Vista from scratch. Not pretty.
But this new computer we got last year came with Vista and so far so good...

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old January 11th 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav

jmcquown wrote:
I got a job offer yesterday - a 6 month temporary assignment
which
would require me to temporarily move, no, thanks! One of the
job
requirements was knowledge of DOS. Excuse me? You mean that
thing
we used in the 1980's working from the C: prompt DOS? Sorry,
barely remember that stuff. I think I have a book around here
someplace but I really don't want to revert back to that....

Of course you don't! CP/M was much more fun :-)

--
MatSav

Old January 11th 08, 01:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

jmcquown wrote:

Granby wrote:

To get the laptop I wanted, I had to get Vista and, have not had any
trouble with it. Heard all sorts of nightmares but haven't had any
trouble. appearance is different but basics are the same.

Someone still runs DOS? I can't believe they are able to run any
programs!! It is mentioned on down in this post.

Yeah, this recruiter contacted me about a 6 month job in another city.
First of all, I don't plan to move someplace else just to work at a place
for 6 months. Secondly, who on earth requires knowledge of DOS as the first
thing listed in "experience required"?

Jill

How big is the company? Sometimes, with small companies,
the person placing the ad and doing the interviewing doesn't
know much about the job requirements. (Sort of like
specifying typing and shorthand speeds when most secretaries
no long use either shorthand or a typewriter.)
Old January 11th 08, 03:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
sam

jmcquown wrote:
I'm looking at ordering a laptop so I won't lose touch with the outside
world when I go to South Carolina. I thought Vista turned out to be one of
the worst of the Windows Opsys's on the planet. I'm perfectly happy with XP
but I can't seem to find a Dell (I love Dell, sorry) that doesn't come with
Vista. I don't really know anything about Vista. I'm always behind the
times when it comes to this stuff.

I had to talk to my parent's neighbor last night - I used her computer to
book my flight back home. Asked her how she connects to the internet on an
island and she said um, well, ask your parents what they have for the phone
service or for their cable service. Looks like I'll have to get a hook-up
with one of those. When my brother was there in the summer he was trying to
rely on wifi and couldn't always catch a signal.

I got a job offer yesterday - a 6 month temporary assignment which would
require me to temporarily move, no, thanks! One of the job requirements was
knowledge of DOS. Excuse me? You mean that thing we used in the 1980's
working from the C: prompt DOS? Sorry, I barely remember that stuff. I
think I have a book around here someplace but I really don't want to revert
back to that. (Unix is more fun and much older, anyway.)

Jill

Jill

If you want a Dell (I like 'em, too), call their 800 number to order and
tell the rep that you want such-and-such system but you want Windows XP
on it. The phone reps have a lot of latitude in substitutions, much
more than the web site.

DOS info? I've got some old DOS books I could send you if you need
them. Let me know.

Sam, supervised by Mistletoe
Old January 11th 08, 05:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

Granby wrote:

[...]

No clue. Recruiters don't like to give out the names of companies when they
are putting out feelers because an applicant could bypass them and apply for
the job directly, thus cutting out their fee. Doesn't matter, really. As I
said, I'm not about to relocate for a 6 month position.

Jill

Old January 11th 08, 11:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"MatSav" matthew | dot | savage | at | dsl | dot | pipex | dot | com
wrote in :

jmcquown wrote:
I got a job offer yesterday - a 6 month temporary assignment
which
would require me to temporarily move, no, thanks! One of the
job
requirements was knowledge of DOS. Excuse me? You mean that
thing
we used in the 1980's working from the C: prompt DOS? Sorry,
barely remember that stuff. I think I have a book around here
someplace but I really don't want to revert back to that....

Of course you don't! CP/M was much more fun :-)

I still have a Kaypro in the back with CP/M. I don't have the heart to get
rid of it even though its always in the way and not worth much of anything.

Andy
Old January 11th 08, 01:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

go to their site, a friend just ordered one but choose the XP options, not
sure if it was lap or desktop though, Lee

Old January 11th 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Stormmee wrote:
go to their site, a friend just ordered one but choose the XP
options, not sure if it was lap or desktop though, Lee

The web site doesn't give me the option. It's all Vista.

jmcquown wrote in message
[...]

we used in the 1980's working from the C: prompt DOS? Sorry, I
barely remember that stuff. I think I have a book around here
someplace but I really don't want to revert back to that. (Unix is

Old January 12th 08, 06:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

she just got hers today, and it was XP, you might go to the clutter news
group and look at her post, Lee

Old January 12th 08, 07:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bridget[_2_]

You have to do a phone order to get XP. You can get a wider variety of
OS when you do the order over the phone. Dell does computers for
everything from individual users to major universities. They have
operating systems that cover all the possibilities of their clients.
While you might not get Win 98, I am pretty sure that XP home and
professional would be available as well as Win 2003.

As far as experience goes, I have Vista on my laptop. It works well. As
others have said, it is a bit hyper vigilant and will often ask you if
the thing the computer is trying to do is something you want to happen.
I haven't installed it on my desktop and don't plan to. When I upgrade
my computer I will get it then. But as far as the laptop goes, it seems
to work well. I got the fastest chip available at the time (8 months
ago) and it has 2 gig of ram, so it is equipped to handle it. I don't
know how lesser computers do.

Bridget