Food for flat nosed cat?

Old November 1st 03, 08:57 PM
Karen M.

The kind of person who would breed a cat to look like an owl...

Sherry wrote:
Look at the cat pictured, it doesn't even *look* like a freakin'
cat! It
looks like a mogwi or something!!

"Open, pansy-like faces?" Gimme a break. Did anyone else pick up on *this*
sentence:: "Playful but never demanding, they love to pose and will drape
themselves in a favorite window or chair, enhancing the decor in much the same
way as a treasured painting." Now, honestly. Who in the world describes a cat
as "enhancing the decor."

Sherry

Old November 1st 03, 11:42 PM
Mary

PawsForThought wrote:
No, he really thinks she is brown and has no grey in her. I tell
him he's colorblind

You know, lots of men are. Also, I just think color doesn't interest
some men enough to really pay attention. Does he ever wear the wrong
color socks?

I have seen siamese pop up in litters of tabbies and torties
at the shelters where I volunteer. There was a thread in one of
the cat groups about it somewhere. Siamese with pretty faces and
head shapes are all too common at the shelters around here. I need
a bigger house and a more understanding husband!

I bet they're beautiful cats

They really are. Lauren, I am not generally one of these super sappy
types,
but the first day I stood in a room of the shelter where I got my baby
Cheeks
changed mylife. I cannot describe the feeling--I just wanted them all
and felt so
terrible that I couldn't give them all homes. They were all
very sweet and socialized, in an upstairs bedroom in kennels that
lined
the walls, some walking around, none meowing, most peering at me
and rubbing up against me like "take MEEEEEE! I'm nice!" When I went
home to decide I told everyone about these cats. Nobody cared. It
amazes me that there are people who live totally alone and do not
want a cat "because of the mess." Anyway, since then I have felt
myself
to be on the decidedly eccentric side about cats. Mostly because I
feel
so alone in my affection for them. Except here, of course!

Lauren
________

Old November 2nd 03, 03:54 AM
PawsForThought

From: "Mary"

PawsForThought wrote:
No, he really thinks she is brown and has no grey in her. I tell
him he's colorblind

You know, lots of men are. Also, I just think color doesn't interest
some men enough to really pay attention. Does he ever wear the wrong
color socks?

He probably would except all his socks are black, LOL.

[...]

Yes, I know the feeling. I remember when my last cat died, a woman at work
says "oh, so why don't you get another cat." She just didn't get it

Lauren
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe
Old November 2nd 03, 03:54 AM
PawsForThought

Old November 3rd 03, 02:10 PM
Sherry

People want to make a new breed, more power to them, but they should be
as responsible as anyone and check for genetic defects and other health
problems.

The pics were cute and all, but I just couldn't help thinking, it's just
another mixed breed dog. I guess I just think that way. But next time we have
a lookalike at the shelter, now I can say "Oh, he must be a Labradoodle." LOL.

Old November 3rd 03, 05:38 PM
Napoleon

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote in message ...
"Karen M." wrote in message
Mary wrote:

I know this is not going to be helpful so I apologize in advance. But
the only thing that could help the larger situation is if you could
somehow stop cruel idiots from breeding these cats this way. Sick,
shallow cretins decide on some "fashion" in looks for helpless animals
then breed deformity in. My niece (offspring of a woman who taught her
to know better) had TWO of these sad monsters, for which she paid
hundreds of dollars a piece. They have literally NO face, seen from a
distance. One sad little boy died from tumors at less than a year old.
The girl lives on but has constant problems with her respiratory
system, growths, etc. She cannot eat without getting a face full of
food but little in her mouth. This when perfectly beautiful strays are
being put to death every day. I am disgusted with my niece and the
whole subject.

And seriously, I don't know what to do about it, if there is anything.

Mary, not helpful to the particular problem, maybe, but I agree with
what you say. It makes me angry that people do this kind of stuff to
animals, it's disgusting. I'm just glad this woman didn't buy the cat,
she adopted him, so at least *she* didn't line some dumba*s's pockets.

I've been thinking - could the problem possibly be that his eyes are too
close to the plate, so it kind of freaks him out?

I think the nose may be even more of a problem than the eyes (but that is a
possibility I hadn't considered previously). Breeders have taken an
absolutely gorgeous cat (the "traditional" Persian) and created what is
often a truly ugly, punched-in face. The nose and mouth are now so closely
aligned that I think they may have trouble without getting food in the
nostrils. Your comment about the eyes makes me think that could also be a
problem!

MaryL

As we have been looking at cats to replace (well, not replace-succeed
may be a better term) our late lamented companion of 19 years (sniff!)
I've spent some time looking at various cats and I agree, what a shame
the thing that breeders have done to some Persians. It's not too hard
to find pics of "traditional Persians" as you refer to them, and as
you say, they're so pretty (although most of the ones I've seen aren't
my cup of tea personality-wise). I wonder what got in people's heads
that they felt like they wanted to breed cats to get the extreme flat
face that some have. Poor things, to be born with problems that have
basically been designed in by people for vanity's sake.