Took in a sick cat...

Old August 23rd 04, 05:02 AM
Brigitte

"~*Connie*~" wrote in message
I don't see where the cat is on antibiotics. I would highly recommend
them.

Hi Connie,
I started her on antibiotics Friday evening. I'm keeping the wound clean
and putting antibiotic topical treatment as well. I think all will be well
in about 2 weeks, after the course of antibiotics has completed.

Brigitte

"Brigitte" wrote in message
Hi Group,
Hope you can give me some advice. About a month ago I took in a cat

that
had once belonged to someone I know. She had pretty-much stopped caring

for
the cat. I felt bad and took the cat into my care.

When I got the cat she was very thin and had an abscess on her behind.

It
is near her rectum and had several openings from where my vet had opened

it
up and drained it.

It had been healing nicely, but after 2 weeks she must have began
licking/chewing on it, cuz now it's reopened and oozing puss and blood
again. I am cleaning it with peroxide and putting antibacterial cream

on
it, but it doesn't seem to get any better. I've put an elizabethan

collar
on her, but it doesn't seem to have improved the healing process.

I've had her spayed and declawed and thought she was on her way to

recovery
with the thing on her behind, but it just never seems to go away.

She's been tested for all the feline diseases and been found negative.

Anyone out there have any ideas or suggestions as what I can try at

home?

Thanks in advance.

Brigitte

Old August 23rd 04, 09:06 AM
Mary

"Sherry " wrote in message
I know this part of PA well. There can be only one reason why the above

is
true: sheer ignorance and/or unbridled soccer mom/boozy businessman dad
suburban materialism as in "the drapes are more important than the cat."

I think those reasons in a nutshell are the usual reason for declaw. And

total disrespect for what inherently makes a cat a cat. But mostly what

you
said, sheer ignorance and a belief that the procedure is "normal and

routine."
And sheer selfishness. Oh, wait. I'm preaching to the choir.

Yes, but we must recharge, after all. It helps me, anyway.