Cat rash that won't go away.

Old June 12th 05, 03:18 AM

Default Cat rash that won't go away.

It is driving me and my wife crazy. We've never had a problem like this with
any animal we've owned. Our cat keeps getting rashes on various parts of her
body, especially around her ears. She'll scratch herself until she bleeds,
so we've got a cone on her head as I write this.
We've tried shampooing her every other day with a medicated shampoo from the
vet that is supposed to help this condition. It does some good and then it
comes back.
It's very frustrating.

--
Eschew Obfuscation.

Old June 12th 05, 05:05 AM
Rhonda

What condition does the vet say she has?

Does she have fleas? Many cats are allergic to flea bites. Is she
allergic to something in her food? That can make them break out and
swell (one side of our cat's face swelled and he scratched himself until
he bled.) Are they sure it is not ringworm? That normally doesn't look
like a rash, but is a bald, itchy patch.

Whatever is the root cause -- it has not gone away. Maybe another vet
could give you another opinion, and help you find and eliminate the cause.

Good luck!

Rhonda

Old June 12th 05, 10:21 AM
Phil P.

wrote in message
It is driving me and my wife crazy. We've never had a problem like this

with
any animal we've owned. Our cat keeps getting rashes on various parts of

her
body, especially around her ears. She'll scratch herself until she bleeds,
so we've got a cone on her head as I write this.
We've tried shampooing her every other day with a medicated shampoo from

the
vet that is supposed to help this condition. It does some good and then it
comes back.
It's very frustrating.

Try changing her food to a single protein diet.

Phil

Old June 12th 05, 06:16 PM
Mary

"Phil P." wrote in message

wrote in message
It is driving me and my wife crazy. We've never had a problem like this

with
any animal we've owned. Our cat keeps getting rashes on various parts of

her
body, especially around her ears. She'll scratch herself until she

bleeds,
so we've got a cone on her head as I write this.
We've tried shampooing her every other day with a medicated shampoo from

the
vet that is supposed to help this condition. It does some good and then

it
comes back.
It's very frustrating.

Try changing her food to a single protein diet.

If it's allergy related, this is a good idea. It sure helped with my
little tabby.

Old June 13th 05, 06:27 PM

We are going out of town for a few days and have elected to kennel Nica with
the vet. Hopefully this will make some headway on dealing with this rash. At
least, the vet will get a good look at what's wrong.
Peace.

Old June 13th 05, 11:38 PM
marika

wrote in message
We are going out of town for a few days and have elected to kennel Nica

with
the vet. Hopefully this will make some headway on dealing with this rash.

At
least, the vet will get a good look at what's wrong.
Peace.

i forget what we used. but high dose of corticosteroid is a must over a
short course. there was a diet change with omega oils or something called
like that. powder in a can. and lots of broth to deal with the nausea from
the crummy drugs.

then of course you apply clearasilly and that will help the rash and you can
put your cat on the comics and she will become variegated

i SAID I didn't remember the drugs name

sometimes it is caused by a beloved treat

mk5000

"it was the craggy island factor that people never quite got ABout the boom
town rats. You had the pistols singing about no future, because they were
just waking up to an england where you might not get a decent job"--bob
geldof

Old June 20th 05, 09:28 PM

Just got Nika back from the vet. Her rash was a fungus, so we've been
bleaching every surface in the house to get rid of it. We've also got some
Lyme dip and pills for her. The fungus is gone from her ears, etc., at the
moment, and she's a lot happier.
One thing we found out that was good news: Nika gets along well with other
cats and other people, so it shouldn't be a problem if we decide to get her
a playmate.
Peace.