OT - Facebook Problem

Old October 9th 10, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Default OT - Facebook Problem

OK, uninstalled Norton and installed AVG and the problem seems to be fixed!

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 15:46:00 +0100, Adrian wrote:
CatNipped wrote:
Oh, I totally agree (and I didn't take offence, I *am* admittedly insane
;). I'm just too much of an old fogey, I guess, and don't have the
energy
or desire to try to learn something new.

BTW, just tried FB with IE9 and it works fine. :-)

From what I saw, there is a new 'security feature' that IE8 has where
the behavior is changed from prior behavior. It involves 'cookies' which
is how a website saves a little information on your own computer and is
how
facebook remembers who you are when you reopen your browser so it knows
that
you've already logged on. Remove the cookie, and facebook doesn't know
who
you are. I think IE8 is automatically deleting them. I don't use IE so I
can't help much other than say that I think the problem is w/ cookies.

Cookies are a very mild security risk. It used to be possible for
website A to save a cookie, and then for website B request to read it.
That could be very very bad if website A had saved login information to
log into your bank account, and website B was malicious. In real life,
sites can't read other sites' cookies, and no site saves anything
critical.
No bank website would save login information in a cookie, and no merchant
site would save anything like credit card information. They don't even
save that information on their own web servers -- it gets transfered *one
way*
to their financial systems never to be copied back to a webserver which
might be hacked.

Old October 9th 10, 11:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

LOL! I just replied to AZ saying I did just that and it worked. Thanks!

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
No, that doesn't work - it's Norton that's the problem, it keeps
resetting itself to default parameters which means we can't get it to
stop deleting *ALL* cookies every time it runs a scan.

Get rid of Norton, it's so huge and slow and download yourself a free
antivirus program. AVG is good, I had that on my last computer.
With my new one, it came with Avira already installed, and that is
excellent too.
Tweed

Old October 9th 10, 11:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Default OT - Facebook Problem - *STILL*

I knew I shouldn't have proclaimed the problem was fixed because, for me,
it's *always* worse case scenario. Even switching from Norton to AVG didn't
help - we keep setting the "cookies" parameters, and it comes right behind
us and switches itself back to the default setting which tells it to refuse
all cookies. This is driving me whacko (granted that was a *very* short
ride).

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

"CatNipped" wrote in message
I don't know if it's because Ben had to rebuild my computer and went from
IE7 to IE8, but since them all my "log in" pages keep logging me out like
every 5 minutes. I have to keep logging in and logging in and it's a PITA.
Has anyone else had this problem and solved it?

Old October 10th 10, 12:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
AZ Nomad[_2_]

On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 17:21:15 -0500, CatNipped wrote:
OK, uninstalled Norton and installed AVG and the problem seems to be fixed!

for free antivirus programs, I like avast. It continously scans the system
doing just a few files at a time whereas programs like nortan/mcafee/avg
do a full system scan and pretty much make the system unuseable while the scan
is in progress.
Old October 10th 10, 12:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
AZ Nomad[_2_]

On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 17:52:04 -0500, CatNipped wrote:
I knew I shouldn't have proclaimed the problem was fixed because, for me,
it's *always* worse case scenario. Even switching from Norton to AVG didn't
help - we keep setting the "cookies" parameters, and it comes right behind
us and switches itself back to the default setting which tells it to refuse
all cookies. This is driving me whacko (granted that was a *very* short
ride).

maybe another program is doing it. Start uninstalling anything you
don't need. A lot of people have a tendancy to pile the crap on, try
this, try another, etc. without ever uninstalling stuff that isn't being
used. I'm always amazed when I see software for
3-4 deceased printers still installed, each using up 100-400 meg
of hard drive and starting god only knows what at bootup time.
Old October 10th 10, 01:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Thank you! I'm going to show this post to Ben (I can't touch a machine
without it dying, just like house plants - my children called me "The Boston
fern Killer") and we'll see where we are from there.

Old October 10th 10, 01:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote:
I knew I shouldn't have proclaimed the problem was fixed because, for me,
it's *always* worse case scenario. Even switching from Norton to AVG
didn't
help - we keep setting the "cookies" parameters, and it comes right behind
us and switches itself back to the default setting which tells it to
refuse
all cookies. This is driving me whacko (granted that was a *very* short
ride).

maybe another program is doing it. Start uninstalling anything you
don't need. A lot of people have a tendancy to pile the crap on, try
this, try another, etc. without ever uninstalling stuff that isn't being
used. I'm always amazed when I see software for
3-4 deceased printers still installed, each using up 100-400 meg
of hard drive and starting god only knows what at bootup time.

I've been given this type of advice for computer problems too. However,
while I know about newsgroups and word processing, what I don't know about
computers would fill a library. I have no idea how to tell what programs I
don't need, and can recognize only a few I know I do need.

Joy

Old October 10th 10, 01:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Ben just installed a new hard drive and boots from it, so I don't think it's
another program that's doing it. Thank you, though - I appreciate your
efforts on my behalf.

Old October 10th 10, 03:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
AZ Nomad[_2_]

On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 19:00:29 -0500, CatNipped wrote:
Thank you! I'm going to show this post to Ben (I can't touch a machine
without it dying, just like house plants - my children called me "The Boston
fern Killer") and we'll see where we are from there.

hee hee. I've tried my hand. Looking back at my mistakes on just one
rubber plant: I froze it (balcony near frost), burned it (direct
sunlight), pruned it, drowned it, and poisoned it (bug stuff).
Eventually I killed it and three others all in one shot by leaving
them outside during an early surprise denver snowstorm.
Old October 10th 10, 03:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

LOL! If they'd tested me to see whether I could have children by giving me
a plant to nurture, I wouldn't be a mother today!