Sudafed for Cats

Old November 17th 03, 12:27 AM
Mary

Default Sudafed for Cats

An update--

Due to the concern raised here about 30 mgs being too much for a
little cat, my friend managed to half a pill, which her kitty hated so
much she foamed and gagged it up. She then gave her a whole one (last
night this time) and by morning she was breathing clearly. Although
the vet said to give her 30 mgs twice a day, my friend is going to
wait until tomorrow to give her another, and will only do that if she
is still congested. She says it has not made the kitty sleepy and has
helped a lot. Thanks for all advice, you guys are great!

Old November 17th 03, 05:12 AM
MGW

Due to the concern raised here about 30 mgs being too much for a
little cat, my friend managed to half a pill, which her kitty hated so
much she foamed and gagged it up. She then gave her a whole one (last
night this time)

A whole 60mg tab?

Sudafed comes in 30 mg tabs. The adult dose is 2 tabs (60 mg). The
dose for children is one tab.

Old November 17th 03, 09:26 AM
Mary

"Laura R." wrote in
message .net...
circa Mon, 17 Nov 2003 00:27:34 GMT, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
Mary ) said,
An update--

Due to the concern raised here about 30 mgs being too much for a
little cat, my friend managed to half a pill, which her kitty

hated so
much she foamed and gagged it up. She then gave her a whole one

(last
night this time)

A whole 60mg tab?

A single tab is 30 mgs.

Old November 17th 03, 10:05 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"Laura R." wrote in message
.net...
circa Mon, 17 Nov 2003 00:27:34 GMT, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
Mary ) said,
An update--

Due to the concern raised here about 30 mgs being too much for a
little cat, my friend managed to half a pill, which her kitty hated so
much she foamed and gagged it up. She then gave her a whole one (last
night this time)

A whole 60mg tab?

The Sudafed tabs come in 30 mg; I assume she gave a whole 30 mg tab, after
actually managing to cut one in half & trying to give the half-tab/15 mg to
the cat - which caused the cat distress. My *guess* is that they're meant
to be taken whole, considering how they're manufactured. They're quite
small, so the glossy hard coating may be to dissuade people from trying to
split them (Vs. coating for easy swallowing) - perhaps they're very bitter,
for ex. (I don't know, I've never even tried to split one of those tabs;
seems like it would just skitter out from under a knife & go shooting across
the room!)

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon