Cat Parks

Old February 24th 04, 06:48 PM
Cat Protector

Default Cat Parks

Right now they have dog parks in the city where we live that are sponsored
by the city, but I couldn't help but think that maybe we cat lovers should
also have place to go with our feline friends that is sponsored by the city.
What do you all think?

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

Old February 24th 04, 10:15 PM
Hailey

Right now they have dog parks in the city where we live that are sponsored
by the city, but I couldn't help but think that maybe we cat lovers should
also have place to go with our feline friends that is sponsored by the

city.
What do you all think?

I think it's a great idea, I just don't know how it would work? My cats are
NOT social with other kitties, like our dog was.
My cats are GREAT socializers with people. have to check other ppl out, but
not other kitties.

Old February 25th 04, 03:33 AM
Sherry

--

Cripes, CP. There you go again, asking "What do you all think?" ... when you
really don't want to hear it. What do I think? Go find out how many cats are

Sherry

Old February 25th 04, 03:45 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
Right now they have dog parks in the city where we live that are sponsored
by the city, but I couldn't help but think that maybe we cat lovers should
also have place to go with our feline friends that is sponsored by the

city.
What do you all think?

I think it's apples & oranges. What makes sense for a bunch of dogs & their
owners doesn't necessarily make sense for a bunch of cats & their owners.

The only possible scenario I'm coming up with would be for a big city
dweller, who has no lawn space or screened porch, etc. at home, & would like
their cats to experience the outdoors - fresh air, sights & sounds of the
outside at ground level, grass, whatever. (Many large city buildings have
no screens in their windows, so kitty can't always safely sit in an open
window for fresh air & sounds of the great outdoors.) But there would
probably have to be secure individually enclosed areas for each person to
bring their cat(s) - to prevent cats from getting stuck up in trees, cat
fights, cat/dog fights, etc., etc. Then there'd be the vaccination issue,
if cats could possibly interact w/ eachother. And would collars, harnesses,
&/or leashes be required? Etc., etc.

As I said, apples & oranges, IMO.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old February 25th 04, 08:31 AM
Fat Freddy

Right now they have dog parks in the city where we live that are sponsored
by the city, but I couldn't help but think that maybe we cat lovers should
also have place to go with our feline friends that is sponsored by the

city.

I know there are exceptions, like show cats for example, but in my
experience most cats don't seem to enjoy being around large numbers of
other cats or being too near humans other than their owners.

Old February 25th 04, 12:33 PM
KellyH

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
Well I was asked by one of the candidates running for the Scottsdale city
council how it would work. My idea is to have an indoor facility possibly
with scratching posts, water stations, stuff to climb on, and of course a
litter area if the cats need to go potty.

That sounds like my house. Why on earth would anyone go though putting
their cats in a carrier and listening to them howl in the car in order to
bring them to a room with scratching posts (woo hoo!) and a bunch of people
and cats they don't know, so they can then go find something to hide under,
or, hiss and get in a fight with the stranger cats. Just go Google cat
introductions and you will see how many cats can't stand the sight of other
cats. Most cats that are fine with other cats don't go run up and play with
them, either. It usually takes some time for the cats to get used to one
another. Most cats don't like being in unfamiliar places.

The outdoor version might have
these things but humans could walk their kitty on a leash and harness.

There
could also be an area for cats that like to go outside but may not get

along
with other cats. It certainly would be a great way for other cat lovers to
socialize. BTW, this candidate for City Council is a cat person and has

cats
so if he elected he seemed open to the idea.

Still don't understand why this is needed. If you walk your cats on a
leash, why do you need a designated place to do it? I thought the idea of a
dog park is so the dogs can run off leash. Cat people can socialize many
other ways, like volunteering at an animal shelter.

I also brought up the issue of making declawing illegal within city

limits.
There is already an animal abuse code in Scottsdale so it could be

ammended
to include declawing.

OK, there's something I agree with. I wish it was illegal in the whole
country.

The candidate I spoke with says his cats are not
declawed and the ones roaming in his neighborhood shouldn't be.

Huh? Is someone going around declawing stray cats?

It was
certainly enough for me to want to vote for the guy (besides other

issues).
I hope he gets in because maybe my dream of a cat park and a law against
declawing could become reality. Of course an anti-declaw law is not

unusual
since apparently North Hollywood has one so it would be nice if the city

of
Scottsdale has one. It'd have to be a wait and see since the elections for
Mayor and City Council are in a couple of weeks.

I agree with the other posters. Your efforts would be better spent working
on that would truly help cats like TNR programs for ferals and aid for
shelters, not cat parks.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net