Kinda OT...Entertainment for Gizmo

Old December 8th 03, 11:27 PM
Gizela

Default Kinda OT...Entertainment for Gizmo

I have just got, for Xmas, a tropical fish tank......30 inches, with stand
and all the other paraphernalia that goes with it. It is cat proof....I
think....well, its too heavy for her to knock over (100 odd kg of water in
it), has *heavy* glass lids and a hood (hinged). Though when it comes to
coloured moving objects...well....she'll be watched thats for sure.

DF can't wait to get the fish in there so he can see her hopefully futile
attempts at trying to get them. I will add the water tonight (its had 3
lacquer coats over the last 3 days) and add the fish after a week
(apparently thats standard practise).

That said, she has gotten goldfish out of a bowl before but that was an open
bowl (actually, the second time she managed to get the rubberband sealed
flyscreen off). The guy at the shop said the new aquarium was
cat-proof.....perhaps he doesn't know cats as well as we do.

Has anyone else had experience with larger aquariums and their cats? Any
comments would be appreciated.

Purrs

Angela

Old December 9th 03, 01:20 AM
TJ and The Dust

Oh yeah, I got a doozy of a story! LOL. I will post it in a bit when I have
more time. Gotta go "pill" and feed The Dust!

TJ

Old December 9th 03, 03:53 AM
Victor Martinez

Gizela wrote:
Has anyone else had experience with larger aquariums and their cats? Any
comments would be appreciated.

First of all, congratulations for getting an aquarium. We have two, a
large 110 gallon tank and a small 20 gallon long. The cats love both of
them. I'd suggest you spend a little time learning about the nitrogen
cycle, a good source of information is faq.thekrib.com
The more you learn before you add fish, the less fish you'll kill.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old December 9th 03, 04:03 AM
Gizela

Thanks....It came with an undergravel filter....apparentlt they are crap so
I just got myself a power filter....plus a nitrate and ammonia test
kit.....I've visited some aquarium newsgroups and asked questions...

Was it you I saw there yesterday??

Purrs

Angela
"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
news

Old December 9th 03, 12:45 PM
Victor Martinez

Gizela wrote:
Was it you I saw there yesterday??

Yeap. I didn't recognize you at first, or I would've replied sooner. I
don't care for UGF, and I prefer canister. However, canister is overkill
for small tanks. In those cases, a filter with a bio-wheel is probably
best.
Please feel free to ask me any questions you might have!

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old December 9th 03, 11:50 PM
Kim Walters

I've had both small 10 gal mixed tanks, and 50 gal species tanks (you do not
mix jewel cichlids with anything else unless you want that "something else"
to be lunch) and I think we had a 125 gal. This was many years ago. I
always preferred the smaller tetra's and some of the smaller (and calmer)
cichlids (like Kribs).

I haven't had a tank for 5+ years, no good place to set it up in the house.

--
-Kim

owned by Egbert, Niobe, Sekhar and Rocket
take the cat out before you reply
one cat just leads to another...

http://photos.yahoo.com/sir_eg_of_bert