Thomas UPDATE 3 Purrs still needed...

Old June 8th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Thomas UPDATE 3 Purrs still needed...

Mary and I have just got back from the TED with Thomas where we
discussed his blood results. It seems that he has gone hyperthyroid
again. He had an op to remove his thyroid 2 years ago, and now the other
one is playing up. He also has high liver enzyme levels, rotten teeth
causing a systemic infection, and a temperature of 102/103 again.

Thomas's TED has said that he needs to start thyroid tablets to try and
get his thyroid under control, and we're going to try and sort him out a
bit at a time. If he is physically up to it in a few weeks, TED *may* go
for a dental, but there is no way we can do a thyroid operation as it
will likely kill him. That's also the concern with a dental anaesthetic,
and he's certainly not up to it at the moment. Mary got very stressed
and asked how long Thomas has left. The vet really impressed me when he
said that "I don't know, my oldest patient is 23, most cats live between
16 and 18, and so he's heading into very old age." He also said that
he's not at all scapel happy, and prefers to treat gently.

So, I get to help Mary pill Thomas twice a day with thyroid tablets and
antibiotics, and he goes back to see TED a week Monday.

The TED's dealing with Thomas are so good, I'm considering changing my
guys over to them because they act as the 24 hour emergency service for
my vet anyway, and they have vet staff on site 24/7 for hospital
patients. We'll see.

So, please continue to purr for Thomas. He's still a sick little boy.

Ta muchly
Helen M

Old June 8th 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Purrs for Thomas, and for Mary and you.

Joy

news:cad7aee0be0e626b4c8ae46164154cd9.76411@mygate .mailgate.org...

Old June 8th 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Joy wrote:
Purrs for Thomas, and for Mary and you.

Joy

Many purrs for Thomas.

--Fil

Old June 8th 06, 07:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Helen Miles wrote:
[...]

Continuing purrs for as long as needed.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old June 8th 06, 08:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Helen Miles" wrote in message
news:cad7aee0be0e626b4c8ae46164154cd9.76411@mygate .mailgate.org...
Mary and I have just got back from the TED with Thomas where we
discussed his blood results. It seems that he has gone hyperthyroid
again. He had an op to remove his thyroid 2 years ago, and now the other
one is playing up.

The other one? What other one? do cats have two thyroid glands then?
Humans certainly don't.
Has he been getting his thyroid replacement tablets regularly?

He also has high liver enzyme levels, rotten teeth
causing a systemic infection, and a temperature of 102/103 again.

Oh dear. A reasonable liver function is essential to be able to take an
anaesthetic :-( I have an idea that there are drugs that can be given to
"prop up the liver" in an emergency, as my vet once offered it. It sounds
like one of the best things would be to sort out his teeth if he can be got
well enough to take an anaesthetic.

[...]

We will continue to purr for him from Leicestershire.

Tweed, KFC, Boyfie

Old June 8th 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:

The other one? What other one? do cats have two thyroid glands then?
Humans certainly don't.

Yes, they do:
http://www.whitneysvet.com/hyperthyroid.html
Often the vet will remove just one gland first, to see if this helps the
condition enough.

The human thyroid is very similar except it has two lobes joined by a
narrow isthmus. Variations on a theme.

Deb.

--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old June 8th 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Debbie Wilson" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

The other one? What other one? do cats have two thyroid glands then?
Humans certainly don't.

Yes, they do:
http://www.whitneysvet.com/hyperthyroid.html
Often the vet will remove just one gland first, to see if this helps the
condition enough.

The human thyroid is very similar except it has two lobes joined by a
narrow isthmus. Variations on a theme.

Blimey! I love this group, I learn something new every week.
Thanks, Deb.

Tweed

Tweed

Old June 8th 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Helen Miles" wrote in message
news:cad7aee0be0e626b4c8ae46164154cd9.76411@mygate .mailgate.org...
Mary and I have just got back from the TED with Thomas where we
discussed his blood results. It seems that he has gone hyperthyroid
again. He had an op to remove his thyroid 2 years ago, and now the
other
one is playing up. He also has high liver enzyme levels, rotten
teeth
causing a systemic infection, and a temperature of 102/103 again.

snipped

Continued purrs for Thomas.

Once his thyroid is under control his liver enzyme levels should
return to normal.

--
Shirley
http://community.webshots.com/user/shirleycatuk