[OT] Experiences with Xylitol (sugar substitute)?

Old April 3rd 06, 08:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] Experiences with Xylitol (sugar substitute)?

Someone pointed me to Xylitol as a sugar substitute, particularly for
baking. It apparently has dental benefits and fewer calories than
sugar. This person said that she has even made a creme brule that
turned out beautifully. I think she said that, in a recipe calling
for sugar, she uses half that amount of Xylitol instead.

Has anyone else used this, either as a sweetener or in baking? What
are your experiences?

I read that it can have a laxative effect in large doses ... that
doesn't sound wonderful, but I wonder if the average person using it
in normal situations notices the effect.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old April 3rd 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I absolutely can't due sugar substitutes. Never have been able to. Splenda
maaaaybe in tiny amounts. And if what we were emailing about is a problem
for you, I've read and read that sugar substitutes are WAY up on the list of
offenders. I wouldn't do it.

Old April 3rd 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
Someone pointed me to Xylitol as a sugar substitute, particularly for
baking. It apparently has dental benefits and fewer calories than
sugar. This person said that she has even made a creme brule that
turned out beautifully. I think she said that, in a recipe calling
for sugar, she uses half that amount of Xylitol instead.

Has anyone else used this, either as a sweetener or in baking? What
are your experiences?

I read that it can have a laxative effect in large doses ... that
doesn't sound wonderful, but I wonder if the average person using it
in normal situations notices the effect.

Xylitol isn't a sugar substitute, it's sugar derived from birch trees,
if I remember correctly. A little like maple syrup but from birches. And
I do believe it to be of Finnish origin.

Here's some info:
http://www.xylitol.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol

I don't personally use it in baking. I mainly come across it in chewing
gum I usually take after eating something, as Xylitol is tooth friendly
and stops the "acid attac" in your mouth when you've eaten something.

--
Christine in Vantaa, Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old April 3rd 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-03, Karen penned:
I absolutely can't due sugar substitutes. Never have been able to.
Splenda maaaaybe in tiny amounts. And if what we were emailing about
is a problem for you, I've read and read that sugar substitutes are
WAY up on the list of offenders. I wouldn't do it.

Well, the reason I'm looking at it is because it's not artificial --
it's sugar made from other plants, like corn and raspberries. It's
called sugar alcohol, I think. It also supposedly reduces cavities
quite a bit. I could use all the help I can get in that dept.

I also can't stand artificial sweeteners. Splenda grosses me out.
Nutrasweet? Forget it.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old April 3rd 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
Someone pointed me to Xylitol as a sugar substitute, particularly for
baking. It apparently has dental benefits and fewer calories than
sugar. This person said that she has even made a creme brule that
turned out beautifully. I think she said that, in a recipe calling
for sugar, she uses half that amount of Xylitol instead.

Has anyone else used this, either as a sweetener or in baking? What
are your experiences?

I read that it can have a laxative effect in large doses ... that
doesn't sound wonderful, but I wonder if the average person using it
in normal situations notices the effect.

I ate quite a bit of the sugar alcohols when on Atkins. I can't say I
noticed any laxative effect.

Thanks for the Keyboard rec BTW, came today. It seems to be working fine,
although the mouse seems to have a mind of it's own at times. Likely just a
setup issue. I love the Blue Tooth, absolutely no wires, unlike the previous
mouse, which sat about a foot away from it's receiver.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old April 3rd 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
Someone pointed me to Xylitol as a sugar substitute, particularly for
baking. It apparently has dental benefits and fewer calories than
sugar. This person said that she has even made a creme brule that
turned out beautifully. I think she said that, in a recipe calling
for sugar, she uses half that amount of Xylitol instead.
Has anyone else used this, either as a sweetener or in baking? What
are your experiences?
I read that it can have a laxative effect in large doses ... that
doesn't sound wonderful, but I wonder if the average person using it
in normal situations notices the effect.

I ate quite a bit of the sugar alcohols when on Atkins. I can't say I
noticed any laxative effect.
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Splenda, as I posted in an earlier thread, makes me very sick, very
quickly (few hours) and we are talking similar effects - not of a
regular OTC "laxative" - but like "X-Prep", a most powerful,
purging-type laxative given to patients to take before their
digestive barium-type or renal contrast-type radiology exams.
A pleasant way to do myself in would be to bake Splenda
cookies and eat them all, LOL. Good luck to those who get
no effect from consuming Splenda and all its beneficial qualities.
I'll stick to Equal and saccharin (aftertaste of the latter is
nothing compared to a Splenda happening!)........
Good news for you Splenda fans: it's being put in more and
more commercially-produced foods and I have to read all
labels before tossing my usual treats into my cart......or
they'll bite my ***!

Old April 3rd 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-03, Bill Stock penned:

Thanks for the Keyboard rec BTW, came today. It seems to be working
fine, although the mouse seems to have a mind of it's own at times.
Likely just a setup issue. I love the Blue Tooth, absolutely no
wires, unlike the previous mouse, which sat about a foot away from
it's receiver.

Err, well, that's not the mouse I recommended, as I don't have any
bluetooth pointer devices ...

Anyway, all of my logitech trackballs have come with Windows drivers
that allow you to define "up" ... if you're running Windows, maybe
that will help.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old April 3rd 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-03, Bill Stock penned:

Thanks for the Keyboard rec BTW, came today. It seems to be working
fine, although the mouse seems to have a mind of it's own at times.
Likely just a setup issue. I love the Blue Tooth, absolutely no
wires, unlike the previous mouse, which sat about a foot away from
it's receiver.

Err, well, that's not the mouse I recommended, as I don't have any
bluetooth pointer devices ...

Well you did recommend the Logitech. Keyboard's a bit spongy for my
taste, but overall very nice. Just have to get used to all the extra buttons
now (multimedia, etc). I'm happier than a cat with a new box, just to keep
it somewhat OT.

Old April 3rd 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-03, Bill Stock penned:

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

Err, well, that's not the mouse I recommended, as I don't have any
bluetooth pointer devices ...

Well you did recommend the Logitech. Keyboard's a bit spongy for
my taste, but overall very nice. Just have to get used to all the
extra buttons now (multimedia, etc). I'm happier than a cat with a
new box, just to keep it somewhat OT.

Yeah. I've never gone wrong with Logitech. I've never used the extra
buttons, though.

Currently my main computer actually has a Logitech G15 keyboard, which
is designed for gaming. It looks really impressive, but I've never
gotten around to programming the nifty macro keys (the whole reason I
got it). Its number one nifty feature, to me, is a slider that
toggles the ability to use the "windows" key, so that you don't
accidentally bring up the start menu while playing the game.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old April 3rd 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
Someone pointed me to Xylitol as a sugar substitute, particularly for
baking. It apparently has dental benefits and fewer calories than
sugar. This person said that she has even made a creme brule that
turned out beautifully. I think she said that, in a recipe calling
for sugar, she uses half that amount of Xylitol instead.

Has anyone else used this, either as a sweetener or in baking? What
are your experiences?

I read that it can have a laxative effect in large doses ... that
doesn't sound wonderful, but I wonder if the average person using it
in normal situations notices the effect.

Any form of 'artifical sweetner' leaves me with godawful stomach cramps
followed by violent diarrhea. I have to be very careful these days. I can't
have any chewing gum (all have artifical sweetner in them) and have to be
very careful around 'low fat' and 'healthy' foods, because they often add
some artifical sweetners to reduce the calorie content.

If you are looking for something to substitute for sugar, I'd go fructose,
the fruit sugar. Its twice as sweet, weight for weight, as normal table
sugar (and therefore effectively half the calories), but is in no way
"artificial", and you should be able to cook with it.

Yowie