PLEASE READ - Conan's Adoption

Old June 27th 05, 01:38 AM
KellyH

Default PLEASE READ - Conan's Adoption

Hi there. I am posting this at the risk of being flamed for being a Googler
and a troublemaker. I don't care. I want Conan to go to a good home, and I
think that's what everyone else wants too.
I took it for granted that someone on here had actually had a conversation
with Charlie Wilkes and done some screening.

Some troubling posts have jumped out at me, and I thought I should bring
them to everyone's attention. The rooster thread is particularly
disturbing, as well as some of the comments made about cats. Doesn't strike
me as a cat lover. There are some posts about growing pot, and while my own
personal beliefs are that pot should be legalized (no, I don't smoke it or
do any drugs) this is not a suitable environment for a cat. He could be
arrested and the animals taken away. I would not adopt a cat to someone I
knew was engaging in illegal activity.
There's also reference to a cat back in 2001 but no reference to it since.

So, here are the links:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...9ddabe2d?hl=en

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...&rnum=37&hl=en

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...75a2ca00?hl=en

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...e25baee7?hl=en

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...e+wilkes&hl=en

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...s&rnum=8&hl=en

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...54ddf3529145e9

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...f9ac9c51d80169

Old June 27th 05, 01:50 AM
Mary

"KellyH" kelly at farringtons dot net wrote in message
Hi there. I am posting this at the risk of being flamed for being a

Googler
and a troublemaker. I don't care. I want Conan to go to a good home, and

think that's what everyone else wants too.
I took it for granted that someone on here had actually had a conversation
with Charlie Wilkes and done some screening.

We watched Charlie care for and try to help the little stray he had in
his bathroom for so long, and have had numerous conversations with
him in the group. I feel confident about him. If you don't then don't
contribute to the fund.

Old June 27th 05, 01:51 AM
Cheryl

On Sun 26 Jun 2005 08:38:12p, KellyH wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

[...]

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/.../msg/11d073ae9
ddabe2d?hl=en

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...ehavior/browse
_thread/thread/f354ec42ed29539c/8605ae5dec89c0b1?q=cat&rnum=37&hl
=en

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...ehavior/msg/76
13eb9575a2ca00?hl=en

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...ehavior/msg/63
c700bae25baee7?hl=en

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/....poultry/brows
e_thread/thread/4f99320f21fbcd9e/e9a8873fa8ad602f?q=charlie+wilke
s&hl=en

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...ehavior/browse
_thread/thread/4fbea26496d311e0/6f3e2818300bb3a1?q=charlie+wilkes
&rnum=8&hl=en

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...sg/f454ddf3529
145e9

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/.../msg/d9f9ac9c5
1d80169

Thank you. Since no one takes my posts seriously any more, I'm
glad you found the same things that I did and posted about. The
rooster one bothers me too, and while I don't care if people smoke
pot, I don't like that he gets his cat high. Charlie shouldn't
adopt Conan.

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old June 27th 05, 02:02 AM
animzmirot

Oh goodness, I just don't know WHAT to think at this moment. I read all the
links, and some of them were pretty disturbing. But then again, I don't know
Charlie and I sure don't know his sense of humor, so I'm not sure whether or
not he's just plain bizarre, or has got a real sarcastic vein running thru
him. Whatever, it concerns me that Conan might be going to another home that
might not work out.

If I knew that my Ringo wouldn't kill Conan (and I don't), or pee all over
our house (a sure bet) I'd have Conan flown here and you could become his
surregate auntie. I just don't see how we could do that right now. But I'm
scared for Conan.

Does anyone 'know' Charlie who can vouch for him?

Marjorie

Old June 27th 05, 02:04 AM
KellyH

"Mary" wrote

We watched Charlie care for and try to help the little stray he had in
his bathroom for so long, and have had numerous conversations with
him in the group. I feel confident about him. If you don't then don't
contribute to the fund.

You think someone that cuts the toe off a rooster, with no anesthesia, gets
his cat high, makes comments about throwing kittens out the car window and
putting a cat in a box and holding it up to a tailpipe, and not taking a cat
to the vet that was bleeding from the nose and mouth is a suitable adopter?

One good deed does not clear all these things IMO.

-Kelly

Old June 27th 05, 02:05 AM

KellyH wrote:
[...]

I've been only semi-following Conan's story (or rpch+b in general
lately). However, I did read the posts of the following links, & holy
sh*t! Considering the content of these posts, I would not adopt an
animal out to this person.

Cathy

Old June 27th 05, 02:08 AM
Alison

I'm a bit concerned, I've just posted this is another thread.

" What sort of home did you want for Conan? Will he live inside , can
Charlie afford his vets bills etc ?
Did you Google Charlie?
I know Charlie from RPDB. He lives in a rural area and lives a rural
life which has a harder attitude towards animals, Its kind of him to
offer Conan a home and I know he cares about animals. he helped a
stray cat he found but he found it bleeding and I appreciate there
aren't
many vets near by in rural areas but it never was checked over by a
vet which is pretty important .
Also his dog ran off and he tied it up outside and didn't feed it
for two days to try to teach it not to do it again , That's not the
way
to go about dealing with an animal . I wonder if he knows enough about
cats to be able to deal with introducing a new cat to his recent one
and other problems that cats can present ."
Alison

--
http://catinfolinks.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/
http://doginfolinks.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/

Old June 27th 05, 02:12 AM
Alison

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Sun 26 Jun 2005 08:38:12p, KellyH wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

Thank you. Since no one takes my posts seriously any more, I'm

glad you found the same things that I did and posted about. The
rooster one bothers me too, and while I don't care if people smoke
pot, I don't like that he gets his cat high. Charlie shouldn't
adopt Conan.

--
Cheryl..

I saw a photo of Charlie once, he has this lovely long beard ,
like ZZ Top.
I dont care if he smokes pot either. I was concerned about the way he
dealt with his dog when it ran away.
Alison

Old June 27th 05, 02:19 AM
Mary

"KellyH" kelly at farringtons dot net wrote in message

"Mary" wrote

We watched Charlie care for and try to help the little stray he had in
his bathroom for so long, and have had numerous conversations with
him in the group. I feel confident about him. If you don't then don't
contribute to the fund.

You think someone that cuts the toe off a rooster, with no anesthesia,

gets
his cat high, makes comments about throwing kittens out the car window and
putting a cat in a box and holding it up to a tailpipe, and not taking a

cat
to the vet that was bleeding from the nose and mouth is a suitable

adopter?

One good deed does not clear all these things IMO.

Charlie has a strange sense of humor, I will give you that. I have no
emotional investment in sending Conan to Charlie if that is not what
the others who are supporting this rescue want to do. I have less
interest in the comments and opinions of those who are not
financially supporting this rescue, as Rhonda, TracyRose,
Dan and Charlie have of course volunteered to do via
their money or their time--the latter which amounts to money
too.

If not Charlie, then who else? Let's have a Who's Best for
Conan contest, the prize being Conan.

Old June 27th 05, 03:00 AM
PawsForThought

KellyH wrote:
"Mary" wrote

We watched Charlie care for and try to help the little stray he had in
his bathroom for so long, and have had numerous conversations with
him in the group. I feel confident about him. If you don't then don't
contribute to the fund.

You think someone that cuts the toe off a rooster, with no anesthesia, gets
his cat high, makes comments about throwing kittens out the car window and
putting a cat in a box and holding it up to a tailpipe, and not taking a cat
to the vet that was bleeding from the nose and mouth is a suitable adopter?

One good deed does not clear all these things IMO.

Oh jeez This does NOT sound like a good home for Conan - at all.