Our cat had a little accident. :( Advice please!

Old November 10th 05, 04:18 AM
cybercat

Default Our cat had a little accident. :( Advice please!

"Rhonda" wrote in message
Ivor Jones wrote:

"-L." wrote in message
ups.com

cybercat wrote:

[snip]

The best thing to do for an injured animal is to take
it to the vet immediately.

Um, no it isn't. The best thing to do is to assess the
wound and make a decision about whether or not it needs
medical condition. You simply lack common sense.

Unless you have medical/veterinary training you do not have the

necessary
knowledge to make such a decision. If you argue otherwise you are simply
*wrong* and that's an end to it.

But do you access your own wounds without a doctor's degree? Do you look
to see if it's major or minor cut or scrape before going to the doctor,
or should that only be determined by someone with a medical degree?

That is not the same thing as assessing my cat's injury, to me. I am *in* my
own skin and have been for a while. I have a number of years of experience
with my own injuries and illnesses. I can feel my own pain. It is a
completely
different thing with a cat in my care. Do I need to spell it out?

From my point of view, we all have different comfort levels with assessing
injuries and illnesses of our cats, for a variety of reasons. First among
them
is the fact that we have varying levels of experience and knowledge of cats
and their physiology. Second is the fact that some of us would rather spend
the money they might spend at the vet making sure their cat is okay on other
things. Third is the fact that some of us derive our senses of self worth
from
how big we can puff ourselves up in Usenet groups using our self-proclaimed
knowledge of cats in terms of injury and illness. And then there is the
unfortunate fact that far too many authoritarian personalities with severe
self esteem issues seek out pet and child guardianship so that they might
feel superior to someone, something, anyone, anything. In this case,
anything
goes. Anything at all, as long as the narcissistic piece of **** can end up
feeling better about his or herself. The latter is the type who might, for
example, worry about whether or not their vet is laughing at them for
bringing their cat in just to be sure she is okay. Normal people just want
be sure the cat they love is okay.

But that is just my point of view.

Old November 10th 05, 07:23 AM
-L.

cybercat wrote:
snip

From my point of view, we all have different comfort levels with assessing
injuries and illnesses of our cats, for a variety of reasons. First among
them
is the fact that we have varying levels of experience and knowledge of cats
and their physiology.

It's not neuroscience - it's a scratch.

[...]

....Or maybe, just maybe, they statements like this...

"The best thing to do for an injured animal is to take it to the
vet immediately. Anyone who argues against that simply does
not care about their animals as much as those who argue for it. "

....so that they can feel superior to those whose opinions they don't
share in order to compensate for their own lack of self-esteem? So
that they can tell themselves that they love their cats more than
others, again, to compensate for that same lack of self-worth?

Why don't you take a LONG look at whom in this newsgroup has experience
in veterinary medicine, in shelters, as a volunteer, and does rescue.
A "normal person" (your quote) would recognize experience when they
see it and not be threatened by it.

Enough said.

-L.

Old November 10th 05, 07:27 AM
-L.

cybercat wrote:
The OP posted a few days ago with the story and a photo of the cut.
Some said he should not take his cat in to the vet, some said he should.
He did not. Two days later the cut was infected.

The *scrape* was also exascerbated by the cat scratching it - it was
now NOT the same wound. Had the cat not scratched the *scrape* it
would most likely have healed well in a couple of days, without
infection. From the photos and the description, the wound *clearly*
did not need professional medical attention.

He is now taking the
cat to the vet.

You figure it out.

You're the one who is obtuse as a triangle.

-L.