Thyroid Problems/Tapozole

Old December 19th 03, 08:10 PM

Default Thyroid Problems/Tapozole

My 15 year old male tabby has been taking 10 mg Tapozole a day for about
14 months for his thryoid.

Over the past few weeks he has begun to lose weight again and eating
little. Today the vet told me to increase the Tapozole dose to 15 mg a
day.

He said the one problem with Tapozole is the dose usually has to be
increased every so often.

He again suggested surgery, but at a cost of close to $500, that would
be difficult.

Of course during the past 14 months I spent pretty near that much on
Tapozole, but it's done one month at a time. The $500 has to be paid all
at once.

For those who have cats on Tapozole, how long have they been on it, and
what are the doses? Have you had to increase the dose?

Thanks.

Old December 20th 03, 02:01 AM
Gail

My cat has been on it for about 4 years now. She is on 1/2 pill in the AM
and 1/2 pill in the Pm.(of a 5mg pill) For awhile she was only taking 1/2
daily and it needed to be increased. Do you have your vet write a Rx for the
generic and have it filled at a pharmacy?? I found this to be a little
cheaper.
Gail

Old December 20th 03, 12:11 PM
Shirley

wrote in message
[...]

AIUI thyrotoxicosis in a cat is caused by an adenoma (type of tumour)
in the thyroid gland, the Tapazole doesn't stop the adenoma growing
only controls the amount of hormone it produces so as the tumour grows
more medication is needed which is why RAI or surgery are the
preferred treatments in an otherwise healthy cat.

Maybe your vet would work out a payment plan spread over a few months
if you asked.

--
Shirley
see my cats at

Old December 20th 03, 05:06 PM
Barb

My Pepper (14) has been on Tapazole for a few years. She started with 10 mg
per day and her weight doubled from 5 to 10 pounds so she is doing well with
it. The vet recently brought her down to 7 and a half mg a day. I've heard
that some people feel that with the surgery once it's done it can't be
regulated any more and some say don't do it on an older cat. My doctor has
not recommended surgery probably because she's doing so well!

--
Barb
I can only please one person a day.