Wellness Cat Food

Old December 17th 04, 04:46 PM
---MIKE---

I checked the can and yes, it does say garlic. I called their 800
number and talked to the man who answered the phone (no recording thank
God), and he said there was just a small amount of garlic for flavor.
He said that large amounts could be harmful but not the amount that's in
Wellness. He added that he has a 18 year old cat that is doing just
fine on Wellness.

---MIKE---

Old December 17th 04, 05:08 PM
PawsForThought

From: ospam (Yngver)

"Helen"
wrote:

Personally I wouldn't feed Wellness, it contains garlic which may cause
Heinz body anaemia, not a risk I'd want to take in a CRF cat:

http://www.felinecrf.org/diet_and_nutrition.htm#onion

Those citations only say that garlic "might' have the same effect as onion.
FYI, Heinz body anemia generally reverses when you stop feeding the onion,
but
of course long-term the condition can be debilitating for an animal that
already has health problems.

It seems to me that if cats fed a steady diet of Wellness were developing
Heinz
body anemia in droves due to the addition of a bit of garlc, the manufacturer
would already have a big class action lawsuit on its hands.

Good point, Yngver. I have read a lot of differing opinions on feeding garlic
to cats. It seems that a cat would have to be fed large amounts of fresh
garlic to have problems from it.
Lauren
________
Declawing Info: http://www.wholecatjournal.com/articles/claws.htm
Old December 17th 04, 08:14 PM
Steve Crane

Nonsense,
Do you know the genetics of the cats in question as well as the
attending vet does? Are you cognizant of the what breeds these cats
are? Have thier parents or siblings been FLUTD kitties? You know none
of this information but still presume to suggest you know more than the
OP's vet who has actually seen the cats and knows them.
To suggest that "serious imbalances" might be the result of
feeding a cat Prescription Diet c/d is just plain goofy. Please let us
know what nutrient level in c/d would be innapropriate for an adult
cat.

Old December 17th 04, 08:26 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-17, ---MIKE--- penned:
I checked the can and yes, it does say garlic. I called their 800 number
and talked to the man who answered the phone (no recording thank God), and
he said there was just a small amount of garlic for flavor. He said that
large amounts could be harmful but not the amount that's in Wellness. He
added that he has a 18 year old cat that is doing just fine on Wellness.

When I bought Wellness a week ago or so for the first time, I also noticed the
garlic in the ingredients list. But the stuff is way far down, like at the
end of the second or third line. After blueberries, for cripes' sakes!

I just have trouble believing that a cat food company would put poison in
their food; therefore I tend to believe they've done their research and that
such a small amount isn't a problem. Maybe I'm naive.

--
monique, who is sometimes allowed to pet Oscar, a grey^H^H^H^Hblue-cream DLH
with an attitude!

Old December 17th 04, 08:28 PM
Ashley

"Steve Crane" wrote in message
oups.com...
Nonsense,
Do you know the genetics of the cats in question as well as the
attending vet does? Are you cognizant of the what breeds these cats
are? Have thier parents or siblings been FLUTD kitties? You know none
of this information but still presume to suggest you know more than the
OP's vet who has actually seen the cats and knows them.
To suggest that "serious imbalances" might be the result of
feeding a cat Prescription Diet c/d is just plain goofy. Please let us
know what nutrient level in c/d would be innapropriate for an adult
cat.

Indeed, I have two cats who both get c/d because it is impossible to
separate them at feeding time. One has had FLUTD, the other hasn't. They
have been eating c/d as their main food for about 18 months now, with about
once-a-week treats of other low-magnesium foods because they do crave
variety (and yes, vet says that's fine). Both are thriving, healthy 10yos.

Old December 17th 04, 09:27 PM
default

Thank you for all your replies. After some discussion, we've decided to
keep the x/d cat on the x/d (this was really a no brainer...he has to stay
on it) and the c/d cats on the c/d. MOSTLY because if I have the Wellness
for the c/d cats, it smells SO good the x/d cat wants to eat it. The c/d and
x/d food smell similar, so now he doesn't feel like he is missing out.

And thank you Helen for the link for inappropriate urination. I appreciate
it, but at this point I could have written that!! We've gone through every
medical test and every suggestion that there is on the web to stop the
peeing outside the box. It still seems to happen about every 4 days.

Thanks again and happy holidays.

"Helen" wrote in message
"default" wrote in message
I know there has been some discussion on Wellness Brand cat food before,

but
I would like to hear people's opinion's on it. I am thinking of

switching
my
cats to it (they've tested it out - the canned food - and love it!!).
I have one cat with CRF - he is currently on Hills x/d (dry mixed with
canned). He's been eating this for about a year. We have episodes with

him
where he will pee outside the box - in fact just had him at the vets

last
week for this very problem. They could find nothing medically wrong with
him. It's looking like it's behavioral...We trying to keep logs and

such
see what could be causing this. Anyway, I don't want to get into his
inappropraite unination problems...

You might want to read this though:

http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments....te_elimination

Do you have any opinions on the harm it
might cause to take him off the x/d and switch him to the Wellness (dry

and
canned mixed...I like giving them something a little crunchy to eat -

they
have tartar problems).

Personally I wouldn't feed Wellness, it contains garlic which may cause
Heinz body anaemia, not a risk I'd want to take in a CRF cat:

http://www.felinecrf.org/diet_and_nutrition.htm#onion

Helen

Old December 21st 04, 12:49 AM
Laila

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 13:26:54 -0700, "Monique Y. Mudama"

On 2004-12-17, ---MIKE--- penned:
I checked the can and yes, it does say garlic. I called their 800 number
and talked to the man who answered the phone (no recording thank God), and
he said there was just a small amount of garlic for flavor. He said that
large amounts could be harmful but not the amount that's in Wellness. He
added that he has a 18 year old cat that is doing just fine on Wellness.

When I bought Wellness a week ago or so for the first time, I also noticed the
garlic in the ingredients list. But the stuff is way far down, like at the
end of the second or third line. After blueberries, for cripes' sakes!

I just have trouble believing that a cat food company would put poison in
their food; therefore I tend to believe they've done their research and that
such a small amount isn't a problem. Maybe I'm naive.

garlik? blueberries? why god, why would they put this into cat food?

-L