Imposing a bit

Old July 5th 08, 06:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Default Imposing a bit

Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:

If I can impose, could I have some calming purrs for the household?
Smeagol ate a bit of Fancy Feast crunchies. Jeb however, won't eat
anything (and he's the 'garbage gut') yet. I'd like the masters (both
mistresses seem fine) to settle a bit, so I can take a close look at
everyone, and make sure that they are alright.

Lots of calming purrs on the way to all the upset kitties. Thank
goodness nothing worse happened to Smeagol.

Old July 6th 08, 01:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Smokie Darling (Annie)" wrote in message
I know that everyone is nearly purred out, but could you spare a few
for a couple of my boys?
snipped but read

How scary. Lots of purrs from here, two sizes fit all requirements ;-)

Tweed

Old July 6th 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

The pack is full of purrs and a prayers are always available

"Smokie Darling (Annie)" wrote in message
I know that everyone is nearly purred out, but could you spare a few
for a couple of my boys? I've been begging the husband for years to
get rid of the mini blinds in the small second bedroom. He just blew
me off.

Well, this morning (at 6:15 am no less), he found out why I didn't
want the mini blinds. Our cats (Smeagol and Jebediah mostly), enjoy
getting into the window (the storm window is off, so they sit right at
the louver windows) and watching the outside. This morning, Smeagol
was getting his morning sun. I suspect that husband yelled at him,
though he says not. At any rate, something startled Smeagol (my 20+
pounder), and when he went to jump down, he got his left hind foot
caught in the strings, and twisted up.

Apparently, the other cats thought it was "Piñata Smeagol", all of
them except Marley (his littermate) and Smokie (who's just a sweetie
girlcat), came in and started smacking and biting him. Smeagol never
fights, he is just a sweet lover boycat. At any rate, he was
hollering and crying, and biting and scratching anyone who got close
enough (DH's foot is messed up, and he bit a huge double crescent in
my right thumb). I grabbed scissors and cut the string about 3 inches
away from where he was hung up. He got free. Probably not trapped
more than 30 seconds, but lord it seemed an hour.

Anyway, Jeb is now terrified (Smeagol bit his leg) and won't let me
clean his foot, Smeagol is being shy (not at all his normal self), and
I can't find Marley (he's my fraidy cat) though I know he's in the
house somewhere, he is more afraid of the big out than anything else.

If I can impose, could I have some calming purrs for the household?
Smeagol ate a bit of Fancy Feast crunchies. Jeb however, won't eat
anything (and he's the 'garbage gut') yet. I'd like the masters (both
mistresses seem fine) to settle a bit, so I can take a close look at
everyone, and make sure that they are alright.

Smokie Darling (Annie)

PS DH wants to buy more mini-blinds, I said no. He said that they'll
stop getting up there, and I said, "What happens if this occurs when
we are out? How will your mother cope with that? She can't pick
Smeagol up, he'd have torn her to ribbons, not to mention, he'd have
stayed hung up for hours before she ever realized something was wrong,
she doesn't come over until dinner time, and probably lost that
foot."

No more mini-blinds, EVER. My final decision on *that*,
thankyouverymuch!

Old July 6th 08, 03:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

Default UPDATE: (was: Imposing a bit)

On Jul 4, 9:06*am, "Smokie Darling (Annie)"
wrote:

Well, this morning (at 6:15 am no less), he found out why I didn't
want the mini blinds. *Our cats (Smeagol and Jebediah mostly), enjoy
getting into the window (the storm window is off, so they sit right at
the louver windows) and watching the outside. *This morning, Smeagol
was getting his morning sun. *I suspect that husband yelled at him,
though he says not. *At any rate, something startled Smeagol (my 20+
pounder), and when he went to jump down, he got his left hind foot
caught in the strings, and twisted up.

snipped

No more mini-blinds, EVER. *My final decision on *that*,
thankyouverymuch!

Hello everyone, just thought I'd send in an update.

Smeagol (the baby caught in the blinds), is doing exceptionally well.
His left rear paw is still a bit swollen, and he doesn't want anyone
to 'touch' it, but he walks without favo(u)ring it in any way. Eating
well, no stomach upset (and he has a very delicate stomach), no
strange behavio(u)r.

Jebediah (the bit baby) is favo(u)ring his right rear paw. He has a
'scab', but between our cleaning it with saline (after the initial
cleaning with peroxide), and his cleaning it when we are finished he
is getting along better. He is eating, also showing no stomach upset.

Pandora (one of the meanie kitties) has a small spot next to her nose
where she got "clipped" by a claw. It is staying clean and she has no
problems with food.

Marley (littermate who wasn't even *in* the room) finally came out of
hiding after about 36 to 48 hours. I had been taking food back and
placing it near where he had hidden. Now he seems totally normal.

Everyone is going back into that bedroom now (it's where they have a
litter box, a big water dish, and toys) without "hunkering down". I
think that the Power of the Purr has been shown again.

Thank you, everyone, for the suggestions as well as purrs and
prayers. DH is considering vertical blinds or curtains (I'm kind of
liking the towel myself, but realize that it isn't a long term
solution, lol), so there was something positive out of the whole nasty
business.

DH's foot injuries and my thumb are both doing very well. Gotta love
the docs who will call in a 'script for a strong, "real" antibiotic
ointment, on a holiday so that *I* don't have to deal with anything
worse (yep, he did, he's a keeper).

Smokie Darling (Annie) - again... thankyouthankyouthankyou.
Old July 6th 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Jul 4, 8:06*am, "Smokie Darling (Annie)"
wrote:
At any rate, something startled Smeagol (my 20+
pounder), and when he went to jump down, he got his left hind foot
caught in the strings, and twisted up.

It could have been his neck and there could have been no-one there to
rescue him- so no mini blinds sounds a good idea! I certainly won't be
considering them anytime for household decor so thanks for the
warning!

Purrs for all

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old July 6th 08, 06:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
alisont via CatKB.com

I have the vertical blinds and the nice thng about them is the chain that
opens and closes is able to be opened up so thy hang as two chains instead of
a loop and the string that opens and closes them is attached on both top and
bottom and is taut so no one can get caught. Not to mention that they give
way very easily to little cat heads that want to look out the window.

--
http://www.serenityscenes.com/

Old July 6th 08, 11:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

alisont via CatKB.com u11078@uwe wrote:

I have the vertical blinds and the nice thng about them is the chain that
opens and closes is able to be opened up so thy hang as two chains instead of
a loop and the string that opens and closes them is attached on both top and
bottom and is taut so no one can get caught. Not to mention that they give
way very easily to little cat heads that want to look out the window.

Ha - you don't know my cat, Smudge. She is very adept at sticking her
head between the mini-blinds to look out the window.

http://home.sonic.net/~jwermont/cats.../busybody.html

Usually I see this from the living room (as in the above photo), so I
see everything except her head. But once or twice I've seen it from the
street. Boy is that weird-looking. Nothing but a disembodied cat head,
blooming from the blinds, in the window.

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^
Old July 7th 08, 12:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Jul 6, 4:48*pm, wrote:
alisont via CatKB.com u11078@uwe wrote:

* I have the vertical blinds and the nice thng about them is the chain that
* opens and closes is able to be opened up so thy hang as two chains instead of
* a loop and the string that opens and closes them is attached on both top and
* bottom and is taut so no one can get caught. *Not to mention that they give
* way very easily to little cat heads that want to look out the window..

Ha - you don't know my cat, Smudge. She is very adept at sticking her
head between the mini-blinds to look out the window.

http://home.sonic.net/~jwermont/cats.../busybody.html

Usually I see this from the living room (as in the above photo), so I
see everything except her head. But once or twice I've seen it from the
street. Boy is that weird-looking. Nothing but a disembodied cat head,
blooming from the blinds, in the window.

OMG!! That is the most precious photo.

I wonder if Smeagol didn't go in that way, then not bring the foot all
the way through. I'm still trying to figure out how he managed to get
hung up in the strings that hold the blinds together (them little
skinny ones? They are very, very strong, whodathunkit?)

Old July 7th 08, 05:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

[...]

Good on you - stay firm! Poor, poor baby, that must have been a terrifying
experience. We do have miniblinds in our house, but if they're pulled up,
the cord is wrapped tightly around the valance, and if they're down, the
cord is too short to reach.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 9th 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:
I know that everyone is nearly purred out, but could you spare a few
for a couple of my boys? I've been begging the husband for years to
get rid of the mini blinds in the small second bedroom. He just blew
me off.

Well, this morning (at 6:15 am no less), he found out why I didn't
want the mini blinds. Our cats (Smeagol and Jebediah mostly), enjoy
getting into the window (the storm window is off, so they sit right at
the louver windows) and watching the outside. This morning, Smeagol
was getting his morning sun. I suspect that husband yelled at him,
though he says not. At any rate, something startled Smeagol (my 20+
pounder), and when he went to jump down, he got his left hind foot
caught in the strings, and twisted up.

snip
No more mini-blinds, EVER. My final decision on *that*,
thankyouverymuch!

How scary!
Lots and lots of calming purrs,
Polonca and Soncek