Icarus Going Back To The Vet

Old March 25th 08, 02:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Protector

Default Icarus Going Back To The Vet

Thanks. I just worry about them because they're used to having food
available all the time. Maybe Isis will lose a little weight this way.

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Don't worry, they won't be hungry all the time. Cats in the wild don't
find something to eat three times a day - in fact they usually only hunt
at dawn and dusk (they're crepuscular). All predators are able to skip
the occasional mean since hunting remains a hit and miss occupation (I
think the big cats have an average of 60% misses, 40% kills).

Isis misses her brother but is also enjoying the fact it's just me and
her right now. Icarus and she tend to be typical siblings and sometimes
he tries to antagonize her. Right now she's resting comfortably on one of
the Purr Pads.

Purrs are continuing for Icarus to feel better and come home soon.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 25th 08, 03:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Rene S." wrote

He and Isis will be on an all canned diet.

You made a smart decision to switch both to all canned. I think you
will find that, once they are used to the schedule, that they will be
satisfied and won't be begging.

It's true. Kudos to CP! You're a great cat dad. Hope Icky is better soon.

Old March 25th 08, 03:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Cat Protector" wrote in message
I think people need to realize that I had 3 cats at the time and 2 of them
never had any diet issues. I discussed with the vet the food options so
now it's been decided that both Isis and Icarus will have to eat only
canned food but I did ask about dry foods that are softer and have
moisture as well. I got to visit Icarus today and he isn't happy about
being there. I brought a teaser to hang on the cage to hopefully keep him
occupied instead of biting the vet.

I never for a moment thought you were doing anything less than you thought
was best for your cats - I know you love them.

I did not mean to imply anything negative about CP either. Just thought it
important
to point out the possible connection between UT problems and low quality
food.

We all have budgets, and often our income is not as much in our control as
we
would like.

No offense meant, CP.

Old March 25th 08, 04:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Protector

Actually, both cats were on a high quality foods. I've had them on Nutro and
also Blue Buffalo Spa Select. However, it gets expensive with the higher
quality foods. The vet chose to put Icarus on Science Diet SD canned because
he says they've had success. I'm not a fan of this but I also don't want
Icarus to have to keep going back to the hospital. BTW, Four Peaks Animal
Clinic is excellent and they're taking good care of Icarus. If anyone wants
to check up on him we'll be happy to give out the number.

Old March 25th 08, 05:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Isis losing weight. When I made the switch from dry to canned,
Tucker lost weight for the first time in his life. There's plenty of
information on his web site: http://community-2.webtv.net/getcathelp/tucker/

The main thing to do is NOT feed them right when you get up in the
morning. Get up, eat breakfast or get some coffee/read the newspaper,
and feed them after that. That way, they won't associate you getting
up with food, and try to wake you up earlier. The same thing in the
evening: when you get home, don't feed them right away. Wait until
about 12 hours later. I feed my cats at 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. daily. If
I'm off by an hour or so, that's still ok and it won't harm them.
Don't worry about feeding them three times per day. They get so much
more out of the canned food that they will be satisfied and not
hungry.

A bonus is that, because you are feeding them only twice per day, you
can tell instantly if one of them is not feeling well and goes off
their food. With dry food just sitting out, you don't know who has
eaten what.
Old March 25th 08, 07:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"mc" wrote

Also, just so know... I don't think anyone here thinks you don't know
what you are doing with your kitties. I for one know you love them and
I am sure you spoil them rotten (LOL)... But a lot of us trusted our
vets to know what was right nutritionally, so please don't feel like
anyone is jumping on you here.

Dont worry, even this old cat keeper learned something new from those sites.

Old March 25th 08, 07:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mc

Isis losing weight. When I made the switch from dry to canned,
Tucker lost weight for the first time in his life. There's plenty of
information on his web site: http://community-2.webtv.net/getcathelp/tucker/

The main thing to do is NOT feed them right when you get up in the
morning. Get up, eat breakfast or get some coffee/read the
newspaper,

Rene,

This is why I love to read these posts... That is really excellent
advice.

Tucker is just a darling cat! What a sweetie!!!
I digress... LOL
Old March 25th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Protector

I tried to visit Icarus today but they were pretty busy apparently. They
said they gave him his pills and food. He's still screaming at them though
so I'm sure they'll be glad when he's ready to go home.

Old March 26th 08, 05:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh>\o\

On Mar 24, 12:20*am, "Cat Protector" wrote:
It looks like Icarus may be going back to the vet for another possible
urinary obstruction. I called the vet and left a message so hopefully I'll
get a call back despite it being a Sunday. I've followed all of the vet's
instructions and he gets canned food quite often every day and also gets
water. Today, he was throwing up and also has a bit of diarrhea. He was just
at the vet on Wednesday to have a urine sample done and the vet was able to
get good stream of urine from him. This is pretty unreal because it's
costing quite a lot to have him in and out of the vet. The worst part is
that Icarus's attitude at the vet is pretty unruly.

I put Icarus in the bathroom with his own litterbox. He's also had his
medication every single day so I don't know how he could have had all this
happen again. He's been kept hydrated. It's getting to be pretty expensive..

I haven't posted in a while- but noticed this one today & just wanted
you to know that we are sending Purrs & Best wishes from this side of
the pond too,
Regards,
Sheelagh "o"
Old March 26th 08, 05:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Sheelagh"o"" wrote :

I haven't posted in a while- but noticed this one today & just wanted
you to know that we are sending Purrs & Best wishes from this side of
the pond too,

Hi Sheelagh, how are you? How nice to see you in the group!