Best canned food vs. worst

Old April 19th 05, 04:54 PM
kaeli

In article .com,
enlightened us with...

Dr. Hofve's comments border on the ridiculous.

Who's that?
You didn't quote to whom you were replying.

Along with that
protein comes phosphorus.

Why is that assumed?

In nature, wild cats eat plenty of protein and as far as I know do not have
this problem. Does the phosphorus come from the way commercial foods are
produced?
Would a raw (or organic, all natural, etc) diet eliminate this problem? Can
it be elimated from commercial foods? If so, why the hell isn't it? If not,
why not?

There is ZERO data that
supports the nonsensical claim that dry foods "cause" diabetes.

It's not the food's wetness or dryness. It's what's IN the food.

That is
merely conjecture and hypothesis and has yet to be proven in any way
shape or form.

In cats, no, it has not been proven (anyone have any data?). In humans,
excessive carb and sugar consumption DOES cause diabetes and aggravates
existing pre-diabetes conditions. Considering the fact that humans were meant
to be omnivores and cats were meant to be carnivores, it simply stands to
reason that their biochemistry is maladapted to excessive carb intake and
well-adapted to a high protein, high fat diet. I would love to see real
studies, though.

See, there is no data on the frequency of diabetes in cats who don't eat
commerical foods. In fact, as far as I know, there aren't even any studies on
wet vs dry food.
Just like any other study, it would have to be funded. And what commercial
pet food company would want to encourage people to NOT buy their product? No
one else has the time or funds for a large enough study. So, none are done.

~kaeli~
A lot of money is tainted - It taint yours and it taint mine.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old April 19th 05, 05:10 PM
CatNipped

wrote in message
Steve Crane the Hils Pet Food Company Shill wrote:
snip lies and scaremongering

FYI:
For those reading Steve's attempt at bait and switch, just ignore him.

Oh gawd, here we go again!

Old April 19th 05, 06:48 PM
Suzanne via CatKB.com

You would probably be able to order foods from the web - at a price,
though, if they don't have a distributor in Croatia.

Try looking at the ingredients, an easy rule of thumb I read is that there
should be no byproducts (meat, fish, chicken, etc) listed in the first 20
ingredients listed.

Old April 19th 05, 06:54 PM
kaeli

In article .com,
enlightened us with...
Removal of carbs means the
energy must come from somewhere else - either protein or fats. In most
cases it comes form much increased protein levels. Along with that
protein comes phosphorus. Adding increased phosphorus in the diet has
zero positive benefit and may have some very bad side effects.

Um, or not.

I found this interesting reading, though possibly a couple years out of date:
http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/dryfood.htm
http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/canfood.htm

According to the chart (if its accurate), there is not all that much
difference in phosphorus levels between dry and wet food. The levels seem
more consistent with brand (premium vs regular).
I guess it *doesn't* have to do with the protein that much after all.

~kaeli~
Dijon vu - the same mustard as before.