[OT] Plebian Tastes

Old June 22nd 06, 11:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Plebian Tastes

No! "Filet mignon" is a particular cut of the tenderloin.
What the cook does with it when (s)he gets it home is up to
her. I have honestly NEVER seen it wrapped in bacon, at any
meat counter where I ever shopped.

Yes. My parents are farmers, and when I was little, when we had steak,
my parents knew what part of the steak would've been the filet mignon
if they'd cut the meat differently, and they would cut that part out
and give it to me and Grandma, becuase it was tender and easier for us
to chew. (I almost choked on meat when I was 3 and my parents were
nervous about me and meat for years afterwards.)

Now I /have/ had filet mignon in restaurants wrapped in bacon. In that
case, firstly the filets were cut by themselves (as little round pieces
of meat) as opposed to being left in as part of a bigger steak, and
secondly I like bacon so I was fine with that

--Fil

Old June 22nd 06, 11:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] Plebian Tastes

CatNipped wrote:

wrote in message

badwilson wrote:

No! "Filet mignon" is a particular cut of the tenderloin.
What the cook does with it when (s)he gets it home is up to
her. I have honestly NEVER seen it wrapped in bacon, at any
meat counter where I ever shopped. (I think most gourmets
who buy such expensive cuts regularly would be horrified at
the very thought!) Of course, customs may vary, depending
upon where you live, but speaking for the upper Midwest and
California, filet mignon with bacon would definitely be
regarded as "peculiar"!

I see it wrapped in bacon all the time in various grocery stores here in
Florida. But it's always two very tiny cuts, bacon wrapped, for about $15 -
$20. Um, no thanks.

kili

Old June 22nd 06, 12:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

kilikini wrote:
If it's so bland, why does it cost so much???

The usual, supply and demand.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old June 22nd 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"badwilson" wrote in message
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
CatNipped wrote:

wrote in message

badwilson wrote:

I have to agree here. I love the *meat* of filet mignon, but the
bacon totally ruins it for me. I love bacon too, but I find that
it's flavour is just too strong and overwhelms all other flavours.
When I eat meat, I want to taste the meat, not bacon! For this
reason I also never eat bacon burgers. Bacon is for breakfast,
IMO, and nothing else.

LOL. Well, I really like bacon burgers, but I have to admit that
I've never tasted any bacon on filet mignon. Is this standard? I
just thought that filet mignon was a thick and tender cut of meat.

I don't hate it, but I'm not overwhelmed by it, either, so it's
really not worth the money for me. I'd much rather have a prime
rib, or a good cut of NY sirloin, with teriyaki sauce, yum!

I *think* (and anyone who knows, correct me if I'm wrong) it being
wrapped in bacon is what makes it filet mignon - otherwise it's just
a filet.

No! "Filet mignon" is a particular cut of the tenderloin.
What the cook does with it when (s)he gets it home is up to
her. I have honestly NEVER seen it wrapped in bacon, at any
meat counter where I ever shopped. (I think most gourmets
who buy such expensive cuts regularly would be horrified at
the very thought!) Of course, customs may vary, depending
upon where you live, but speaking for the upper Midwest and
California, filet mignon with bacon would definitely be
regarded as "peculiar"!

It is definitely not peculiar. Filet mignon wrapped in bacon (like a
circle around the outside) is quite common. And it's usually not
regular breakfast bacon but proscuttio or something similar. I have
seen it in butcher shops that way and also in some quite fancy
restaurants in various regions. I don't remember if I ever saw it that
way in California, but I've never been to the Midwest, so can't speak
for there.
--

It is sold vaccuum-packed in some sort of disgusting saline
solution in major grocery chains, wrapped in bacon. This

Old June 22nd 06, 01:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
Takayuki wrote:

I think that the point of the filet mignon is the texture - when it's
served rare, it's very tender for such a lean cut of beef. But it's
not a cut with much flavor - it tastes fairly bland.

Maybe that's why I don't care too much about it. Other beef cuts are
far more tasty, so why spend a fortune on something bland?

Bland?? It is the most flavorful and tender cut of beef there is.
I am thinking you like fatty meats that are easier on your wallet.

Old June 22nd 06, 01:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:

wrote in message

badwilson wrote:

[...]

seen it wrapped in bacon, at any meat counter where I ever shopped. (I
think most gourmets who buy such expensive cuts regularly would be
horrified at the very thought!) Of course, customs may vary, depending
upon where you live, but speaking for the upper Midwest and California,
filet mignon with bacon would definitely be regarded as "peculiar"!

Well, whenever I've seen it served in a restaurant it has always been
wrapped in bacon. These cuts came already wrapped in bacon and were being
sold as a "Father's Day Special" at a very low price which is the only
reason I bought it, not being a red meat fan.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 22nd 06, 02:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
kilikini wrote:
If it's so bland, why does it cost so much???

The usual, supply and demand.

Like baby back ribs? There's absolutely no meat on them and they cost a
fortune!

kili

Old June 22nd 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"cybercat" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
All my life I've heard how wonderful filet mignon is - rich people seem
rave about it

Lori, have you gone brain dead? Filet mignon is just a lean and tender
cut of steak that you can"t make tough, which is the only reason I ever
bought it. Plus, people are used to getting a very small serving of it,
so
in the end it is no more expensive than that ribeye you toss on the grill.
The small portion is even better for people who are trying to watch fat
and cholesterol consumption.

I'm not a big red meat fan, as I said. In fact the only meat I eat fairly
often is turkey, but if I had my druthers I'd stick to veggies and seafood.
Ben and I saw this "Father's Day Special" - packaged already wrapped in
bacon - at the grocery, and since it was at a good price we thought we'd
give it a try. He says it wasn't bacon it was wrapped in but prosciutto,
but I really don't like any part of a pig, so it just didn't taste good to
me. It was very tender, though.

Maybe it's just a regional thing here in Houston and New Orleans, but
whenever I've seen it in a restaurant (and oil company luncheons are held at
*very* upscale restaurants) it has always been wrapped in bacon (or
prosciutto, which looks like bacon to me!).

And why are you poking at me with your sh*t-stirring stick? ;

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 22nd 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

kilikini wrote:
Like baby back ribs? There's absolutely no meat on them and they cost a
fortune!

Cuz they're so good smoked!!!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old June 22nd 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"cybercat" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
All my life I've heard how wonderful filet mignon is - rich people seem
rave about it

Lori, have you gone brain dead? Filet mignon is just a lean and tender
cut of steak that you can"t make tough, which is the only reason I ever
bought it. Plus, people are used to getting a very small serving of it,
so
in the end it is no more expensive than that ribeye you toss on the

grill.
The small portion is even better for people who are trying to watch fat
and cholesterol consumption.

I'm not a big red meat fan, as I said. In fact the only meat I eat fairly
often is turkey, but if I had my druthers I'd stick to veggies and

seafood.

Catnipped, I'm a veggie/seafood person myself. :~) You can come over and
eat at my house anytime!

kili