taurine and microwave

Old February 28th 04, 02:25 AM
Aquagrrl

Default taurine and microwave

Will taurine be destroyed when you microwave cat food? I've started
making my own cat food with suppliments, and have recently become
aware of the fact that heat destroys taurine. So, will 30 seconds in a
microwave to warm up cat food destroy the taurine? Or is that short
enough that I shouldn't have to worry about it?
Old February 29th 04, 02:28 AM
Dennis Carr

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:25:55 -0800, Aquagrrl wrote:

Will taurine be destroyed when you microwave cat food? I've started
making my own cat food with suppliments, and have recently become
aware of the fact that heat destroys taurine. So, will 30 seconds in a
microwave to warm up cat food destroy the taurine? Or is that short
enough that I shouldn't have to worry about it?

My question is this - are you serving the food warm? If not, you can add
the taurine when you serve it, I'd think, and not have a problem.

Alternatively, perhaps you could add the taurine to the cats' water?

--
Dennis Carr - | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.

Old February 29th 04, 07:34 PM
Aquagrrl

Dennis Carr wrote in message . ..
On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:25:55 -0800, Aquagrrl wrote:

Will taurine be destroyed when you microwave cat food? I've started
making my own cat food with suppliments, and have recently become
aware of the fact that heat destroys taurine. So, will 30 seconds in a
microwave to warm up cat food destroy the taurine? Or is that short
enough that I shouldn't have to worry about it?

My question is this - are you serving the food warm? If not, you can add
the taurine when you serve it, I'd think, and not have a problem.

Alternatively, perhaps you could add the taurine to the cats' water?

I do serve it warm, that's why I'm microwaving it. They don't like it
refrigerator cold. I'm not sure about adding it to the water, though,
they rarely drink out of "their" water dish, prefering any source of
water pretty much other than that. Maybe its time for one of those new
fangled fountain water dishes.