can anyone translate this Rabobank article?

Old July 24th 05, 05:04 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

Default can anyone translate this Rabobank article?

Actually just the quotes from Rasmussen would be good ...

http://www.rabobank.nl/info/execute/node?node_id=322175

What an awful day for him today. How demoralizing.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old July 24th 05, 10:07 AM
Christine K.

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
Actually just the quotes from Rasmussen would be good ...

http://www.rabobank.nl/info/execute/node?node_id=322175

What an awful day for him today. How demoralizing.

At least I got a red square notice that my browser (Mozilla Firefox)
wasn't compatible with the site, and that the site was best viewed with
Internet Explorer 5.0 or a newer version of that browser. This is a
guesstimated translation using combined knowledge of English, German and
Swedish.

--
Christine in Vantaa, Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old July 24th 05, 10:09 AM
wafflycat

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
Actually just the quotes from Rasmussen would be good ...

http://www.rabobank.nl/info/execute/node?node_id=322175

What an awful day for him today. How demoralizing.

Babel Fish is our friend, sort of :-)

"Drama race sparrows expires still good
Everything hung just as on sides draadje for Michael Rasmussen and the Rabo
wielerploeg. Not only a place in top-tien of the klassement, but also the
bolletjestrui. A heavy schuiver and a spectacular buiteling in a descent
seemed throw the csdane definitively from the tour, but up to that point
came it fortunately not."

As Rasmussen is known as "the chicken" due to his build, perhaps that is the
reference to the 'sparrow'??

"plough LEADER Erik Breukink broke out the cold sweat in the
ploegleiderswagen then race sparrows already after four kilometres against
the asphalt slid. Michael panicked afterwards entirely. Just in the last
five kilometres herpakte he itself slightly, Breukink had observed."

"The panic attack of race sparrows led fifteen kilometres after its fall to
three bicycle sure awls. The mount king wants of rear wheel change, although
there were apparent no problems. He got a new bicycle, but wanted that
twenty meters further exchange for another. Five kilometres further followed
fietswissel. race sparrows recovered its first.

But that missed last he just as later in a descent a turning. race sparrows
touched in the verge in a drain and beat concerning the head. Breukink beat
then fright for the heart. I thought. ' there our bolletjestrui ' goes.
Because that third I from the head had of course for a long time put. That
was for the time trial already clear.

Breukink have a firm klus in oppeppen of race sparrows, which bulged
anaesthetised entirely concerning the finish. He does not have look at to
what wrong has gone, but to what he has reached. A stage triumph, the
bolletjestrui and a place in top-tien. We are extraordinarily satisfied.
What has happened today, must we all but rapidly forget. This was a manner
lesson."

"race sparrows were of course driven beyond both Ivan Basso, which three
minutes after him had left, and Lance Armstrong, which six had make up for
minutes. Then he almost panicked also Basso in a descent a turning missed
after a terrible start. The italiaan had enough time best after nineteen
kilometres, but chose afterwards for certainty and could the high tempo
continue.

That did, however, Armstrong, which always still without individual stage
triumph zat this tour. Already the fork with Jan Ullrich was, 23 seconden,
on the tight side. Ullrich drove to a terrible Second part of the time trial
and insured with that a place on the podium. Already the duitser, however,
something else will have presented himself then the third place.

We will complete this stage report shortly with more responses."

I love these translation packages that do it literally ;-)

Cheers, helen s

Old July 24th 05, 10:18 AM
wafflycat

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
Actually just the quotes from Rasmussen would be good ...

http://www.rabobank.nl/info/execute/node?node_id=322175

What an awful day for him today. How demoralizing.

It was a nail-biting stage. Who says time trials don't make good viewing!
;-)

Rasmussen will be a wiser rider for next year. My gut feeling is that he was
probably so wound up on adrenaline that once the first change of bike was
necessitated, he lost it and what may well have been perfectly adjusted
bikes weren't - to his mindset at the time. Shame really. He had to finish
to keep the KOTM jersey too - probably when he felt like quitting. The
episode was a valuable lesson to Nathan in how not to give up!

Armstrong did a brilliant ride - I had a feeling he would, he just doesn't
seem to be of the mindset where he's be completely happy with the yellow
without having had an individual stage win. No chance of losing today as it
simply isn't contested on the last day - if you are in yellow at the start
of the final day - you keep it - the peloton do not attack. On the other
hand, if he fell off and couldn't continue, I'm not sure what the peloton
would do in such circumstances. That's one thing about cycle racing that you
just don't get in other sports, such as not attacking the leader when he's
down (as witnessed in the past on several occasions throughout the years).

I know that sometimes in the American press it says that Armstrong isn't
liked in France - it's utter tosh. He'll be cheered every inch of today's
stage and the Champs Elysee will have a million people on it (I was one of
them in 2003) and they'll be there witnessing a historic seventh TdF win and
cheering the winner.

Cheers, helen s

Old July 24th 05, 12:07 PM
Fritti Fritti is offline
Member

Location: The Netherlands
Send a message via Yahoo to Fritti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monique Y. Mudama
Actually just the quotes from Rasmussen would be good ...

http://www.rabobank.nl/info/execute/node?node_id=322175

What an awful day for him today. How demoralizing.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Uh, haha, there were no quotes from Rasmussen directly. The quotes were from team leader Erik Breukink. Here's the translation:

Drama Rasmussen ends well after all
Everything seemed to be hanging by a thread for Michael Rasmussen and the Rabo Cycle-Team. Not just a place in the top-10, but also the dotted shirt. One heavy fall and one spectacular fall in a descend seemed to throw the Dane out of the classification definitely, but fortunately it did not get that far.
Team leader Erik Breukink broke down in fear of sweat when after 4 kilometers Rasmussen already smacked against the tarmac. "Michael totally panicked after that. Only in the last 5 kilometers he had more or less regained himself," Breukink had found.
Rasmussen's stroke of panick led to 3 bike-switches 15 kilometers after his fall. The king of the mountains wanted to switch rear wheels, although there seemed to be no troubles. He got a new bike, but wanted to switch that for another one after 20 meters. 5 kilometers further followed another bike-switch. Rasmussen got back his first bike.
But on that last one, some time later he missed another curve in a descend. Rasmussen got into the verge and flipped over. Breukink then got struck with fear. "I thought; there goes our dotted shirt. Because of course I had by long forgotten about that third place already. That was clear before the time trial already."
Breukink will have a tough job cheering Rasmussen, who rolled across the finish line totally dazed, back up. "He should not look at what went wrong, but at what he has achieved. An stage-win, the dotted shirt and a place in the top 10. We are extremely satisfied. We should just very quickly forget all that happened today. This was a wise lesson."
First stage-win Armstrong
Rasmussen was of course passed by both Ivan Basso, who had left 3 minutes after him, and Lance Armstrong, who had to make up for 6 minutes. Basso also panicked after a great start when he in a descend almost missed a curve. The Italian had the best time after 29 kilometers, but then chose for security and could not keep up the high tempo.
Which is what Armstrong did, who was still without an individual stage-win in this Tour. Although the margin with Jan Ullrich, 23 seconds, was quite tight. Ullrich rode a wonderful second part of the time trial and secured himself of a place on the podium. Although the German would have imagined himself something else than the third place.
Old July 24th 05, 02:13 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-07-24, Christine K. penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
Actually just the quotes from Rasmussen would be good ...

http://www.rabobank.nl/info/execute/node?node_id=322175

What an awful day for him today. How demoralizing.

At least I got a red square notice that my browser (Mozilla Firefox)
wasn't compatible with the site, and that the site was best viewed
with Internet Explorer 5.0 or a newer version of that browser. This
is a guesstimated translation using combined knowledge of English,
German and Swedish.

Oh, right, I forgot; I got that too, but I guessed at which one meant
"I don't give a damn; show me the page anyway" and it worked fine.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old July 24th 05, 02:33 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-07-24, wafflycat penned:

It was a nail-biting stage. Who says time trials don't make good
viewing! ;-)

I actually think the time trials, team and individual, are pretty
interesting. It's the one time when you see what they (team or
person) can do on their own, without interference or help. Like when
Hincapie won by drafting the whole way and then stepping out at the
last -- can't do that in a time trial.

My heart sank for Rasmussen, but rose for Ullrich. I like them both.
I'm glad Ullrich will have a podium, but I wish it had been "fair and
square," so to speak, without all the mechanical troubles and falls on
Rasmussen's part. Even though I know it's all part of the Tour. And
it seems like King of the Mountain on your second Tour is pretty
amazing in itself.

DH says that Lance has claimed Jan has the most natural talent on the
Tour, but that he just doesn't work hard beforehand. DH says you can
tell by how much better Jan is in the last week of the Tour. I dunno.
Maybe.

Rasmussen will be a wiser rider for next year. My gut feeling is
that he was probably so wound up on adrenaline that once the first
change of bike was necessitated, he lost it and what may well have
been perfectly adjusted bikes weren't - to his mindset at the time.
Shame really. He had to finish to keep the KOTM jersey too -
probably when he felt like quitting. The episode was a valuable
lesson to Nathan in how not to give up!

I don't know ... his mechanics were clearly not well organized, not
doing things efficiently; I do question if his bike was fitted well
for him, although of course nerves make a huge difference. But
typically ex-mountain bikers are praised for their maneuvering, so it
seems hard to believe all that falling was purely nerve.

It hadn't occured to me that Rasmussen wanted to give up, but I'm sure
you're right.

One thing to consider -- I am sure that at this point, Armstrong's
sponsors would never say, "Yes, doing this would help him, but we
won't spend that extra money." I'm sure that's not the case for less
glorified riders.

Armstrong did a brilliant ride - I had a feeling he would, he just
doesn't seem to be of the mindset where he's be completely happy
with the yellow without having had an individual stage win.

True. Armstrong -- hrm, how to say this? He's almost boring to me.
Not because he isn't a great rider, but because he is. It feels like
his win is inevitable, so it's just not that exciting to me to watch
him. I'm looking forward to when he's off the field and others have a
better chance to shine. Lance is just too much of a juggernaut.

That being said, I had a dream last night that I lived with my parents
and that Lance and his family stayed with us after the Tour was over.
I kept asking Lance the same question -- are you going to ride today?
-- and he finally got annoyed and went somewhere else. Or something.
Hah.

No chance of losing today as it simply isn't contested on the last day
- if you are in yellow at the start of the final day - you keep it -
the peloton do not attack. On the other hand, if he fell off and
couldn't continue, I'm not sure what the peloton would do in such
circumstances. That's one thing about cycle racing that you just don't
get in other sports, such as not attacking the leader when he's down
(as witnessed in the past on several occasions throughout the years).

It's definitely interesting, and slightly confusing, to me. But I
love that sportsmanship is a large part of the race. It make sense in
that few sports have the kind of dynamic cycling does, where you form
and break alliances constantly. If everyone disapproves of you and
won't work with you, you're screwed.

Speaking of sportsmanship, though, I really didn't like how Lance -- was
it last year or the year before? -- hounded that one guy and prevented
him from gaining time, even though he wasn't a threat to Lance's
standings. And managed to bully the rest of the Tour into helping him.
For stuff said outside the Tour. I just thought that was poor form.

I know that sometimes in the American press it says that Armstrong
isn't liked in France - it's utter tosh. He'll be cheered every inch
of today's stage and the Champs Elysee will have a million people on
it (I was one of them in 2003) and they'll be there witnessing a
historic seventh TdF win and cheering the winner.

I'm sure some like him and some don't.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old July 24th 05, 05:02 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-07-24, Fritti penned:

Monique Y. Mudama Wrote:
Actually just the quotes from Rasmussen would be good ...

http://www.rabobank.nl/info/execute/node?node_id=322175

What an awful day for him today. How demoralizing.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Uh, haha, there were no quotes from Rasmussen directly. The quotes were
from team leader Erik Breukink. Here's the translation:

Oh! Oops. Thank you for translating -- interesting to hear this
take. I didn't realize that from the team's perspective, nothing was
wrong with that rear wheel.

Old July 24th 05, 05:23 PM
wafflycat

On 2005-07-24, wafflycat penned:

It was a nail-biting stage. Who says time trials don't make good
viewing! ;-)

I actually think the time trials, team and individual, are pretty
interesting. It's the one time when you see what they (team or
person) can do on their own, without interference or help. Like when
Hincapie won by drafting the whole way and then stepping out at the
last -- can't do that in a time trial.

The time trial is also known as the 'race of truth' as it is just you
against the clock. No drafting allowed, you cycle the entire distance
unaided, unsupported. For our non-cycling audience ( ;-) ) 'drafting' is
when a rider follows the back wheel of the rider in front - this can save up
to 20% energy for the rider doing the drafting - which is why you see the
sprinters hang on to the back wheel of the rider in front and then explode
past them in the last seconds.

My heart sank for Rasmussen, but rose for Ullrich. I like them both.
I'm glad Ullrich will have a podium, but I wish it had been "fair and
square," so to speak, without all the mechanical troubles and falls on
Rasmussen's part. Even though I know it's all part of the Tour. And
it seems like King of the Mountain on your second Tour is pretty
amazing in itself.

Rasmussen fell victim to the Curse of St.Etienne! Apart from the fact that
just to get on a team taking part in the Tour shows that you are an
incredible cyclist anyhow, each of the individual jerseys shows a special
ability. The yellow for general classification, the green sprint points
jersey, the polka-dot 'knig of the mountains' for best climbing those
mountain stages, to the white best young rider. Each shows very special
skills over and above the fantastic ability needed just to be on a team.

DH says that Lance has claimed Jan has the most natural talent on the
Tour, but that he just doesn't work hard beforehand. DH says you can
tell by how much better Jan is in the last week of the Tour. I dunno.
Maybe.

Jan has a vast natural talent. Following his early success the fame went to
his head and he seemed not to cope with it all, and he never seems to put in
quite enough work beforehand. Plus, you have to remember the European teams
are effectively playing a different game to the Discovery team. The single
aim of Discovery (&LA) is to win the Tour de France. The European teams have
a long racing season, with many races having almost as much kudos as the
Tour de France. There's the Giro d'Italia, the Vuelta in Spain plus the one
day classics, such as the Paris Roubaix (the Hell of the North), and many
more due to the long cycle racing history in Europe. The European teams are
in it for a lot more races than winning the Tour de France.

Rasmussen will be a wiser rider for next year. My gut feeling is
that he was probably so wound up on adrenaline that once the first
change of bike was necessitated, he lost it and what may well have
been perfectly adjusted bikes weren't - to his mindset at the time.
Shame really. He had to finish to keep the KOTM jersey too -
probably when he felt like quitting. The episode was a valuable
lesson to Nathan in how not to give up!

I don't know ... his mechanics were clearly not well organized, not
doing things efficiently; I do question if his bike was fitted well
for him, although of course nerves make a huge difference. But
typically ex-mountain bikers are praised for their maneuvering, so it
seems hard to believe all that falling was purely nerve.

Reading elsewhere, the team manager said that Rasmussen was overhyped even
before the stage started yesterday and just lost the plot mentally. Said
there was nothing wrong with the bikes and it was Rasmussen not coping under
pressure. Entirely possible due to the pressure of wanting to retain that
podium place on GC as well as the polka dot win. I'd be interested to find
out what Rasmussen says about that ;-)

It hadn't occured to me that Rasmussen wanted to give up, but I'm sure
you're right.

One thing to consider -- I am sure that at this point, Armstrong's
sponsors would never say, "Yes, doing this would help him, but we
won't spend that extra money." I'm sure that's not the case for less
glorified riders.

Armstrong did a brilliant ride - I had a feeling he would, he just
doesn't seem to be of the mindset where he's be completely happy
with the yellow without having had an individual stage win.

True. Armstrong -- hrm, how to say this? He's almost boring to me.
Not because he isn't a great rider, but because he is. It feels like
his win is inevitable, so it's just not that exciting to me to watch
him. I'm looking forward to when he's off the field and others have a
better chance to shine. Lance is just too much of a juggernaut.

I know what you mean. I love watching the Tour and I hugely admire LAs
commitment and ability, but when he is so far ahead of his rivals in this
one race, then it makes for less interetsing viewing than when the overall
win is more closely contested. Next year cmight be fascinating!

[...]

It didn't go down well with a lot of cyclists - LA didn't need to do that.
It's like the mafia - break ranks and you are ostracised!

Cheers, helen s

Old July 26th 05, 05:44 PM
Duke of URL

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Actually just the quotes from Rasmussen would be good ...
http://www.rabobank.nl/info/execute/node?node_id=322175

From Babel Fish:

Nourish of bolletjestrui

• 24/7: 21st stage Status quo on spekglad parcours

Since the tour the France more with an individual time trial have not been
concluded, have been the lock stage not more than ererondes drive by the
centre of Paris. That was Sunday not differently. The renners also by it
being stimulated bad quietly it to put on. The wegdek was spekglad. The
coureurs decided on command of Lance Armstrong for a long time a status quo.

The csdane had and intact Paris would obtain to insure large price to the
Rabo wielerploeg after the stage triumphs of Pieter Weening and Rasmussen
themselves of the third, the bolletjestrui. Nevertheless not to
underestimate a hoofdprijs in the tour, which has been never won by a '
small ' renner. For that the parcours of the French round much is too heavy.

' Vino '

The lock stage was not won in contrast to the tradition the last years by a
sprinter. Alexandre Vinokourov surprised the complete group with an outburst
in the final. He remained everyone and won with tiny difference the lock
ride. With that conquered he also twenty seconden bonificatie. Sufficiently
to repress place Levi Leipheimer of the fiftieth in the general klassement.
race sparrows remained seventh.

We will complete this report shortly with more news and responses from the
tour.