Got through the holidays...

Old January 4th 15, 06:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Got through the holidays...

Thanks for the cards, everyone!

I lost Persia in August, 2014 but I didn't realize the holidays would
tug on my heart. I'm not big on holiday decorating but I always used to
hang a stocking for her. I'd put catnip and little toy mousies in it.
I saw that stocking in the closet and sighed. No toys for Persia.

I'm still not ready to be owned by another cat. Occasional BCT's and
comic relief moments aside, Persia was as close to "perfect" a cat as I
could ever imagine. Sweet and snuggly, with beautiful grey fur as soft
as a bunny.

When I would lie on the couch reading she'd be right next to me,
purring. My SO commented more than once about how she'd gaze at me
adoringly. Yes, she did! And I'd gaze back, slow blinks, and give her
scritches. I love you too, Persia.

She didn't jump on my dinner table or kitchen countertops. When I
mentioned this in another ng some people insist she *must* have gotten
up on the countertops. They said she just didn't do it when I was at
home. Sorry, but I know she didn't. Persia was never much of a jumper.
High places didn't interest her.

"People food" didn't interest her, either. She did get irritated when I
spent much time in the kitchen. Hey, I could have been giving her
scritches instead! There were no soft places for her to lounge in the
kitchen. She'd walk around meowing at me. Come on, let's go in that
other room. Either the one with the couch or my crackle sack by the
computer.

Lesley's post about the pouch of sardine food and calling for Sarsi made
me think of this: One day a couple of months ago I went into a nearby
store. It was always my routine to hit the pet aisle first to pick up
cat litter and some Fancy Feast. Well, my feet walked right on over
there before I realized "oh".

Another cat will probably wander into my life. Just not yet.

Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year to everyone and their owners.

Jill
Old January 5th 15, 02:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Sun, 04 Jan 2015 12:45:45 -0500, jmcquown
wrote:

[...]

Yes, it's tough. I can't forget Espy and how I'm going to miss him the
rest of my life. I knew years ago that I wanted to retire to a place
where it's warm, and now I'm preparing to move to Florida, but I
always thought that Espy would go with me. I still have Nipsy and
Marlo, and now Scooter, but Espy would have loved Florida.

I'm glad for the other cats though. I know that they miss Espy as well
since he was the head trouble maker. The rest try to cause trouble but
they just aren't up to his standard.

I'm lucky I guess. I had Nico at first and he was a major pain in the
butt, and Espy actually overlapped him by a few months till Nico died.
Those were two amazing cats, smart and affectionate and dynamic little
personalties.

You never know what's coming down the pike though. When you're ready,
shelters really do know the personalties of the cats. I don't care
what they look like, but if I ever go pick another cat from a shelter,
I'm going to ask for the main trouble maker. I don't care if they
break something, as long as they have fun doin git.
Old January 5th 15, 11:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Most of mine find kichen almost as nice as chairs elsewhere, although
curiously, not Spicey - she's a floor lounger. I'll have to try a crackle
sack someday though!
Old January 8th 15, 01:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 1/5/2015 5:32 PM, Takayuki wrote:
Most of mine find kichen almost as nice as chairs elsewhere, although
curiously, not Spicey - she's a floor lounger. I'll have to try a crackle
sack someday though!

Persia was a "ground dweller", too. She did jump up on the living room
chairs from time to time. When the sun was shining on them. They
weren't very high off the ground.

Jill
Old January 8th 15, 07:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Shelters (WAS: Got through the holidays...)

On 1/5/2015 8:10 AM, dgk wrote:
You never know what's coming down the pike though. When you're ready,
shelters really do know the personalties of the cats. I don't care
what they look like, but if I ever go pick another cat from a shelter,
I'm going to ask for the main trouble maker. I don't care if they
break something, as long as they have fun doin git.

I have *no doubt* the people at the shelter know the personalities of
the cats they take care of.

The cat also has some say in the matter. Persia chose *me*. She
just barged in and announced she was home. It was pretty comical.

I haven't been to the fairly new cat-only annex of the county animal
shelter. It's called the Tabby House. Here's a vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQIDx13egHg

It opened a few years ago. I've donated some things they needed (they
were asking for canister-type vaccuum cleaners and I had two old
workhorses in the garage; I hate canister vacs).

The Tabby House. It's a double entendre because "Tabby" refers to cats
but also to a very old form of cement common in the Carolina Lowcountry.
It's made with lime, water and crushed oyster shells.

The Tabby House reminds me of The House of Mews in Memphis, TN. It,
too, was located in an old storefront. The cats ran around loose for
the most part. Lots of toys, beds, etc. It wasn't an extension of the
County shelter like the Tabby House is, though.

Jill

Happy holidays Ann Cat anecdotes 0 December 22nd 08 09:45 PM
Happy Holidays Kathy[_2_] Cat anecdotes 3 December 11th 08 01:04 AM
Ot the way the holidays are going to come to if we allow it NMR Cat anecdotes 0 December 24th 05 10:47 PM
Cat and the holidays Jeannie Cat health & behaviour 2 December 19th 03 08:22 PM
Cat and the holidays afr Cat health & behaviour 8 December 16th 03 05:05 PM