Best canned food vs. worst

Old April 19th 05, 09:46 PM
Steve G

kaeli wrote:
(...)
I was looking around, and it seems it is only harmful to cats already

IN
renal failure or old enough that their organs aren't in great shape.

CRF cats
seem to be badly affected by it. But one would hope you'd know if you

had a
cat with CRF!

Anyone care to refute that or point me to better info?

Problem is that it's difficult (impossible?) to catch CRF early, so by
the time it is detected, much damage may have been wreaked by a diet
high in phosphorous.

Steve.

Old April 19th 05, 10:18 PM
Steve G

kaeli wrote:
(...)

In nature, wild cats eat plenty of protein and as far as I know do

not have
this problem. Does the phosphorus come from the way commercial foods

are
produced?

Bone is high is phosphorous, and high phosphorous is consistent with
meat (meal) that includes relatively more bone. Lean meat is relatively
low in phos (and very low in calcium).

Would a raw (or organic, all natural, etc) diet eliminate this

problem? Can
it be elimated from commercial foods? If so, why the hell isn't it?

If not,
why not?

It has nothing whatsoever to do with 'organic', or 'natural' and diets
of this type can be equally high in phos.

Why is there no (or few) commercial diet that is very low in carbs, and
also has an acceptable level of phos? Cost, I assume.

(...)
In cats, no, it has not been proven (anyone have any data?). In

humans,
excessive carb and sugar consumption DOES cause diabetes and

aggravates
existing pre-diabetes conditions.

I'm not sure a definite causative link has actually been found, has it?
(I'm no expert, mind).

Steve.

Old April 19th 05, 11:01 PM
Steve G

Steve Crane wrote:
(...)

Consider that renal failure has hugely increased in cats over the

past
decade. According to Perdue's database renal failure hit 0.9658% of
cats in 1980 - in 1990 it had risen to 4.81% of cats and by the year
2000 it had risen to 10.31% of all cats. In a 20 year period renal
disease has increased by a whopping ten fold increase.

But what's the reason for this? Increased lifespan with a concomitant
CRF increase? Or are cats getting CRF at an earlier age than
previously? Or is it simply better detected these days, and the
underlying incidence of CRF is unchanged? Or is it diet related?

Since we cannot detect renal failure until it is much too late and

the
only possible result is a hard fast spiral toward death, feeding
excessive amounts of phosphorus is a very huge risk to take.
Particularly when we opt to do so based on completely unproven
hypothesis and opinion, totally unsupported by any clinical trials.

However, as other have pointed out, high phosphorous and low-carb are
not synonymous.

An additional problem with vegetable matter in cat foods has been
highlighted by Funaba and colleagues in some recent articles. Notably,
CGM was found to be associated with a higher incidence of urinary
sediment (cf. fish meal) and thus more likely to contribute to urinary
blockage (Funaba et al. 2001; J Vet Med Sci 63: 1355-1357). A second
study comparing meat meal with CGM also found the latter to be less
preferable as a food item:

"loss of body calcium and magnesium for the CGM diet suggests that
mineral requirements increase when CGM is used as a protein source."
(from astract- Funaba et al., 2002; Am J Vet Res 63: 1247-1251)

More recently, and of more relevance to this discussion, Funaba's group
has found similar results when carbohydrates are added to cat food
(Funaba et al., 2004; Am J Vet Res 65: 138-142):

"Starch and fiber in diets potentially stimulate formation of struvite
crystals. Hence, reducing dietary carbohydrate is desirable to prevent
struvite urolith formation. In addition, a net loss of body calcium,
phosphorus, and magnesium during feeding of the fiber diet suggests
that dietary inclusion of insoluble fiber could increase macromineral
requirements of cats." (from the abstract - I have not yet read the
complete article).

Currently, it seems that only Funaba's group is plugging away at the
carbohydrate / vegetable derivative problem (wonder who's funding
'em?), but their results do *not* support vegetable derivatives as the
bestest in cat chow.

Steve.

Old April 20th 05, 02:22 AM

Suzanne via CatKB.com wrote:

Try looking at the ingredients, an easy rule of thumb I read is that

there
should be no byproducts (meat, fish, chicken, etc) listed in the

first 20
ingredients listed.

Actually, Suzanne, your approach has nothing to do w/ feline nutrition.
There are too many games that can (legally) be played w/ the
ingredient label. Ingredients are listed by their weight in descending
order on ingredient labels. So what you are looking at is the weight
of ingredients (water included) on canned food. That gives you
absolutely no idea of the actual nutrition contained in the food, nor
the quality of ingredients.

Old April 20th 05, 02:48 AM

I wrote:
snip primer on Steve Crane
I forgot to add that his alter ego, the troll Chris Gaub (also a Hill's
employee) is best ignored as well. He consistently lies and makes claims
but refuses to provide cites to back them up. He is also a hypocrite (on
the scale of Mary) and is best killfiled, or if you don't have that
capability you can always skip his posts, as I do.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old April 20th 05, 03:02 AM
CatNipped

wrote in message
I wrote:
snip primer on Steve Crane
I forgot to add that his alter ego, the troll Chris Gaub (also a Hill's
employee) is best ignored as well. He consistently lies and makes claims
but refuses to provide cites to back them up. He is also a hypocrite (on
the scale of Mary) and is best killfiled, or if you don't have that
capability you can always skip his posts, as I do.

Why Megan, thank you so much for telling us all what we should do! Gee,
it's a wonder we can get our forks from our dishes to our mouths without you
there telling us how, we're just that stupid.

Folks, welcome to alt.Megan.is.queen.and.demands.a.f*cking.apology!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of stupidity is for smart (wo)men
to do nothing."

-CatNipped

Old April 20th 05, 06:36 AM
Mary

wrote in message
I wrote:
snip primer on Steve Crane
I forgot to add that his alter ego, the troll Chris Gaub (also a Hill's
employee) is best ignored as well. He consistently lies and makes claims
but refuses to provide cites to back them up. He is also a hypocrite (on
the scale of Mary) and is best killfiled, or if you don't have that
capability you can always skip his posts, as I do.

And yet, people have seen your behavior and are
snorting at your sage advice! What a surprise.

Old April 20th 05, 09:04 AM
Phil P.

"kaeli" wrote in message

I was looking around, and it seems it [phosphorus] is only harmful to cats

already IN
renal failure

That may or may not be true. No one has ever conducted a prospective CRF
study in cats from very young ages to determine the natural causes of CRF
and follow the natural course of the disease. No one knows exactly when CRF
begins in cats because nearly all of the CRF studies in cats were conducted
on cats with surgically induced renal failure. The morphologic changes and
effects of naturally occurring and naturally progressing disease don't ocurr
in instant, surgically-induced CRF.

Diets high in phosphorus can cause damage to the kidneys in at least two
ways: first, by increasing GFR - a sustained increase in GFR damages the
nephrons, and second, by promoting phosphorus and calcium deposits in the
kidneys (renal mineralization/soft tissue calcification). Phosphorus
retention (and calcification of soft tissue [kidneys, heart, brain, lungs])
can develop before the onset of hyperphosphatemia and hyperparathyroidism.

This is from Carl Osborne, David Polzin and Sheri Ross in Ettinger's 6th
edition- hot off the press:

"Phosphate retention begins early in the course of CKD and has been
implicated in promoting progressive renal injury in several species,
including dogs and cats. A role for phosphorus in promoting progressive CKD
is based on the observation that dietary phosphorus restriction limited
renal-related mortality in dogs and renal mineralization in cats. Phosphorus
may promote progression of CKD, at least in part, by precipitation with
calcium in the renal interstitium. This renal mineralization may then
initiate an inflammatory reaction, resulting in renal interstitial fibrosis
and tubular atrophy"

or old enough that their organs aren't in great shape. CRF cats
seem to be badly affected by it.

Renal mineralization has also been found in *normal*, *healthy* cats.

But one would hope you'd know if you had a
cat with CRF!

Not without extensive tests, you won't. By the time CRF is detected with
routine BUN/Creatinine tests, at least 2/3 to 3/4 of kidney function has
already been lost.

Anyone care to refute that or point me to better info?

As I said, no one has ever conducted a prospective CRF study in cats from
very young ages to determine the natural causes of CRF and to follow the
natural course of the disease.