More dogs and cats go under the ... laser

Old January 22nd 04, 06:33 PM
Alison

shelly ,
I posted this on the cat group , didn't realise it was crossposted .
I've had this conversation on RPDB before and given the links etc.
There's not much point me discussing it on RPDB because it's me
saying it . I'm not saying anything different than what has been said
on the cat group by Americans and its better they discuss it with you.
I hope that makes sense .
I'm half way through a 6 months cat behaviour course , I have two
essays to write by the end of the month and a 5000 special study by
April that I haven't even started so I have no wish to become involved
in another long thread , just google for the last one G
Alison

"shelly" wrote in message
arble.net...

i'm not a fan of declawing, but i think most people have it
done out of ignorance, not malice[1]. seems to me it would be
more effective to explain why--in graphic detail!--you think
declawing is heinous than to characterize them as people
incapable of loving their pets.

[1] i think there are rare cases when declawing a cat may save
its life. there are some things that are worse than death,
but declawing, IMO, isn't one of them. for example, i had a
hell of a time teaching my newest feral that, though claws do
indeed beat skin, he doesn't need to demonstrate the principle
at every opportunity. i've finally managed to drill some
sense into his head, but it took a couple of years of being
scratched all to hell. i can't say i'd blame another owner
for being unwilling to put up with what i've put up with.

It so sad to see stuff like this printed in papers , it
undoes all the good work of vets and other people who are
trying to educate cat owners and stop this practise.

on *that* i'll agree. i hate to see declawing treated so
cavalierly. i don't want to see an outright ban on it,
because i *do* think there are rare cases where, as a last
resort, it may save a cat's life. OTOH, it breaks my heart
when people casually decide to have it done.

--
shelly (perfectly foul wench) and elliott and harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette

Old January 22nd 04, 06:50 PM
shelly

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Alison wrote:

I posted this on the cat group , didn't realise it was
crossposted .

heh. i nearly snipped the xpost to rpch+b when i saw it.

I'm half way through a 6 months cat behaviour course , I
have two essays to write by the end of the month and a 5000
special study by April that I haven't even started so I have
no wish to become involved in another long thread , just
google for the last one G

no, thanks. i understand that you're busy, and didn't intend
to drag you into an uberthread, but did you actually read my
post? i think we agree more than we disagree. i expect
you're of the opinion that there is *no* good reason to
declaw, and i can understand that. i think it's a valid POV.
mine differs slightly, but no biggie.

Old January 22nd 04, 06:59 PM
Alison

"diddy" wrote in message

Alison, I like you.

I can't think why.

I'm not going to argue. But Assuming someone hates cats
because they declaw them is forcing someone into a mold, and saying,
everyone's opinion MUST have my opinion or they are wrong. Very

Jerryesque,
don't you think?

I didn't say hate, actually.
You can compare me to who you like. As Jack likes to say, "Frankly
my dear, I don't give a damn"
Alison