Cat Claw Ripped Out

Old August 17th 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mr E

Default Cat Claw Ripped Out

my sisters rabbit did the exact same thing and we took it to the vet, a
bandage was applied to keep it clean and she was given anti biotics, I take
it your little fur ball will prob need the same. would be sore id say,
breaking a nail to the quick and hitting it off something is sore enough
never mind having to walk around on it lol

"-L." wrote in message
ups.com...

Bgarland2011 wrote:
Is there anything that can be done for a cat that has ripped out one of
his
front claws?

This is called an avulsed nail. It needs to be surgically removed.

-L.

Old August 21st 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Fat Freddy

Is there anything that can be done for a cat that has ripped out one of his
front claws?

That happened to my cat and I didn't notice it until it started to
smell, which of course indicated infection. I took him to the vet and
he was going to declaw that toe but I told him just to clean it up.

The bandage lasted about two hours before kitty was able to get it off,
but during the next few days I watched it closely and cleaned it a
couple times a day with Betadine.

It healed up fine, a new claw grew out, and there is no sign of the injury.

Old August 21st 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
yngver

Fat Freddy wrote:
Is there anything that can be done for a cat that has ripped out one of his
front claws?

That happened to my cat and I didn't notice it until it started to
smell, which of course indicated infection. I took him to the vet and
he was going to declaw that toe but I told him just to clean it up.

The bandage lasted about two hours before kitty was able to get it off,
but during the next few days I watched it closely and cleaned it a
couple times a day with Betadine.

It healed up fine, a new claw grew out, and there is no sign of the injury.

Yes, when this happened to our cat, the vet said she might have to
declaw her on that one toe. I really didn't want to do that, and just
as with your cat, the toe healed fine and the new claw that grew out
looks perfectly normal. I'd never rush into declawing if it can be
avoided, even if it's just one toe.
-yngver