Help! Need declawing alternatives!

Old October 5th 03, 10:48 PM
Annie Wxill

"Philip ®" wrote in message
ink.net...
In m,

.... I'd grab him/her
by the scruff of the neck or at the shoulders and dunk 'em under the
faucet of cold running water.

Philip

Good way to teach your cat not to trust you. Also a good way to get
scratched while dunking the cat.
You don't have to be a bully to teach your cat to be careful.
Annie

Old October 5th 03, 11:08 PM
Phil P.

"Leonessa" wrote in message
om...
I'm sorry if this got posted multiple times, I keep getting an error
message.

I have a one year old cat. He's very playful and wild. I have
scratches all over my arms, hands, legs, and face from his little
"play" attacks. It's hard for me to get truly angry at him, because
he's just playing...he doesn't mean to hurt me so much. And it
REALLY, REALLY hurts -- I'm sure my neighbors have heard me scream in
agony when he's dug his razor sharp claws into my skin.

I really don't want to declaw him! But if I don't figure out what to
do, I'm going to HAVE to get rid of him, despite how much I love that
little guy. There's no way I can continue this. I am always even
worried about having people over, because he attacks my guests!

I've only seen one declawing alternative online...I believe it was
called SoftPaws. This also concerns me, because I can't imagine my
cat letting me put these things on his claws without massive
bloodshed. But if people have truly found sucess with SoftPaws, I
could try to find a way.

Does anyone know about SoftPaws? Or any other declawing alternatives?

THANKS!!! Your responses are much appreciated, I'm in a really bad
situation here, because I love my cat, but I can't keep him if I don't
find a solution!

http://www.maxshouse.com/facts_about_declawing.htm

Trimming Claws & Soft Paws

http://www.maxshouse.com/Claw%20Trimming.htm

Old October 6th 03, 01:32 AM
MaryL

From: (Leonessa)

I have a one year old cat. He's very playful and wild. I have
scratches all over my arms, hands, legs, and face from his little
"play" attacks. It's hard for me to get truly angry at him, because
he's just playing...he doesn't mean to hurt me so much.

You must not play with the cat with your hands, or he will see you as

something
to attack. You must train him to use toys for play, not you.

Unfortunately, I
see this a lot with new cat owners, where they play with the kitten with

their
hands. Then when the kitten becomes a cat, those scratches hurt. But you
can't blame the cat and he shouldn't be made to pay by having the ends of

his
toes amputated. When he bites or scratches you, put him in the bedroom

for a 5
minute time out. Tell him firmly but gently "no". By ignoring him when

he
gets aggressive with you, he will learn. One of my cats' favorite toys is

the
feather on a stick toy that you play interactively with them.
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe

Good suggestions. In addition, try a laser pointer. Holly loves it -- in
fact, she comes dashing from anywhere in the house when she hears me open
the drawer where it is stored. I am careful not to let the light reflect in
her eyes, although I understand that it is not powerful enough to do damage.
Be sure to get the type with replaceable (preferably rechargeable)
batteries.

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly (pictorial history of my blind cat Duffy's
integration into our household):
Duffy, Part I: The Introduction -- http://tinyurl.com/8y54
Duffy, Part II: Life at Home -- http://tinyurl.com/8y56

Old October 6th 03, 01:32 AM
MaryL

Old October 6th 03, 01:40 AM
Philip ®

In ,
Annie Wxill being of bellicose mind posted:
"Philip ®" wrote in message
ink.net...
In m,

... I'd grab him/her
by the scruff of the neck or at the shoulders and dunk 'em under
the faucet of cold running water.

Philip

Good way to teach your cat not to trust you. Also a good way to get
scratched while dunking the cat.
You don't have to be a bully to teach your cat to be careful.
Annie

That's your theory which has never been born out in any of my/our
cats. You CANNOT get scratched when "restraining" a cat by holding
firmly to the skin covering the area between the shoulders (just
below the nap of the neck) and lifting the cat off the ground. When
you do try to restrain and adult cat by the holding onto the back of
the neck, you do run the risk of choking off the cat's ability to
breathe which makes the cat all the more anxious to escape. That's
why you get hold a few inches lower .... the area between the
shoulder blades. The paws get outstretched, the cat doesn't choke,
and you are BEHIND the cat. Perhaps your cat is built differently?
LOL Annie.... I have not had a fraction of the behavioral issues or
bizarre health problems with cats that I have read about in this
forum.
--

~~Philip

"Never let school interfere