Advice please - long hair issue re Smudge

Old January 21st 05, 08:37 PM
TBird

Default Advice please - long hair issue re Smudge

So, Smudge is a longhaied barn kitty, well equipped for the weather and
loving her huge territory.

BUT

She has these huge fur clots behind each ear.

This week it's going to be 40's and 50's during the day, and just below
freezing at night. (Last week was -8 to -10 every night and she was fine)

Should I clip those clots out now, or wait until spring?

TBird ---- got purred all over a little while ago

Old January 21st 05, 11:26 PM
PatM

Hmmm...Will Smudge allow you handle her? Those mats can get pretty
uncomfortable when they get big--like us wearing a ponytail that's
pulled too tight. Could you break them up a little with sissors? That
might get her through untill the weather warms up.

Old January 21st 05, 11:40 PM
PatM

Sorry TBird! I'm new, this is my first post and I thought I messed the
first one up (blushes). Here in MT we certainly have our share of barn
cats and it's good to see someone concerned and caring about them.
Most that I've seen, while not feral, are quite skittish around people.
I guess I would say to wait if you would be taking a lot of fur off
and exposing bare skin to the elements. My 2 cents!lol

Old January 22nd 05, 12:53 AM
TBird

"PatM" wrote in message
oups.com...
Sorry TBird! I'm new, this is my first post and I thought I messed the
first one up (blushes).

No worries, happens all the time.

Here in MT we certainly have our share of barn
cats and it's good to see someone concerned and caring about them.

I'm in Colorado, I stole this cat more or less. She's an outdoor kitty, I
think she was born to the neighbors cat in our barn last spring. She
decided (gee, I don't know how) that she likes us better. (Ahem.)

Most that I've seen, while not feral, are quite skittish around people.
I guess I would say to wait if you would be taking a lot of fur off
and exposing bare skin to the elements. My 2 cents!lol

It's a big chunk held on with a fairly small batch of fur.

I guess I could cut as close to the chunk as possible and try breaking up
the rest....

She's really cuddly and she loves me to death. She climbs all over me every
day. I think I can do this, no problem. I'll wait until tomorrow.

TBird --- thinking I will cut them off

Old January 22nd 05, 09:06 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

PatM wrote:

Hmmm...Will Smudge allow you handle her? Those mats can get pretty
uncomfortable when they get big--like us wearing a ponytail that's
pulled too tight. Could you break them up a little with sissors? That
might get her through untill the weather warms up.

Sometimes, if you clip just the outer layer of the mat, a
good part of it disintegrates. (If not immediately, then
when the cat grooms itself after the "operation".)

Old January 23rd 05, 07:35 AM
kilikini

TBird wrote:
"PatM" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

TBird, despite the cold, if the fur is that matted, it's not helping to keep
her warm. I'd cut off the matted hair; it will only get worse otherwise.

kili

Old January 23rd 05, 11:32 AM
Adrian

TBird wrote:
So, Smudge is a longhaied barn kitty, well equipped for the weather
and loving her huge territory.

BUT

She has these huge fur clots behind each ear.

This week it's going to be 40's and 50's during the day, and just
below freezing at night. (Last week was -8 to -10 every night and
she was fine)

Should I clip those clots out now, or wait until spring?

TBird ---- got purred all over a little while ago

Clip now, they can only get worse, not better.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.