American Idol guy & Cats

Old November 20th 03, 07:36 AM
Cat Protector

I have been in contact with PETA. This was their response.

"We deal with dozens of cases of cruelty to cats every week, and we know,
firsthand, how damaging statements like this can be when impressionable kids
mimic what their "idols" do. Clay never responded when we wrote to him
politely about this, and he needs to make amends for those remarks."

Apparently PETA did attempt to get the full story from Aiken about the
remarks but he chose not to respond. Aiken apparently is not doing anything
to set the record straight. I am not a fan of PETA but have to agree that
Aiken needs to apologize to those cat lovers he offended. He may not like
them but he owes it to his fans to lead by example and say it is not ok to
abuse an animal nor is it nice to make such statements that could give
permission to do so. I have a feeling that if Aiken steps forward and
addresses this to his fans that he might very well pave the road to peace.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

"Elizabeth M." wrote in message
om...

http://www.foxesonidol.com/cgi-bin/a...364.art&page=1

PETA Delays Clay Ad, Wants to Use Him for More Publicity
by David Bloomberg -- 11/19/2003

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) apparently doesn't
extend that ethical treatment to humans. They have delayed official
publication of the ad saying Clay was "neutered," but want to force
him to give them additional publicity or they'll run it anyway. Read
on for details.

Clay Aiken fans have apparently succeeded where so many others have
failed - they managed to put a dent in the dogma machine that is
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA).

As readers no doubt recall, PETA recently announced a new ad campaign
targeting Clay Aiken and calling him "neutered." Although they had not
formally started the campaign, the announcements and their website had
the ad already available, so it basically served as free advertising
for them.

Perhaps that advertising was enough, or maybe they started to get
worried about the legality of calling somebody "neutered." Or maybe
all of the calls and e-mails from Clay's fans, as well as people
announcing that they would not give further money to PETA, had some
impact after all. PETA has announced that they are delaying the
campaign. for now.

PETA claims they are delaying the ad to see if Clay will apologize for
making his negative comments about cats. In fact, the vice president
of the group said, "If Clay Aiken intends on staying famous, he has to
learn to take a joke." A joke? Well, yes, PETA could be construed as a
joke when they act like this. In fact, to many the group has become
one sick joke after another.

The problem is that PETA took what Clay said about cats out of context
- he was talking about how he had accidentally run over his kitten (as
explained by his mother in our previous article on this issue). PETA
took it as some attack on animals, which is ridiculous.

But PETA doesn't just want Clay to apologize for them taking his words
out of context - they want him to post a message on his website urging
people to spay or neuter their pets and give an interview for PETA's
website.

To be completely honest, I hope Clay deviates from his usual character
and tells PETA to go f*** themselves. That may sound harsh, I know,
but the group is essentially trying to blackmail him: "Do this and
that or we'll run this ad." First they insult him, then they
oh-so-graciously say they will delay the ad, and they won't run it if
he gives them even more publicity - but they will run it if he
doesn't. Mind you, this is the same group that compared Holocaust
victims to animals.

PETA did admit that Clay's attorney contacted them, so maybe that had
something to do with it. I say this because PETA certainly never
backed down in their Holocaust advertising, even though they offended
far more people with that one than the Clay ad.

The organization has certainly learned how to get the most bang for
their buck. By previewing the ad on their website and announcing that
they would start running it, the media informed many people about the
ad, thus getting their "message" out without ever having to spend a
dime on advertising. Now when Clay fans, his attorney, and others have
fired back, PETA makes more publicity by saying they are putting a
hold on the ad. Then, if they decide to not run the ad, they can try
to win back Clay fans by saying, "See, we didn't run it." Hopefully,
fans won't be so forgiving. If they decide to run the ad after all, it
can work almost as an after-thought, because so many people have seen
them already. And if they can get Clay to give them an interview, they
will have scored a major publicity coup - another reason I,
personally, hope he tells them to shove off.

I have heard from many people who support animal rights and, in
theory, agree with PETA's mission. However, the dogmatic position PETA
has taken, coupled with the way they will go to any lengths to get
publicity, no matter who they hurt, has turned off many, many people.
The organization needs to take a serious look at how they promote
their message. Unfortunately, because of all the free advertising they
receive from these sorts of occurrences, I doubt that will happen
anytime soon.

David Bloomberg is the Editor of Foxes On Idol, and can be reached at
.

Old November 20th 03, 07:41 AM
Cat Protector

Actually calling cats names period is wrong. I believe cats have feelings.
My cat Jade is a little plump and she sure shows that she doesn't like being
reminded of it so I am careful in wording around her. I love her anyway. I
am sure that if the felines of the world saw what Aiken said there'd be a
lot of upset cats. Both of mine sure don't like what Aiken said.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
Very different, but not everyone can see that. Sometimes I say my cat is

"fatso catso," but that doesn't mean I hate her and would run her over
because she's full-figured.

And not liking cats does not equal being a bad person--a weird person,
maybe, but certainly not bad.

rona

Old November 20th 03, 03:29 PM
Cat Protector

Why do some humans consider it such a crime when we think of cats as more
than just a cat? It seems some have a real problem when cats are
anthropomorphized. I think it would be insensitive to not see cats have
feelings.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

"Diane L. Schirf" wrote in message
I think we truly do animals and their natures a disservice when we
anthropomorphize them.

--
http://www.mindspring.com/~slywy/
http://slywy.diaryland.com/

Old November 20th 03, 03:36 PM
Cat Protector

Like I said, I don't always agree with PETA's methods. But this Aiken thing
does point out that when you say something negative and quite publically
about cats that you need to own up to it. Aiken should apologize to all the
cat lovers he offended with his remarks. Even though he may be traumetized
about accidently running over a cat when he was 16, it seems he added insult
to injury by saying that "cats are Satan" and that "there is nothing worse
than a housecat." By making those remarks he seems to be blaming the kitten
for what happened. His remarks were very insensitive.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
"Diane L. Schirf" wrote in message
link.net...
In article ,
(Elizabeth M.) wrote:

PREPOSTEROUS PETA

When I think of how many animals are being neglected and abused quietly
in urban and rural areas all over the U.S. and how it always comes to
light through a neighbor or the sheriff's police or agencies like that,
I think PETA and other similar groups seriously should consider their
priorities. This campaign isn't going to help any of the neglected,
abused horses, dogs, cats, etc. Just generate PETA a lot of self-serving
publicity.