Sassy's dental work

Old October 16th 03, 05:21 PM
space-monk-e

Default Sassy's dental work

Hi Everyone!! Sassafras needs to have her teeth cleaned and two of
them pulled out because of cavities and I am really nervous about it.
Are there any questions I should ask the vet that you wouldn't normally
think of? I remember reading here a long time ago about a brand of
anesthetic that was giving cats seizures but I don't recall the name of
it. She has her regular check-up on Saturday. Thanks for any help!!
--
Min

Old October 16th 03, 06:20 PM
Hopitus2

We have several cats who've had dental cleanings and extractions at the
vet's. One cat was so old vet kept him overnight for observation.......if
your cat is pretty old, inquire if vet uses (don't know name) anesthesia
safe for older cats.....some are pretty dangerous re your cats' recovery
from the anesthetic, NOT the dental work. I'm sure someone here knows the
name of the safe anesthesia for old cats.....one of the old cats we had -
when his necessary dental cleaning and extractions were finished - ended up
with only 4 fangs in front, but that didn't stop him from inhaling his food
as always.....just messier is what he got.
We were happy that he didn't have dental pain anymore and just put his food
bowl on a spread-out newspaper as he "gummed" his food for the rest of his
days.

"space-monk-e" wrote in message
: Hi Everyone!! Sassafras needs to have her teeth cleaned and two of
: them pulled out because of cavities and I am really nervous about it.
: Are there any questions I should ask the vet that you wouldn't normally
: think of? I remember reading here a long time ago about a brand of
: anesthetic that was giving cats seizures but I don't recall the name of
: it. She has her regular check-up on Saturday. Thanks for any help!!
: --
: Min
:

Old October 16th 03, 09:36 PM
polonca12000

I have no info about kitty dental work, but I am sending best wishes and
Soncek sends his strongest purrs for everything to go well,
--
Polonca & Soncek

Old October 17th 03, 01:10 AM
Jeanne Hedge

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 12:21:40 -0400 (EDT),
(space-monk-e) wrote:

Hi Everyone!! Sassafras needs to have her teeth cleaned and two of
them pulled out because of cavities and I am really nervous about it.
Are there any questions I should ask the vet that you wouldn't normally
think of? I remember reading here a long time ago about a brand of
anesthetic that was giving cats seizures but I don't recall the name of
it. She has her regular check-up on Saturday. Thanks for any help!!

Natasha, who is 16, just had her teeth cleaned and a tooth pulled.
It's suspected she may be developing a kidney problem, so they did
blood tests before hand. She was also very slow in coming out of the
anesthesia during her previous dental (a cleaning) a few years back,
and had to stay at the vets a few hours longer than originally
thought.

This time she had no problems at all. Everything went smoothly, she
was awake and ready to come home when I was told she would be. They
gave me an antibiotic and some pain medicine to give her for a few
days. She was back at the food bowl, crunching her dry food, within
about 15 minutes of coming home. I stopped giving her the pain
medicine after a day because she was *too* lethargic - stopping it
hasn't seemed to bother her any.

Were I you, I'd ask questions you may have, but I don't think I'd be
too worried about the procedure

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

http://www.jhedge.com

CompuServe Comics/Anime Forum via Your Browser
- IT'S FREE! -
*** http://go.compuserve.com/comic ***
Old October 17th 03, 01:53 AM
rrb_091903

space-monk-e wrote:

Hi Everyone!! Sassafras needs to have her teeth cleaned and two of
them pulled out because of cavities and I am really nervous about it.
Are there any questions I should ask the vet that you wouldn't normally
think of? I remember reading here a long time ago about a brand of
anesthetic that was giving cats seizures but I don't recall the name of
it. She has her regular check-up on Saturday. Thanks for any help!!
--
Min

The anesthetic you are thinking of is probably Isoflurane. It is a gas,
and as soon as they turn it off they start to wake up immediately. I
would have them do a blood panel to test for anesthetic sensitivity.
They check the functions of the kidneys and such. I would also have her
monitored with a pulse oximeter during the procedure. She will be on
antibiotics, and most likely pain medicine afterwards. I'm sure she will
be fine. I'll set my two cats to purring for her. You have my best
wishes as well.

Rich

Old October 17th 03, 02:36 AM
GKiuchi

Isofluorane gas was the sole anesthetic used on Comet during her dentals. (Over
the years she actually had all her canines removed and it never affected her
eating habits one bit.) It is the same one used during human baby surgeries. It
is relatively safe and the cat does start to awaken almost as soon as the gas
is turned off. (But every cat IS different and a cat can have a sensitivity or
reaction to iso as with anything) There is also another gas that goes by the
shortened name of Sevo, but I have no direct experience with it.

Some vets pre-anesthetize with injected Ketamine via just prior to using the
actual gas anesthesia. If it happens that the cat reacts adversely
(hallucinating, edema, breathing problems) to the Ketamine it is not possible
to simply reverse its properties by "just turning it off" as with a gas. This
can be a problem particlarly if the cat has pre-existing conditions such as
kidney or heart problems. Some vets will even administer a tranquilizer such as
Valium to a cat before the Ketamine to forestall hallucinations and agitation.
(This means using three substances to induce anesthesia!)

In the case of cats with pre-existing conditions some vets will prescribe an
antibiotic for a few days before the dentals.

Hope Sassy passes her check-up with flying colors! You shouldn't have any
worries if she is good health!

Gennie
Old October 17th 03, 03:41 PM
space-monk-e

The anesthetic you are thinking of is probably
Isoflurane. It is a gas, and as soon as they turn
it off they start to wake up immediately. I would
have them do a blood panel to test for
anesthetic sensitivity. They check the functions
of the kidneys and such. I would also have her
monitored with a pulse oximeter during the
procedure. She will be on antibiotics, and most
likely pain medicine afterwards. I'm sure she
will be fine. I'll set my two cats to purring for
her. You have my best wishes as well.

Thanks for the information and the purrs everyone!! Thats exactly what I
was looking for ) We appreciate it! Sassafras will be thrilled to
hear this won't affect her eating!!
Min