Pets find that pestering pays off (article)

Old February 13th 04, 01:17 AM

Default Pets find that pestering pays off (article)

Many pets find that pestering pays off
Dogs and cats learn that making noise catches owner's ear
Sophia Yin, DVM
SF Chronicle, Saturday, February 7, 2004

It's wonderful to come home after a long day of work to relax and
spend quality time with your pet. But when quality time includes the
following pet owner's predicament, relaxation is far from the picture.

"My springer spaniel barks constantly at the table when we eat
dinner, and it's annoying," says the perplexed pooch owner. "He gets
table scraps occasionally, but he always has dog food available. Any
ideas or thoughts?"

At this point, cat owners are gloating over their choice of a more
peaceful pet, but before you feline fanciers let it go to your head,
listen to what another reader has to say.

"My neighbor's cat visits us often. She is very sweet and loving. The
problem is, she meows constantly. She literally never shuts up!
Nothing seems to satisfy her -- food, water, holding her. What would
make her 'talk' constantly?"

Why do dogs and even some cats blabber on?

One clue comes from observing their next of kin. The closest cousin
to the dog, the wolf, rarely barks and when it does so, it's more of
a breathy "huff." Similarly, wild cats rarely meow and their meows
are more of a throaty "erk." So somewhere during domestication meows
and barks became the main mode of vocalization.

The second clue comes from observing domesticated cats and dogs.
Extensive observations reveal that gabby cats and dogs are primarily
owned by humans who carry on with their loud, seemingly pointless,
conversations. A study on free-ranging dogs in Baltimore in the 1970s
showed that dogs that were owned but allowed to roam barked
boisterously on many occasions. Dogs that grew up in the absence of
humans and that were not tame remained relatively quiet. When animal
control officers searched for these dogs in abandoned buildings,
rather than barking to defend their territory, these dogs stayed
silent.

On a somewhat similar note, while all cats can meow, cats rarely meow
to one another. Rather they reserve this aspect of their vocabulary
for speaking to humans. In fact, both dogs and cats rely more on body
language as well as the proverbial urine spray and other scented
"post-its" to communicate with their own kind. It's not until we add
in the human element that barks and meows become a major form of
expression -- and sometimes a nuisance.

The phenomenon may puzzle some, but it's clear to me. Cats and dogs
quickly learn that we humans are blind to their visual signals no
matter how pronounced, but it's hard for us to ignore a constant meow
or ear-shattering bark. So cats and dogs may have developed the
herculean ability to bark and meow for hours on end because it's a
great way to get our attention.

One study by Michael Owren and Nicholas Nicastro from 2003 even
indicates that cat meows are tailored to influence the human ear. The
study showed that cats can produce pitch-modulated meows and the more
modulated the meow the more urgent it sounds to human listeners.
Since cats are poor at detecting variations in pitch, this adaptation
isn't useful for conveying urgency to other cats, but it's perfectly
suited for calling humans to action.

So now that you know that cats and dogs meow and bark excessively
because they're training you to respond appropriately, you should be
able to plot a successful behavior modification plan -- one that
involves ignoring the noise and rewarding quiet behavior.

For Skippy, the springer who demands caviar instead of his kibble and
will bark through an entire meal until he gets it, treat him as if
he's not even there. Then when he's quiet for about five to 10
seconds toss him a little treat. He'll start barking again but just
wait it out repeatedly and reward him when he's quiet again.

After he gets the idea that it's the quiet that's earning him the
treat, expect him to be quiet for longer periods before giving him a
treat. Build up this quiet time as rapidly as you can until you reach
the duration of an average meal. Remember that Skippy has a history
of getting what he wants if he just barks a little longer so it may
take a while before you get your first periods of silence. If you're
extremely consistent, training will go quickly and you'll be able to
enjoy a quiet meal within several days to a week.

In the case of the social cat, Sylvester's ploy may be a bit
sinister. Maybe she wants food, maybe she wants to be petted, maybe
she just wants to see you do a little dance? Regardless of the
intent, the treatment is the same. Ignore all meowing and treat her
as if she doesn't exist. Then pet her only when she's quiet. If
you're consistent she'll learn quickly. If you're not, she'll just
learn to cry louder and longer.
Old February 13th 04, 03:03 AM
Yowie

Excellent article! Thanks, Joyce, for posting it.

I'd go further, and say that Cats actually *speak*. I know several Shmogg
phrases. I recognise "Hello", "I want", "I want *NOW*", "just reminding you
that I'm still here", "I'm frustrated" and the very rare "help?".

And these are very different meow-types than my friend's cats, and I
recognise some of their meows as well.

All I can figure is that Shmogg and I must have worked out a language
together that we both understand, there is no other explanation of his meows
being different to my friend's cat's meows, expecially when I know exactly
what they mean.

Yowie

Old February 13th 04, 04:12 AM
badwilson

wrote in message

One study by Michael Owren and Nicholas Nicastro from 2003 even
indicates that cat meows are tailored to influence the human ear. The
study showed that cats can produce pitch-modulated meows and the more
modulated the meow the more urgent it sounds to human listeners.
Since cats are poor at detecting variations in pitch, this adaptation
isn't useful for conveying urgency to other cats, but it's perfectly
suited for calling humans to action.

This is very true. When Vino wants something, he comes up with an amazing
range of meows, one after the other and each one different from the one
before. Impossible to ignore! Besides, we think it's so cute. Usually
picking him up and holding him over the shoulder while we are talking to
each other does the trick. He just wants to be up there with us, part of
the circle of conversation :-)
For food, he doesn't use the amazing meows. He just does the plain
insistent wailing and the hoomin-tripping herding toward the fridge. When
he wants out, he also wails insistently and then scrapes his claws on the
window glass. It's always futile though because we're such *mean* slaves
who never let him out ;-)
--
Britta
Check out pictures of Vino at:

Old February 13th 04, 06:06 AM
Mary

I'd go further, and say that Cats actually *speak*. I know several Shmogg
phrases. I recognise "Hello", "I want", "I want *NOW*", "just reminding you
that I'm still here", "I'm frustrated" and the very rare "help?".

My cat Patches knows two words, "ham" and "out." When he wants snacks I
generally ask him if he wants ham and he goes "haaaaam?" and then I ask him if
he wants to go out and he goes "ouuuuuuut?" I've been meaning to record him
because it really sounds like ham and out. When Mimi wants out she bangs this
metal heart that hangs on a string on the door. That's her doorbell. The
scratching drove me nuts so I gave her the heart thing. I have a cat door but
she just loves to make me get up and open the door personally. My house is
completely enclosed with 8' fences so out isn't out at all, just out into the
enclosed yard.
Old February 13th 04, 08:51 AM
John Biltz

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 19:12:50 -0800, badwilson wrote
(in message ):

This is very true. When Vino wants something, he comes up with an amazing
range of meows, one after the other and each one different from the one
before. Impossible to ignore! Besides, we think it's so cute. Usually
picking him up and holding him over the shoulder while we are talking to
each other does the trick. He just wants to be up there with us, part of
the circle of conversation :-)
For food, he doesn't use the amazing meows. He just does the plain
insistent wailing and the hoomin-tripping herding toward the fridge. When
he wants out, he also wails insistently and then scrapes his claws on the
window glass. It's always futile though because we're such *mean* slaves
who never let him out ;-)

Maya, who is mostly Siamese used to speak a lot more to me than she does
now. She was my first cat and I needed the verbal instruction I guess.
Most of the time when she talks now she is mad about something, generally
Bruiser I think. Sometimes she is trying to get my attention about
something but generally she communicates with looks and body posture.
She does talk to other cats though it doesn't sound at all like when she
talks to me. This is pure threat sound with no trill in it at all. When
I hear that sound I come running, violence is about to happen very soon.
The first few times I heard it I could not believe this sound was coming
from her and it doesn't seem to be, either. Its almost as though she is
throwing her voice like a ventroliquist. Its very disturbing, an almost
supernatural sound, if you were in an old house for the first time and
heard it in the dark you would be heading for the door. I've read
somewhere that a lot of Siamese are deaf in the higher sound ranges, the
ones we can't hear. Which is why they are more vocal, they live more in
our sound range. There are theories that cats do meow to each other, but
its in a range we can't hear. Pretty amazing really how little we know
about cats considering how long they lived with us. Bruiser doesn't
meow. He sort of chirps. I've read that is pretty common with Maine
Coons and that they do this to other cats as well.

Old February 13th 04, 02:53 PM
Ted Davis

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 00:17:52 GMT, wrote:

Many pets find that pestering pays off
Dogs and cats learn that making noise catches owner's ear

snip
On a somewhat similar note, while all cats can meow, cats rarely meow
to one another. Rather they reserve this aspect of their vocabulary
for speaking to humans. In fact, both dogs and cats rely more on body
language as well as the proverbial urine spray and other scented
"post-its" to communicate with their own kind. It's not until we add
in the human element that barks and meows become a major form of
expression -- and sometimes a nuisance.

snip

Unfortunately most of my cats didn't read the article: they meow to
each other and seldom to me. The main exception that complies with
the conclusion of the article is Mickey, and he's technically not my
cat: he meows at me when he wants milk. The others mosty use meows to
threaten other cats - the peaceful ones are very quiet, but some act
like Fluffy did last night.

Last night Fluffy was on my chest as I lay in bed - Spooky was at
about waist level to my left and Maryweatehr was next to my head on
the right. Fluffy wanted no competetion for my attention so she went
"eow" to spooky - Spooky cringed and moved away, then she made the
same sound to Maryweather, who ignored her. Fluffy then added the 'm'
that she usually omits and went "MEOW" to Maryweather while assulting
her with her right front paw - Maryweather left. Latert I heard low
pitched meowing coming from the hall and knew it was coming from one
of the males challenging some other cat.

I hear more meows from annoyed cats than from begging cats, and when
they are meowing while begging, it doesn't start until I have already
begun the treat process, as by using the can opener or getting a bowl
out of the cabinet.

T.E.D. )