Cat Health Problems - Long

Old September 11th 05, 11:43 AM
veripwolf

Default Cat Health Problems - Long

My sister's 9 year old spayed female cat has not been well for nearly 6
months now. She has taken her to the vets several times but they're not
sure what the problem is.
Marley's symptoms are numerous - wobbly hind legs, excessive licking of
her belly, constipation. She pees in the litter tray but doesn't poop
in it anymore. Instead she goes either just outside it or on the chairs
or in her bed! I have seen her kind of slide along the floor also while
pooping. When you pet her she often growls under her breath. The wobbly
legs are worst when she does a 180 degrees turn around. And of course
her coat is very dull. Apart from all this, she actually goes about her
daily routine like normal - as in, she eats and sleeps and purrs etc.
Now the vet tested Marley's calcium levels and said they were high. He
then took blood samples and did an xray and there seemed to be some
area that he thought could be a tumour. But after 2 weeks of
antibiotics for possible urinary infection, more blood and calcium
tests, the vet gave Marley the all clear but to keep a close eye on
her.
Now the symptoms during all this time have never disappeared. She's
still got the wobbly legs, pooping in her bed, etc etc. They're going
to bring her back to the vet when they return in a week from holidays
but I can't see the vet doing anymore for Marley then he already has
(which was very little in relieving her symptoms). I'm going to
encourage them to see to my vet instead, they're more expensive but are
one of the best clinics in Ireland.
So (finally!) has anyone seen these problems and behaviours in their
own cats? If any cat experts can offer some advice, that would be very
much appreciated. Thanks!

Old September 11th 05, 01:28 PM
Joe Canuck

veripwolf wrote:

My sister's 9 year old spayed female cat has not been well for nearly 6
months now. She has taken her to the vets several times but they're not
sure what the problem is.
Marley's symptoms are numerous - wobbly hind legs, excessive licking of
her belly, constipation. She pees in the litter tray but doesn't poop
in it anymore. Instead she goes either just outside it or on the chairs
or in her bed! I have seen her kind of slide along the floor also while
pooping.

....and the vets the cat has been to have not figured out this last part
yet? ... about her sliding along the floor while pooping?

Has this been mentioned to any of the vets?

If so, you need to seek out better medical advice.

[...]

Yes, please do... ASAP.

Old September 11th 05, 03:12 PM
Karen Chuplis

It sounds VERY much to me like this cat needs a new vet. I'd check for
things like clots, thyroid problems, and I would definitely want every
blood test possible run. I mean, this just sounds very odd that they
have found nothing but the calcium thing.