Dental cleaners

Old January 21st 06, 05:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Dental cleaners

There's a dental cleaner that I'm interested in getting and I'm
wondering if it works. This particular one is called Liquid Oral Care
and is made by Petkin. It says it cleans teeth and freshens breath,
fights plaque and gum disease, it also contains baking soda. It's
odorless and tasteless and you add it to the pet's water. I think you
add something like 1 teaspoon to 8 ounces of water. I hear that it's
supposed to work like a mouth wash.

Does anyone know if products like these work and how well they work?
Obviously, a professional dental cleaning is the best followed by home
dental cleanings (with a toothbrush).

Old January 21st 06, 09:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Mike S." wrote:

There's a dental cleaner that I'm interested in getting and I'm
wondering if it works. This particular one is called Liquid Oral
Care and is made by Petkin. It says it cleans teeth and freshens
breath, fights plaque and gum disease,

I don't think so.

it also contains baking soda. It's
odorless and tasteless and you add it to the pet's water. I think
you add something like 1 teaspoon to 8 ounces of water. I hear
that it's supposed to work like a mouth wash.

Which doesn't work very well for fighting plaque and gum disease.

Fortunately, we humans have electric toothbrushes. They do a number
on plaque and gum disease. If you enjoy good dental hygiene, they
are heavenly (with regular flossing).

Cat dental hygiene is different.

Obviously, a professional dental cleaning is the best

Yeah, I think that's about it.

Good luck.

Old January 21st 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Mike S. wrote:

There's a dental cleaner that I'm interested in getting and I'm
wondering if it works. This particular one is called Liquid Oral Care
and is made by Petkin. It says it cleans teeth and freshens breath,
fights plaque and gum disease, it also contains baking soda. It's
odorless and tasteless and you add it to the pet's water. I think you
add something like 1 teaspoon to 8 ounces of water. I hear that it's
supposed to work like a mouth wash.

Does anyone know if products like these work and how well they work?
Obviously, a professional dental cleaning is the best followed by home
dental cleanings (with a toothbrush).

Buddha just recently had a professional teeth cleaning due to a mild
case of gingivitis. FWIW, I use the same stuff (along with Science Diet
Oral Care kibble) and his teeth look pretty good after 6 months; his
breath is good also. Might be a coincidence but if it doesn't hurt, I
say why not try it?

Old January 23rd 06, 02:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Mike S. wrote:
There's a dental cleaner that I'm interested in getting and I'm
wondering if it works. This particular one is called Liquid Oral Care
and is made by Petkin. It says it cleans teeth and freshens breath,
fights plaque and gum disease, it also contains baking soda. It's
odorless and tasteless and you add it to the pet's water. I think you
add something like 1 teaspoon to 8 ounces of water. I hear that it's
supposed to work like a mouth wash.

Does anyone know if products like these work and how well they work?
Obviously, a professional dental cleaning is the best followed by home
dental cleanings (with a toothbrush).

Does your cat like the toothbrush?

Sometimes I just clean the outsides of the teeth with my fingers or
maybe a wash cloth. Read somewhere that the insides do themselves
although don't see how BOTH insides could do that. Use a few kibbles
from SD Oral Care, especially after some wet food.

Old January 23rd 06, 11:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

yours might be to far, but gigervitus, (on my black tabby insulting) I put
mine on hills dental plan, they cleaned up in a few weeks, the 2 now eat it
all the time, no smelly breath anymore... Its just the other end now,,
pheww.

Old January 23rd 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Tiger gets 6 pieces of Friskies Dental Diet each night.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')