Outside the box frustration

Old May 18th 04, 11:52 PM
PattyC

Default Outside the box frustration

Hi all,

I haven't been here in awhile, but I am back to request some thoughts or
advice. My 3 year old kitty has in recent weeks (maybe 8 or 10 weeks?) been
pooping outside the litter box on occasion.

I am certain this is a behavioral thing, but will tell you the details so as
to circumvent other assumptions. I have 3 cats who seem to get along well
in general. I had (when this started) 2 boxes upstairs in a spare bedroom
and 1 box in my basement in a back room. She started to poop in the back
room, on the cement floor, near the litter box but not IN it, and clearly
not an accidental miss. At first I was not sure which cat it was (though my
guess was correct), but have since caught her right after the act, so I know
it's her.

My first ploy was to put another box downstairs, thinking maybe they need
more. Within a week or so, she just started leaving her outside the box
stuff between the 2 boxes. I tried leaving the doors open to the back room,
thinking that was too closed and quiet and open air might..... no good.

A couple weeks ago, I decided to move all litter to the upstairs room and
close the doors on the basement back room. I was thinking maybe the secret
outside the box pooping was still something she was doing in a dark quiet
room....I added a litter box upstairs so there are now 3 there (4 had not
helped, so decided to go back to 3). Things went quietly for awhile, then,
sure enough.... Since changing the situation, she has pooped 2X on the rug
in the spare bedroom. Again, somewhat near the litter boxes, but...

I am now trying to decide if I again move litter downstairs, so at least she
will poop in the cement floored back room and not on the rug. Or now will
she go outside the box in BOTH places? I sure hate to think this behavior
might spread to the middle of the living room floor!!! And why the HECK did
she start this behavior after being a good litter girl for several years,
and with NO changes happening in our lives, and with no apparent illness,
and only intermittently?????

I KNOW she is healthy as a horse, and this only happens about once or twice
a week anyway, but just to head off the "take her to the vet" answers, she
has her check up appt. this week. But I promise you this is not about
illness.

So, do I just say, "Oh well..."? Or is there something I might DO to make
this not occur?

PattyC

Old May 19th 04, 01:01 AM
Cheryl

"PattyC" dumped this in
on 18 May 2004:

So, do I just say, "Oh well..."? Or is there something I might DO to
make this not occur?

How big are the boxes? Can you try replacing one of them with a storage bin
type of box? Maybe sometimes she just needs more room to move around to do
her business?

--
Cheryl

Old May 19th 04, 01:18 AM
PattyC

"Cheryl" wrote in message
"PattyC" dumped this in
on 18 May 2004:

So, do I just say, "Oh well..."? Or is there something I might DO to
make this not occur?

How big are the boxes? Can you try replacing one of them with a storage

bin
type of box? Maybe sometimes she just needs more room to move around to do
her business?

--
Cheryl

The boxes are usually big, though occasionally if all are dirty, I use
slightly smaller ones. I don't know how to explain that I think it's about
her SAYING something behaviorally. Just I don't talk 'cat talk,' and can't
figure out what she's telling me.

PattyC

Old May 19th 04, 01:18 AM
PattyC

"Cheryl" wrote in message
"PattyC" dumped this in
on 18 May 2004:

Old May 19th 04, 01:36 AM
~*Connie*~

"PattyC" wrote in message

"Cheryl" wrote in message
"PattyC" dumped this in
on 18 May 2004:

So, do I just say, "Oh well..."? Or is there something I might DO to
make this not occur?

How big are the boxes? Can you try replacing one of them with a storage

bin
type of box? Maybe sometimes she just needs more room to move around to

do
her business?

--
Cheryl

The boxes are usually big, though occasionally if all are dirty, I use
slightly smaller ones. I don't know how to explain that I think it's

about
her SAYING something behaviorally. Just I don't talk 'cat talk,' and

can't
figure out what she's telling me.

PattyC

I can understand why you might think it is behavioral.. But all the cat
experts will tell you to get a thorough health exam before they start trying
to fix behavioral issues - cats are amazing at hiding health issues.

If it is behavioral, then she's obviously telling you she doesn't like
something that is going on. What changes have occurred since the
'accidents' started? Could be something as simple as a new cat is visiting
near by. I see you've added new litterboxes, which is always a first
recommendation. My elder 16lb cat used to have issues missing the box till
I got a big box she couldn't miss out of. I also got a child's wading pool
(like the kind you get at Wal-Mart) and made a litter box out of that.

If you can't think of anything, you might want to consider a litter called
cat attract, and using cat pheromones called feliway. Both have amazing
results

Old May 19th 04, 01:36 AM
~*Connie*~

"PattyC" wrote in message

"Cheryl" wrote in message
"PattyC" dumped this in
on 18 May 2004:

Old May 19th 04, 03:13 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , ~*Connie*~ at
wrote on 5/18/04 7:36 PM:

"PattyC" wrote in message

"Cheryl" wrote in message
"PattyC" dumped this in
on 18 May 2004:

[...]

And play with depth of litter. Also keep boxes as clean as possible. Scoop
at least once a day.

Karen

Old May 19th 04, 03:13 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , ~*Connie*~ at
wrote on 5/18/04 7:36 PM:

"PattyC" wrote in message

"Cheryl" wrote in message
"PattyC" dumped this in
on 18 May 2004:

Old May 19th 04, 03:22 AM
PattyC

"Karen Chuplis" wrote in message

And play with depth of litter. Also keep boxes as clean as possible. Scoop
at least once a day.

Karen

I always scoop daily and change the litter about once a week. (Sometimes my
go 2 weeks...) This is ALL what we have done for that last several years.
Which makes me wonder how/why she now at this time is having behavioral
demostration of anything....

We got our new girl LAST spring. She adjusted relatively nicely, they all
get along. This problem is only in the last many weeks. I just see NO
changes in our lives to make her demostrate 'control' issues or whatever.

She is the only one who sleeps with me, follows me around the house, remains
very close. She is almost like a puppy in her behaviors with me. I would
think she gets lots of lovin', but...

PattyC