Fleas on Newborns -- Advantage Kill Them?

Old May 17th 04, 01:34 AM
Jerry Ingerski

Default Fleas on Newborns -- Advantage Kill Them?

My newborn kittens have fleas! I've treated the mother with Advantage.
Would the little kitties die if I put just one drop on them? I know the
directions say only for kittens over six weeks.

jji

Old May 17th 04, 01:54 AM
MacCandace

Would the little kitties die if I put just one drop on them? I know the
directions say only for kittens over six weeks.

Don't do it, they might die and then you would feel awful (I would hope). Call
the vet and ask what to do about them. They're probably even too little to be
bathed or flea-combed.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old May 17th 04, 02:19 AM
Mary

My newborn kittens have fleas! I've treated the mother with Advantage.
Would the little kitties die if I put just one drop on them? I know the
directions say only for kittens over six weeks.

You can put a couple of drops on the bedding around them. I also use a tiny
flea comb and comb/pluck the fleas off of them.

Old May 17th 04, 03:45 AM
Dennis Carr

On Mon, 17 May 2004 00:34:34 +0000, Jerry Ingerski wrote:

My newborn kittens have fleas! I've treated the mother with Advantage.
Would the little kitties die if I put just one drop on them? I know the
directions say only for kittens over six weeks.

I'm with MacCandace, don't do advantage on the kittens.

My veterinarian's recept staff once recommended Frontline for at least
pregnant and nursing mothers, but...well, ask about. Jerry there probably
had a good idea.

Another thing you can do is sprinkle borax powder around the kindle for a
few yards. It won't kill the fleas in there, but it will keep any in the
carpet out (and kill any that contact it).

That brings up another issue. Anyone else have good ideas for flea
repellant where there are infant kittens at stake?

--
Dennis Carr - | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.