More Questions About Max (A Bit Long)

Old March 25th 08, 11:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mc

Default More Questions About Max (A Bit Long)

Trying to keep this really brief....

Got Max to the vet today. He has a relatively minor diagnosis of red
and white blood cells in his urine. The vet ruled out this could have
anything to do with the blood that was on the floor this past weekend.

Another round of anti-biotics for Max. The good vet said that this
diagnosis would ***probably*** have been enough for the cat to begin
peeing outside the litter box.

The vet also indicated that Maxes surgical site was healing up very
nicely.

I am concerned now that he has been on anti-biotics for what seems
like forever. He was on anti-biotics prior to his surgery by at least
a week and a half as a result of the issue with crystals. He was on
anti-biotics during the surgery and then again for about two weeks
after the surgery.

Are all of these anti-biotics a good thing? Would another health issue
be at hand here? It seems that with all the anti-biotics he has had,
he shouldnt continue having a problem.

I am wondering now if this is a behavioral issue or if perhaps he peed
in the corner last night because he was hurting? He always produces a
huge amount of urine. No problems there.

He started sniffing around the birds cages last night... scratching
around them. I watched, having a good idea of what was going to happen
but I wanted verification I guess. I should probably have lifted him
right up and brought him to his litterbox at that point, but sure
enough, he squatted and peed...

It wasn't as if he didn't have time to go run down to the litterbox.

The vet said I should allow the anti-biotics to work before starting
to try other methods in order to curb the behavior - they seem to feel
that this is the reason he tried to pee elsewhere..

In truth, he has been really good about using the litterbox because I
can see the large amounts of urine in the litterbox at least twice a
day. So he is going... and I know it is him and not Butterball because
of the sheer volume of liquid he is peeing out.

So, maybe I am over reacting but I am concerned.

Old March 26th 08, 01:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

MC,

Aww, poor guy. I missed some of your earlier posts. Have they done a
culture of his urine to determine a specific bacteria? Can you add
another litterbox or two, just temporarily, to help him out for a
while.

I would consider adding acidopholos (sp) or probiotics to his food to
help with digestive enzymes.

Rene
Old March 26th 08, 03:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mc

On Mar 26, 8:53 am, "Rene S." wrote:
MC,

Aww, poor guy. I missed some of your earlier posts. Have they done a

I could probably try that... can I give him human grade? Or is there a
kitty formula?

I know the local health food stores have the acidopholous (not at all
sure how to spell that one, hehehe).

I am wondering if this is typical for a cat after this type of
surgery? Should I be concerned again for all these anti-biotics?

Thanks for the reassurement...

Old March 26th 08, 03:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

I could probably try that... can I give him human grade? Or is there a
kitty formula?

I know the local health food stores have the acidopholous (not at all
sure how to spell that one, hehehe).

You can just use the human version, though there pet versions
available too:
http://www.flintriver.com/Probiotics-Overview.htm
http://www.petenzymes.com/
Old March 26th 08, 03:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

I am wondering if this is typical for a cat after this type of
surgery? Should I be concerned again for all these anti-biotics?

I don't know if this is typical, but I know it's not unusual. I know a
dog owner whose dog was on a low-dose antibiotic for many months (as
in six to eight months) for a bladder infection. Give him a little
more time and let the meds do their job.

Old March 26th 08, 03:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mc

On Mar 26, 10:42 am, "Rene S." wrote:
I am wondering if this is typical for a cat after this type of
surgery? Should I be concerned again for all these anti-biotics?

I don't know if this is typical, but I know it's not unusual. I know a
dog owner whose dog was on a low-dose antibiotic for many months (as
in six to eight months) for a bladder infection. Give him a little
more time and let the meds do their job.

Well, Thanks Rene, because it seems like from all the "pocket pets" I
have had, all those anti-biotics are a bad sign. The vet said, too
exactly what you are saying... More time.

Time is one thing we seem to have plenty of right now, LOL!

I cannot say enough what a good cat he is.
Old March 26th 08, 06:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Well, Thanks Rene, because it seems like from all the "pocket pets" I
have had, all those anti-biotics are a bad sign. The vet said, too
exactly what you are saying... More time.

Time is one thing we seem to have plenty of right now, LOL!

I cannot say enough what a good cat he is.

Took me a second to get the "pocket pets" reference. . hee hee. Hugs
to Max for a quick recovery!