aspirin for cat?

Old August 20th 07, 12:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

Default aspirin for cat?

IIRC my vet said not to give 1/2 baby aspirin any more frequently than every
three days because of how slowly cats metabolize it.

Wendy

"cindys" wrote in message

"Zippy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Our 16 mo. old male cat had his 1 year vaccination yesterday. He won't
eat & wants to sleep 24 hours/day.
Vet says give 1/2 a baby aspirin. I thought that aspirin was bad for
cats. Is it or not?

--------
Cats metabolize aspirin very slowly. It's okay in small doses such as the
dose your vet recommended. For my cat's arthritis, my vet has recommended
one whole baby aspirin (81 mg) not more than twice a week. Just please be
sure that the product you are giving your cat is really aspirin and NOT
Tylenol (acetaminophen) or Advil (ibuprofen) or Aleve (naproxen). Any of
these can be deadly for a cat.

Aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) comes in 325 mg and 81 mg. The 81 mg pills
are the ones you want to buy (and then cut in half). These are also known
as "baby aspirin" or more commonly "low-dose aspirin." They can be
purchased "enteric coated" which is easier on the stomach.
Good luck.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.