Help feeding 3 week old kittens

Old August 26th 04, 06:42 PM
Amy Flemming

Default Help feeding 3 week old kittens

Greetings,

I am currently hand rearing four 3 week old kittens. I have been hand
rearing them since they were 1 or 2 days old.

I work at a horse farm (a whole different story), and one of the barn
kitties had this litter (6 total, but two died the third day - the
runt and one found the day after the others). She abandoned them and
was attacking them because she had no milk (she also had an abcessed
neck). The kids at the farm were trying to hand feed them until I
came in and stopped this (they were just about asperating them!) and
took them home. Because they were so tiny and weak, I tube fed them
for the first two days. After they got some strength, I switched them
to a bottle and they took to it wonderfully.

The people at the barn were feeding the Just Born brand, which I took
home. I like the Pet-Ag people, so I gradually switched them over to
that. They are fully on KMR, for about 2 full days now.

They are very small (and may have been premature, but had fur on their
legs) and currently only weigh about 4 oz at 21 days. I know they
*should* be closer to 10 oz, and this concerns me. However, they have
"meat on their bones" and their spines and ribs are quite cushioned.
I do not know what they weighed when I brought them home as I did not
have a scale at that time.

They are about the size of my hand, are getting their front nibbler
teeth, and are purring (or trying to) when they eat or when I pick
them up. They have great lungs. =)

They have just recently (8/25/04) begun to chew on the nipple of the
bottle and spit it out. One suck all of the formula down, stwo suck
down half and then chew and spit out the nipple, and one just will
chew on and spit out the nipple. They still are not licking, except
maybe one lick on my finger and then nothing else.

The ones doing this are losing weight slowly and I am not sure if I
should tube feed them again to get the weight built up again. I was
not sure if maybe this was a teething thing and that maybe they will
get over this soon.

If I do not find some info on this soon, I will start tube feeding
them and will get them to the vet. But I thought I would ask tonight
and maybe get some answers before the vet's office opens.

Thanks!

Amy
Old August 26th 04, 08:12 PM
Wendy

"Amy Flemming" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I've had kittens do this and it's usually when they are ready to start
weaning. Your guys are a little young for that although not by much. See if
you can get them to lick formula off your finger or from a spoon. If they
will then try putting formula in a shallow dish and have them lick your
finger while lowering toward the dish.

Check the hole in the nipple and make sure they are still getting a good
flow through it. If they aren't that might be tiring them out or frustrating
them.

I'd definitely get them to the vet. Although bottle fed kittens can be
underweight these guys are really small. I'd have them checked.

Old August 27th 04, 06:17 PM
~*Connie*~

I have had very little luck with bottles, and tend to syringes to squirt
liquid in their mouths.

start mixing the kmr with a finely ground wet food and give them the mash.
Try putting a little in their mouths to help them figure out what they are
supposed to do with it. Most will take right to it. I had one trying to
eat at 2 weeks.. silly kitten! I also had one who had no idea how to feed
herself till she was six weeks, despite her siblings doing it right in front
of her!.

Good luck