Spicey was loud

Old November 6th 12, 12:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Spicey was loud

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

"Takayuki" wrote in message

I used to be one of those visitors. Spicey does attack visitors, and
also,
Suz's aides, particularly if they were new, but also ones who knew her
for
many years.

It wasn't her fault,was it? She became half-feral in her own house
because
she was unable to be touched by her meowmie.
Boyfie was going feral and it took years to get to where I am. You've
done
it in weeks. Suz would be proud of you.

It makes me think that Spicey probably longed for more company and social
contact than she had with Suz.

Why do you think that? she knew nothing else.
I'm very happy she is now with Tak who is doing well with his inherited
gift.

Old November 6th 12, 01:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message

It makes me think that Spicey probably longed for more company and social
contact than she had with Suz.

Why do you think that? she knew nothing else.

Social animals inherently have some basic social needs. Domestic cats have
needs for social interaction, touch, affection, etc. Not as much as dogs
do, obviously, but they still need it. Even if she had no awareness of what
was missing, it must have affected her. Look at how much she's blossoming.
She had food and shelter at Suz's, and she had social interaction with Suz,
too, but not the comfort of being petted, or other cats around. Those are
the things that are different now. So that's why I think she must have been
missing those things even if she didn't know what they were.

I'm very happy she is now with Tak who is doing well with his inherited
gift.

It's pretty incredible, isn't it?

--
Joyce

If your kid comes out of the bedroom and says he just shut down the
government, it seems to me he should at least have an outfit for that."
-- John Waters, on the sorry style of today's rebels

Old November 7th 12, 02:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Mon, 5 Nov 2012 23:22:25 +0000 (UTC), Bastette
wrote:
It makes me think that Spicey probably longed for more company and social
contact than she had with Suz. Now she has a human who can touch her, and
she seems both excited and scared by it at the same time, which would explain
why she's purring one minute and burying her fangs in the hand that pets
her the next.

But also - feline company! It's kind of amazing that she's accepting two
strange cats, in *their* territory, so quickly. Maybe what scares her the
most about humans is the size difference? At least other cats are on her
scale.

It's such a happy story! I love reading about it.

I also like living this story, but it would be easier if I could just read
about it. I also think that she likes being touched, but she's clearly
not used to it.

So I'm not rushing to get her used to being touched right now. I'm letting
her initiate touches. She surprisingly does the typical cute kitty thing
where she grabs your hand with a paw to rub it into her cheeks.
Old November 7th 12, 02:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Tue, 6 Nov 2012 00:12:59 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message
It makes me think that Spicey probably longed for more company and social
contact than she had with Suz.

Why do you think that? she knew nothing else.
I'm very happy she is now with Tak who is doing well with his inherited
gift.

She is definitely like an inheritance. I think that she had an excellent
home with Suz. Spicey probably got more undivided adoration as an only
kitty of a hoomin who usually couldn't go anywhere, than she does with 2
job 3 cat moi.

But it's definitely true that she's not used to being handled. I mean,
she's *really* dangerous. I already consider it inevitable that I'm going
to end up at the hospital again at some point, and have my health insurance
cards and everything all set to go.
Old November 7th 12, 02:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Mon, 5 Nov 2012 23:15:42 +0000 (UTC), Bastette
wrote:

Takayuki wrote:
They seem to have completely accepted Spicey. Spicey's fine with them too,
but has some cute residual insecure behaviors. Like a "delayed hiss" where
she seems to occasionally remember that these are strange cats, and hisses
several seconds after she passes by one, sometimes when they're already out
of sight.

That's pretty funny. Kind of like, "Oh wait - I forgot to hiss. I hiss in
your general direction!"

But she's not French.

Funny thing is that since I wrote that, I haven't heard any more delayed
hisses (or regular hisses) out of her. She seems to be emulating the other
two in some ways, and trying to fit in.
Old November 7th 12, 02:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 10:50:13 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
That's sweet! I love hearing how you've managed to integrate them. I
think you have a fine cat family in the making. They may not always
love each other but they're working it out. Thank you, Tak!

Jill

Well, thank you for sticking through these posts. Some of them get a little
longwinded, I know.
Old November 7th 12, 02:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 21:00:21 +0000 (GMT), Judith Latham
wrote:
That's fantastic!!!

What an excellent job you've done.

Bless you!

Judith

I'm just relieved. They've all been such good and adaptable little furkids.
Old November 7th 12, 02:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Mon, 5 Nov 2012 17:00:03 -0500, "JJ" wrote:
Methinks Spicey may be ready to join the family... you've done a great job
!!

Yeah, at this point, I'm really seeing zero problems in their social
interactions. I'm watching them closely, looking for problems, but I just
haven't found anything yet.
Old November 7th 12, 02:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ann791

wrote:

Takayuki wrote:
They seem to have completely accepted Spicey. Spicey's fine with them too,
but has some cute residual insecure behaviors. Like a "delayed hiss" where
she seems to occasionally remember that these are strange cats, and hisses
several seconds after she passes by one, sometimes when they're already out
of sight.

That's pretty funny. Kind of like, "Oh wait - I forgot to hiss. I hiss in
your general direction!"

But she's not French.

Funny thing is that since I wrote that, I haven't heard any more delayed
hisses (or regular hisses) out of her. She seems to be emulating the other
two in some ways, and trying to fit in.

Cats do learn from each other. At least at my house they do. By watching
the other cats get brushed Samwise learned that being brushed is a good
thing. Samwise was our rescue kitty and was almost feral when we trapped
him. He has gone from wild child to lap fungus. He comes up on his own
to sit with me.

Ann
Old November 7th 12, 06:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

I'm very happy she is now with Tak who is doing well with his inherited
gift.

It's pretty incredible, isn't it?

Yes. It is.

Very loud, squeaky purr [email protected] Cat anecdotes 0 July 15th 10 10:11 AM
How Loud? jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 15 August 30th 09 03:42 AM
How Loud Do Your Cats Purr? jmcquown Cat anecdotes 16 May 7th 06 06:39 PM
Where to get a loud bell? John Samstron Cat health & behaviour 7 March 31st 06 11:24 PM
Loud kittens Kreisleriana Cat anecdotes 7 December 14th 04 12:03 AM