Wood scratchin post better?

Old May 4th 04, 05:05 AM
Sherry

Splinters was my worry, too. Limbs or tree stumps with bark, no problem.
But cut wood like pine seems just too soft.

--
Cheryl

We put an old dead tree, about 8-foot tall in Orion's enclosure. He *loved*
it and it really looked cool, we concreted it down for stability.
Turns out, it was chock-full of termites!!

Sherry

Old May 5th 04, 02:42 AM
Sherry

Akk! Ants are another worry (I think you said that though). That must have
been interesting, though. No dirt to crawl back down in to. Where did their
mud tunnels end up leading to? Just to the floor?

The colony was probably underground...where we chopped down the dead tree. We
didn't notice the termites till we'd already put the tree inside the enclosure.
We were afraid to spray it because of the cats, and afraid to *leave* them,
not knowing if they would spread to her house. So we removed the tree. A good
idea that didn't quite work out.

Sherry

Sherry

Old May 5th 04, 03:02 AM
Cheryl

itty (Sherry ) dumped this in
on 04 May 2004:

Akk! Ants are another worry (I think you said that though). That must
have been interesting, though. No dirt to crawl back down in to. Where
did their mud tunnels end up leading to? Just to the floor?

The colony was probably underground...where we chopped down the dead
tree. We didn't notice the termites till we'd already put the tree
inside the enclosure.
We were afraid to spray it because of the cats, and afraid to *leave*
them,
not knowing if they would spread to her house. So we removed the tree.
A good idea that didn't quite work out.

Sherry

Sherry

Ah. I was under the impression that you brought a stump indoors. In the
enclosure, you're right, they went back underground. I learned a lot
about termites since I *did* have them in my home and had to have it
treated. Mine came in from poor design around the pipes where they enter
the house. The stupid builder left the wood square "cut-out" when the
concrete slab was laid for the foundation. Funny thing is, I bought this
house from my brother and his family and the first spring here I had
"swarmers" but didn't know what they were. I thought they were flying
ants because the lender required a termite inspection and there was a
treatment done. Come to find out, they only did a perimeter treatment but
because of the location of the pipes, and the room the swarmers were in,
the slab had to be drilled to properly treat and that wasn't done. I
swear... termite inspections for mortgage purposes is a scam.

--
Cheryl