Urban fox study (OT)

Old May 4th 12, 12:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Urban fox study (OT)

See if you can get this in the USA or further.
There are two streaming dencams with cubs.
It will explain why it's almost impossible to keep free range chickens
here -
http://foxes.channel4.com/

Tweed

Old May 4th 12, 01:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

See if you can get this in the USA or further.
There are two streaming dencams with cubs.
It will explain why it's almost impossible to keep free range chickens
here -
http://foxes.channel4.com/

Tweed
+++++
It comes in very well in Utah. MLB

Old May 4th 12, 02:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Thu, 03 May 2012 18:04:12 -0600, MLB wrote:

See if you can get this in the USA or further.
There are two streaming dencams with cubs.
It will explain why it's almost impossible to keep free range chickens
here -
http://foxes.channel4.com/

Tweed
+++++
It comes in very well in Utah. MLB

Fine in NYC. We don't have foxes here. Raccoons and possums, but not
foxes. There are some chickens.
Old May 4th 12, 05:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Alison[_4_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
See if you can get this in the USA or further.
There are two streaming dencams with cubs.
It will explain why it's almost impossible to keep free range chickens
here -
http://foxes.channel4.com/

Tweed

I've been watching it. They're so cute. We've had urban or rather suburban
foxes coming into our gardens for years. ( outskirts of West London) I've
always had small furries and they run loose but only between certain times
in the day times. They are kept inside at other times.
Alison

Old May 4th 12, 07:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Alison" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
See if you can get this in the USA or further.
There are two streaming dencams with cubs.
It will explain why it's almost impossible to keep free range chickens
here -
http://foxes.channel4.com/

Tweed

I've been watching it. They're so cute. We've had urban or rather suburban
foxes coming into our gardens for years. ( outskirts of West London) I've
always had small furries and they run loose but only between certain times
in the day times. They are kept inside at other times.
Alison

Fox cubs are very cute. Unfortunately they grow up. I have a biased view as
I keep poultry, and as I said to Mary, I only found out about foxes daytime
predations the hard way.
I was very interested in the GPS tracking - I wanted to see their daytime
movements and if there was a pattern of activity/asleep.
I'd hoped it would be more of a scientific study rather than naming all the
foxes and cubs which appeals to those people who feed them in their gardens
and have ultimately been responsible for turning a nocturnal animal, easily
tolerated, into a nuisance.
Tweed

Old May 4th 12, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"MLB" wrote in message
See if you can get this in the USA or further.
There are two streaming dencams with cubs.
It will explain why it's almost impossible to keep free range chickens
here -
http://foxes.channel4.com/

Tweed
+++++
It comes in very well in Utah. MLB

I was not sure you'd be able to see it as in the small print it says
"dencams only available to UK residents" but I thought even the videos were
worth watching.
Most people who have cats like other animals and have an interest in nature.
Nüle cannot see the streaming dencams in Germany, so I am really surprised
you can, but hey! that's great.

I love webcams that teach us the secrets of wild animal's lives.
Tweed

Old May 4th 12, 11:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

MaryL wrote:

Feeding wild animals is also a problem here. Most of us love animals, and
it is often a temptation to feed them, especially if they are "cute."
Unfortunately, that means that they often become pests and neighbors may not
appreciate having them attracted close to their homes. Even the cutest
animals may create damage--foxes may destroy chickens (as Tweed as
described), animals that get into houses may chew and damage the interior,
etc. Even more unfortunate (in fact, tragic) for the animals--foxes,
raccoons, etc.--is that this means they will often be destroyed because now
they are seen as "pests."

Over the past couple of weeks, I've gone to two different parks and
I noticed that the squirrels in each place were both fat and fearless.
They would come right up to you. I saw one squirrel spot a group of
people sitting together and I could just see the thought bubble over
the squirrel's head: "Oh, boy - humans! Handouts!"

Of course, there are signs all over the place in both parks saying not
to feed any of the wildlife. But people don't care, they just go on
feeding them.

Squirrels, like most little animals, are cute. But I don't like them
to come near me because the species does carry rabies. I know it's
rare, but that's not a risk I want to take. Besides, they might carry
other things, like parasites that I wouldn't want to pick up.

As far as I know, the parks department doesn't kill the squirrels even
though they have become pests. These squirrels don't even run away from
people's dogs!

--
Joyce

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he
grows up, he'll never be able to merge his car onto a freeway.
Old May 7th 12, 06:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Fri, 4 May 2012 19:52:51 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"MLB" wrote in message
See if you can get this in the USA or further.
There are two streaming dencams with cubs.
It will explain why it's almost impossible to keep free range chickens
here -
http://foxes.channel4.com/

Tweed
+++++
It comes in very well in Utah. MLB

I was not sure you'd be able to see it as in the small print it says
"dencams only available to UK residents" but I thought even the videos were
worth watching.
Most people who have cats like other animals and have an interest in nature.
Nüle cannot see the streaming dencams in Germany, so I am really surprised
you can, but hey! that's great.

I love webcams that teach us the secrets of wild animal's lives.
Tweed

I live right near Flushing Meadows-Corona Park (site of the tennis US
Open) and there are a pair of hawks living in the Unisphere. I was
biking by this Sunday (on the way home from the Five Boro Bike Tour)
and the park rangers had set up a - telescope? - so that people could
look at the baby hawk in the nest. The nest is built on the equator,
near India, although I doubt the hawks are aware of that.

Last year I was biking past when one of the hawks flew right into a
flock of pigeons, took one in midair, and went on top of one of the
light poles pointed at the Unisphere. I wasn't exactly sure what I had
seen until feathers started raining down from the light pole, then I
knew for sure what had happened.
Old May 7th 12, 09:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

dgk wrote:

I live right near Flushing Meadows-Corona Park (site of the tennis US
Open) and there are a pair of hawks living in the Unisphere. I was
biking by this Sunday (on the way home from the Five Boro Bike Tour)
and the park rangers had set up a - telescope? - so that people could
look at the baby hawk in the nest. The nest is built on the equator,
near India, although I doubt the hawks are aware of that.

The Unisphere! That does take me back. DGK is referring to the symbol of
the 1964-65 New York World's Fair, an enormous wire frame-style model of the
earth, made of steel. I've never lived in New York, so I haven't had much
reason to think of it since '65, when I was there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unisphere

I'm sure that no matter where the hawks decided to build a home, the
climate would be the same.

--
Joyce

"Riveting reading that keeps readers reading."
-- The Midwest Book Review