*sigh* Tucker's weight, again

Old August 28th 04, 04:25 AM
MaryL

"Rene" wrote in message
om...
Hello all,

I went in to the vet's yesterday to get Tucker weighed. (He's had a
weight problem that I've been trying to control for over two years.
He's now 6.) He was previously on Hills r/d but the vet switched him
to m/d last December.

He's gained a ton of weight! They did a full blood panel on him, in
case of an underactive thyroid, but everything came back clear. I
don't understand. He gets a specific amount of food every day, no
treats except catnip, he has a cat buddy, has to go up stairs to eat,
etc. etc.

Rene

I used to let Holly free feed on dry cat food. I thought it was successful
because her health always seemed good. Then, over the course of a year or
so, I noticed that she looked a little heavier. Sure enough, she had gained
a pound, and that is a substantial percentage of a cat's weight. It was
about that same time that I changed to Wellness and Felidae canned. Holly's
weight dropped back to her optimal level. I was amazed, because I didn't
change food for weight-reduction reasons. I changed cat food because I had
recently adopted Duffy (who clearly needed better nutrition than what he had
been receiving), and I had also started to read recommendations for canned
food instead of dry food. She and Duffy are both thriving on the diet, have
luxurious coats, and display lots of energy. In both cases, their weight has
now remained completely stable at what I (and the vet) consider their
optimal weights. Moreover, neither cat seems hungry on this diet.

I stick to a 12-hour feeding schedule, or as close to that as possible. Each
cat gets 1/3 can twice per day (sizes are 5.5 oz. cans of Wellness or 6.0
oz. cans of Felidae). I open one can for one meal and use 2/3 of it, divided
between the two cats; then repeat the process for the next meal.

This will leave 1/3 can from two separate cans for one meal the following
day. I microwave the portions that have been refrigerated for a short time
to gently warm it. (Note: I am feeding twice a day, not three times) This
doesn't cost as much extra as I expected because my furbabies don't eat as
much as when I used dry food (and free feeding). Nevertheless, they always
seem satisfied. Duffy weighs a little more than 8 pounds, and Holly weighs 9
pounds. I don't know how much your cat weighs, but you would obviously need
to adjust the quantity commensurate with his weight.

I have noticed that I feed fewer calories than the 30 calories per pound
recommendations that I have read on some sites. It is also less than the 1
can per day that Wellness says is typical for an 8 to 10 pound adult cat.
Other friends have noticed the same thing with their cats. This may be
because indoor cats do not need as many calories as outdoor cats - but, for
whatever reason, I think the "recommended" caloric intake is likely to lead
to fat cats. For example, one 5.5 oz. can of Wellness chicken formula has
181 calories. This means that my cats are getting between 13 and 14 calories
per pound per day, and their weight has remained constant on this diet.
Other types of Wellness will vary slightly, but this gives a reasonable
approximation.

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

Old August 28th 04, 03:29 PM
blkcatgal

yes, m/d is like the "atkins diet" for cats. i'd like to hear if anyone has
tried m/d and had it work as far as losing weight. i started my cat on it,
but never really stuck to it (mainly because my vet charged $1.50 per can!).

S.

wrote in message
"blkcatgal" wrote:

r/d has less calories than w/d.

Sorry I meant m/d

-mhd

Old August 28th 04, 03:29 PM
blkcatgal

yes, m/d is like the "atkins diet" for cats. i'd like to hear if anyone has
tried m/d and had it work as far as losing weight. i started my cat on it,
but never really stuck to it (mainly because my vet charged $1.50 per can!).

S.

wrote in message
"blkcatgal" wrote:

r/d has less calories than w/d.

Sorry I meant m/d

-mhd

Old August 28th 04, 03:29 PM
blkcatgal

yes, m/d is like the "atkins diet" for cats. i'd like to hear if anyone has
tried m/d and had it work as far as losing weight. i started my cat on it,
but never really stuck to it (mainly because my vet charged $1.50 per can!).

S.

wrote in message
"blkcatgal" wrote:

r/d has less calories than w/d.

Sorry I meant m/d

-mhd

Old August 28th 04, 05:22 PM

Moe Hair wrote:

Have you tried Purina Pro Plan?

It's the top of their food chain product. Only certain pet stores and
vets sell it. You'll see Purina One in supermarkets, but not Purina Pro
Plan. I don't know why since the price is really not that outrageous per
can. Iams, Nutramax, Eukanuba, or even Pro Plan is not much more per can
than Fancy Feast.

wet food --- http://www.proplan.com/product_detail.aspx?pid=132
dry food --- http://www.proplan.com/product_detail.aspx?pid=118

They got to be kidding???

Daily Feeding Guide
For weight maintenance, feed 1 can per 2-1/2 lbs. body weight daily.
For overweight cats, feed 1 can per 3 lbs. body weight daily.

-mhd