Okay Tweed here goes

Old January 10th 14, 02:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Okay Tweed here goes

My Xmas present to myself is a 10 litre Halogen oven with all the bits (I thought the 7 litre was the better size but then things like the air fryer ring doesn't come in that size..well give that Phillips make air fryer machines and they're a lot more expensive that saves money. Dave loves oven chips so the ring will soon pay for itself since otherwise you have to pre heat the oven and put them in for 30 or so minutes) I've even brought my first ever cook book (The other one I have was a gift)

So here goes,,any really basic tips?

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old January 10th 14, 07:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
My Xmas present to myself is a 10 litre Halogen oven with all the bits (I
thought the 7 litre was the better size but then things like the air fryer
ring doesn't come in that size..well give that Phillips make air fryer
machines and they're a lot more expensive that saves money. Dave loves oven
chips so the ring will soon pay for itself since otherwise you have to pre
heat the oven and put them in for 30 or so minutes) I've even brought my
first ever cook book (The other one I have was a gift)

So here goes,,any really basic tips?

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

----------
What brand is it for a start?
The first tip is that it burns food easily on the top without cooking the
bottom IYSWIM, so you need to learn to manage this by using foil to cover
i.e. pies and pin the foil down with one of the racks otherwise it will
float away. The foil, not the pie ;-)
2. You have to be careful with oven chips, use the extender ring with the
high rack and watch them very carefully otherwise they'll be burnt to a
cinder.
3. Remember that the temperatures you used in a conventional oven for the
same food will be too hot in your halogen oven so tone it down and cut the
time.

You'll have to experiment as I did, but I'm happy with mine and I use it
quite a lot.
I broke the bowl (or rather it broke itself!) on my first one, so I bought
another, this time digital. I thought it would be better but unlike my
first one with turning controls which were quite happy to keep going along
if I removed the top and switched it off to turn food, the digital one
didn't like this and needed to be reset, so I'm using the old top on the new
bowl - fits fine.
The manufacturers say you can cook a whole meal in one. I disagree, but
you can certainly cook a chicken in an hour (they say 45 mins, bit
ambitious, tried it) which would take my conventional cooker an hour and a
half.

For yourself (who I suspect isn't much into cooking from scratch, correct me
if I'm wrong) it will be great when you get used to it, and that's the key,
you have to get used to it by experimenting with your favourite foods and
will probably have a few failures at first.

Oh, and they don't take much warming up. I never warm mine up, I just bung
the food in straight away and it's up to temp in a couple of minutes.

Good luck

Tweed

Old January 11th 14, 05:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Friday, January 10, 2014 10:05:31 AM UTC-8, Christina Websell wrote:
---------- What brand is it for a start?

An Andrew James- it just arrived but I am not setting it up just yet as I need to work out where I can put it in the kitchen (I suspect it'll go where the toaster and sandwich maker are- the toaster can be put over by the kettle and I don't use the sandwich maker as much as I used to so I can store it and bring it out when needed- another possibility is buying a small table- we used to have a long counter just inside the kitchen door bur when the landlord "improved" the kitchen we lost half a worktop there so I could put a table there) and anyway Sarsi has immediately gone "new box!" and is asleep on top of it!

I do like cooking when I have the time but when I get home from work is not the time for spending hours in the kitchen and anyway I have an okay canteen at work so I eat there some days-it's more if I can get Dave to use it even if only to heat up oven chips and a pie or something it means he'll eat better and cheaper since heating a large oven up for one person is insanely expensive (20 minutes at least to heat up-the long term plan is if this works we could throw our cooker out-get a worktop ring for things like warming up soup and put shelving in the gap) and of course the idea of a roast dinner is attractive

Old January 13th 14, 08:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
[...]

-----------
I've certainly seen a reduction in my electriity bills since I hardly use
the big oven (as you say, it take 20 minutes to heat up and electricity is
stupidly expensive now) but I don't advise you to get rid of your big cooker
completely, it's useful if you want to cook several things at once and
although you might not need to do that very often, if you get rid of it, you
can't ;-)
I heat soup up in the microwave.

I only have an electric oven, I have a gas hob. Worse thing I ever did was
to have an electric oven fitted when I had a new kitchen, previously I had a
free-standing gas cooker, but I wanted it to look posh, all fitted in so I
got rid of it.
Nüle was here at the time, she called my gas cooker "Stove" She said "don't
get rid of Stove, you'll regret it" but I took no notice and I do regret it
in a way, or at least not having an integral gas cooker fitted.
I'm considering having my electric oven out and a gas one in, should have
done that when my kitchen was fitted but there was a two week wait so I
agreed to have an electric one. I was fed up with having a stripped out
kitchen, wish I'd waited now.

Expect a few disasters at first and don't believe that you can cook a whole
roast dinner in it at the same time like they say - you can't. Do your
chicken in it and the veggies on the top of your cooker.

Having said that, I find it really useful and I'm glad I bought one, so
much so that I bought another when the bowl broke.
I hope you will say the same.

Let me know how it goes.

Tweed

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old January 13th 14, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Monday, January 13, 2014 11:37:06 AM UTC-8, Christina Websell wrote:
I don't advise you to get rid of your big cooker completely,

Apart from a ring or two to
Old January 13th 14, 11:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Monday, January 13, 2014 11:37:06 AM UTC-8, Christina Websell wrote:
) but I don't advise you to get rid of your big cooker completely,

The only thng we use the big cooker for is the rings- the grill packed up ages ago but we have a George Foreman grill (highly recommended if you don't have one) and if I can warm soup/beans etc in the microwave then we get minimum use out of the big oven - the only thing I missed apart from the occasional roast dinner was being able (usually when roasting dinner) was putting a few jacket spuds in there then once they cooled down then I could pop them in the freezer and reheat them in the microwave later but apparently I can do jacket spuds in 40 minutes in the halogen

One question if you are doing a roast with veggies- which way do they go round? I've seen pictures where the meat is on the top rack and vice versa?

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballa
Old January 14th 14, 12:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
On Monday, January 13, 2014 11:37:06 AM UTC-8, Christina Websell wrote:
) but I don't advise you to get rid of your big cooker completely,

The only thng we use the big cooker for is the rings- the grill packed up
ages ago but we have a George Foreman grill (highly recommended if you don't
have one) and if I can warm soup/beans etc in the microwave then we get
minimum use out of the big oven - the only thing I missed apart from the
occasional roast dinner was being able (usually when roasting dinner) was
putting a few jacket spuds in there then once they cooled down then I could
pop them in the freezer and reheat them in the microwave later but
apparently I can do jacket spuds in 40 minutes in the halogen

One question if you are doing a roast with veggies- which way do they go
round? I've seen pictures where the meat is on the top rack and vice versa?

-------
You can't. Never mind the pictures. Unless you want to be in and out of it,
messing about with "how long will this take."
Roast your chicken or meat in it and do the rest in the conventional way.
Or try the whole meal in the halogen oven and let me know if it's successful
for you. It's not been for me.
It will cook a whole chicken or joint far faster than a conventional oven
(and heat your pie up ditto) but IME you cannot cook a whole meal in it,
despite what they claim because the idea is that it cooks with air around it
and that's not possible if you stuff it like in the photo.

Tweed

Slave of the Fabulous Furballa

Old February 23rd 14, 11:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

.. Or try the whole meal in the halogen oven and let me know if it's successful for you.

First of all Tweed I owe you massive thanks for steering me in the right direction in 6 weeks we haven't used a takeaway once- so oven has paid for itself It did take a bit of getting used to but thus far no major disasters

And you can do a whole meal in one although I haven't attempted a roast chicken yet but have done a gammon joint, a shoulder of lamb and tonight I did chicken breast BBQ melts with roasted onion, leek and potatoes

Yes I'm really enjoying cooking with it but I even like simple things like coming in from work and chucking oven chips and a cod in batter in (if you haven't got one get a air wave fryer ring) then sitting down with a coffee and unwinding whilst the food just cooks

Tweed No Name Cat anecdotes 0 July 14th 13 01:47 PM
For Tweed Karen Cat anecdotes 10 January 6th 09 08:27 PM
For Tweed and Rob Marina Cat anecdotes 3 February 15th 07 12:48 PM
Tweed! Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 1 December 18th 05 06:20 AM
Tweed has had her op Debbie Wilson Cat anecdotes 12 May 18th 05 04:29 AM