kitten arrived - more questions

Old September 8th 05, 06:47 PM

Default kitten arrived - more questions

My 4 months old kitten has arrived and we had a fun evening together,
some questions I have in mind now.

1) Would it be bad to give it tap water? The tap water where I am is
actually not bad, not cloudy or anything, I drink the tap water out of
the brita pitcher myself, is it ok to give the cat brita water or
straight from tap?

2) how often do I feed canned food? I leave dry food with water
available. I am likely to be available every evening to feed him, but
lunch time feeding might not be as consistent.

3) He is curious about my orchid(s) I saw him sampling the roots and
leaves. Are Orchids toxic to them? I got rid of all my other known
toxic plants already, I am thinking of getting the pet grass kit (seed
that come in a dish) so they leave my other plants alone. I heard they
will vomit if they eat too much catnip or grass, is this true? (want
to avoid that if possible)

4) Can I give him dry treats if the treat pieces appear bigger than the
dry food he's been having?

5) I got a collar that have a safety buckle that is supposed to snap
off, but he is so light I think it won't work. Also I really think
those things only work if the buckle is at the right spot, if the
buckle is on the bottom or top there is no side forces to snap it off!
So I think a elastic style would be a better choice. He is indoor
only I will get him chipped soon but I want a tag for him. Please
advice?

6) is microchip painful? Should I get it as soon as possible?

Thats all the questions for now, glad to have a new family member!

Thanks in advance

Old September 8th 05, 07:03 PM
Juls

In article .com,
wrote:

My 4 months old kitten has arrived and we had a fun evening together,
some questions I have in mind now.

Congrats on your new friend!

1) Would it be bad to give it tap water? The tap water where I am is
actually not bad, not cloudy or anything, I drink the tap water out of
the brita pitcher myself, is it ok to give the cat brita water or
straight from tap?

I use the brita pitcher too, and that's what I give Jack. Our water has
a heavy chlorine taste, and the filter removes that. It just tastes
better. As long as you're filtering it for yourself, I'd say give kitty
the better water. (But tap water won't hurt either) Spoil him!

2) how often do I feed canned food? I leave dry food with water
available. I am likely to be available every evening to feed him, but
lunch time feeding might not be as consistent.

I'll leave this one to the feeding experts.

3) He is curious about my orchid(s) I saw him sampling the roots and
leaves. Are Orchids toxic to them? I got rid of all my other known
toxic plants already, I am thinking of getting the pet grass kit (seed
that come in a dish) so they leave my other plants alone. I heard they
will vomit if they eat too much catnip or grass, is this true? (want
to avoid that if possible)

According to this, orchids are NOT toxic to cats:
http://www.cfainc.org/articles/plants-non-toxic.html

I think the pet grass kit is a good idea. You can also get a fresh one
at PetSmart and Petco. I'm not an expert, but I think the vomiting
after grass might be an okay thing, to get rid of hairballs. If a cat
goes outdoors, it will eat grass and then sometimes bring up a
hairball.

4) Can I give him dry treats if the treat pieces appear bigger than the
dry food he's been having?

Another one I'll leave to those who know more than me. (My answer would
be yes, as long as he isn't swallowing whole)

5) I got a collar that have a safety buckle that is supposed to snap
off, but he is so light I think it won't work. Also I really think
those things only work if the buckle is at the right spot, if the
buckle is on the bottom or top there is no side forces to snap it off!
So I think a elastic style would be a better choice. He is indoor
only I will get him chipped soon but I want a tag for him. Please
advice?

Another one someone else will have to answer. After my macho New York
friends ridiculed Dmitri for having a pink collar (he was a boy, and
all black), I was shamed into giving them up. But he looked so handsome
in it.

6) is microchip painful? Should I get it as soon as possible?

Another one I don't know. I've never done the microchip.

Thats all the questions for now, glad to have a new family member!

Yeah, love him lots and lots! Have fun.

Juls

--
To email (remove annoying hyphens)

j-u-l-i
at
e-c-t-dot-o-r-g
Old September 9th 05, 02:36 AM
Barb

My cats prefer tap water to Brita filter water but their favorite is my bath
water!

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,