Broken meower

Old September 9th 03, 05:11 AM
Marek Williams

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 01:50:51 GMT, "PattyC"
dijo:

So, what is the "cat-whisperer?"

Go rent the movie "The Horse Whisperer."

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

Old September 9th 03, 07:54 AM
Marek Williams

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 21:32:38 -0500, "Kathy" Don
dijo:

I adopted a cat from the Humane Society a year ago October. I have never
heard him meow. My husband said the other day when I left the house he cried
a little. His purrs are so soft they can hardly be heard either...He took to
the litter box right away. He's never messed on the floor yet. I think they
are pretty smart when it comes to litter boxes and what they are
for

Thanks. I have come to the conclusion that his silence is nothing to
be alarmed at.

I had another couple breakthroughs with him today. For the past
several months he's been hanging around a house five houses down the
street from me. The lady who lives there was giving him table scraps
out of pity, but didn't want him. When I started with him I would feed
him there. Three days ago I went there in the morning to feed him and
he came running up, acting really hungry. I'd been worried about how I
was going to get him up to my house, so I decided to see if he would
follow me. He did.

But as soon as he was finished he'd leave and go back to the other
house. Every feeding session I had to go down there and have him
follow me back home. Well, this morning I went out the back door where
I'd been feeding him and there he was, waiting for his breakfast!

My back door is really the back door to a small greenhouse built onto
the back of my garage. So I let him in the greenhouse (it has been
raining a lot the last couple days), and feed him there. When he
finished he sniffed all around the greenhouse, and then walked out the
door to the back yard. But instead of going back to the lady's house
down the block, he sniffed around the yard. And then he went off to a
corner and peed. And finally, he returned to the greenhouse and curled
up on the floor. He's deciding this is home finally! But more
important to me, he seems to understand the idea of indoors vs outdors
and the latter is the proper place to pee and poop.

This evening he was waiting again at the greenhouse door, and I fed
him in the greenhouse. I sat out there while he was eating. I was
hungry too, so I went back into the house and got myself a piece of
cheese to nibble on. When I sat down again he saw me eating the
cheese, left his food and came over to my chair, looking up at me
expectantly. I remember my old boy cat used to love little bites of
cheese, so I pinched off some pieces and gave them to him. He loved
it.

After I finished and there was no more he went back and ate some more
of his supper. When he was full he came back to my chair and sat
looking up at me. I swear he was wondering if he could come up into my
lap. I tried to encourage him to, but he didn't. Still awfully scared.
But he laid down next to the chair and purred. He always stays by me
after eating until I finally get up and leave. Then he goes away too.
I think he's still going back to the house down the street, but it's
clear now that he will eventually stop going there and just stay with
me all the time.

When I first started with him he wouldn't let anyone get within ten
feet of him unless he was getting a handout, and even then he would
grab the food and run hide under a bush to eat it. If anyone tried to
touch him he's hiss and scratch at them. He looked like he had about a
week to live, filthy, matted hair, runny eyes and so arthritic he
looked like he was in constant pain. Now he's walking normally, I've
got his fur cleaned up and even his runny eyes are clearing up. He's
still pretty skinny, but it's amazing how he has responded to me.
Decent food and a little attention makes all the difference.

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

Old September 9th 03, 02:52 PM
Pete G. Wilcox

In article ,
Marek Williams wrote:

Has anyone ever run into a cat that never meows?

There is a stray I am in the process of adopting. When I started with
him he was semi-feral. He wouldn't let anyone get close enough to
touch him. If anyone was successful in touching him he hissed at them
and lashed out with claws and mouth.

After a month of playing the cat-whisperer, I have gotten him to the
point where he loves to have me pet him, rub his ears, and talk to
him. He comes running, tail in the air, as soon as he sees me coming.
He's actually starting to act just like a cat. I have a ways to go,
and there are other worries -- like when I get him to my house will he
understand about litter boxes and such. No way to tell yet.

In the meantime, I am curious because he never meows. He's been around
the neighborhood for several years, and no one has ever heard him
meow. He doesn't even try. His sole vocal ability seems to be hissing
and purring. If he lost his voice at some time, I would think he would
still make the attempt, even if nothing came out. He doesn't growl
either. I've never heard of a mute cat. Has anyone else?

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

Our family's first cat Peanut (female) meowed rarely..aside from meowing
to let us know that it was time to eat OR if she wanted to be let
outside. Shortly after her passing we got Ted (now also gone) from the
local SPCA/animal shelter. He had a meow for everything! He reminded
me of those people that just like to hear themselves talk? LOL! Anyway
great cat..sadly missed.

PGW