Can I have purrs for my brother's cat, Geddy?

Old November 27th 12, 01:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

Default Can I have purrs for my brother's cat, Geddy?

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 17:58:12 -0600, MaryL wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"MaryL" wrote in message

"Cheryl" wrote in message ...

What happens if your pets get seriously ill at the weekend or a
holiday? Does your own vet duck out? Is it usually a 9-5 Monday to
Friday thing?
Just interested.
Tweed

In smaller places, a vet will have an emergency phone number. In large
cities, there may be entire 24/7 emergency vet clinics.

Being in a smallish city, when I needed a vet after hours, I called the
emergency number and the vet on duty called me back immediately. There
was no charge because she solved my problem on the phone. If she had
had to come in, there would have been a larger-than-normal fee.
Multi-vet clinics often have weekend and evening hours at regular fees,
too.

Cheryl

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just as you described, we have an emergency phone number here. The
vets take emergency calls on a rotating basis. My own vet has also
given me his home phone number. I would not abuse it and have never
called him at home, but it helps to know that I could do that in the
event of a real emergency. My furry twosome are now getting to an age
where I might need rapid assistance some time in the future--Holly is
now 17 years old and Duffy is 14. Of course, that does not even to
approach the age when Tweed was caring for KFC.

I regret that that I didn't ask June to send her to RB when I got taken
to hospital. She wouldn't have got snatched from the street, June
wouldn't have spend so long looking for her, feeling bad because she was
supposed to be looking after her and afraid to tell me she couldn't find
her.
Kitty FC was starting to get confused about where she lived and when I
wasn't there she wandered. She looked her age (25). It's easy to look
back and wish you had hindsight.
She wouldn't have known, she was away with the fairies and I was about
to send her to Rb myself.
I would have preferred to do it myself though so I could have buried her
here under a tree in her garden. Instead her ashes are wherever the
other unloved stray kitties are.
I hope she knows that at that time my life was endangered myself as an
emergency, if not I would never have left her.
Sorry, my lovely KFC. You grumpy old git ;-) but your purrs could be
heard downstairs if you were upstairs

~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm *sure* KFC knew she was loved. Our beloved cats may not have
awareness to tell them when we are in the hospital or away for some
other emergency, but I am absolutely certain that they know they are
loved and gain confidence from the knowledge. I have even found that if
I am not feeling well (or if I take a fall, as happened recently), Holly
will come running to me and lick my nose. The difference, of course, is
that I was at home at the time. I hope you can eventually accept that
you were loved by KFC and she knew you loved her, and that you did your
very best for her. What happened was a tragedy, but she had many good
years because of your care.

MaryL

Sorry to hear about your fall and hope you were not injured. Are you OK
now?
IMHO kitties know they are loved when their food is provided!!! and they
respond with purrs. Best wishes/ MLB

Old November 27th 12, 04:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

I hope she knows that at that time my life was endangered myself as an
emergency, if not I would never have left her.

I know you wouldn't have and I'm sure she knows!

Sorry, my lovely KFC. You grumpy old git ;-) but your purrs could be heard
downstairs if you were upstairs

Her old beau, Licky, also has a megapurr. Maybe it's a tuxie thing.

--
Joyce

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he
grows up, he'll never be able to merge his car onto a freeway.
Old November 27th 12, 12:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"MaryL" wrote in message

"Cheryl" wrote in message ...

[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~
I fell several months ago and fractured my "tailbone" (coxxyx). The pain
was excruciating, but there is nothing to do for that type of fracture
except wait for it to heal. It slowly improved, week by week. Now I am
only aware of it if I sit on certain chairs for too long. I do have some
deterioration of disks in my lower back plus sacroiliac pain, so that is a
more permanent problem. Overall, though, I do very well and am almost
always happy and content with my life.

Thanks for asking!

MaryL

Old November 27th 12, 05:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

"MaryL" wrote in message

"Cheryl" wrote in message ...

[...]

Now that brought back a mwemory: When I was 13 yrs old, I had a hard
fall when rollerskating.I broke my tailbone and I could not sit normally
for over a year. In school, I had to lean forward at my desk. One day
the teacher pointed me out to the class as being very attentive./ She
said everyone should copy my posture. I guess I was wreckless or daring,
but I had several bad falls when I was a kid. That is probablywhy my
"old bones" holler so loudly today. Best wishes. MLB

Old November 27th 12, 06:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rusty[_2_]

"MaryL" wrote in message

"Cheryl" wrote in message ...

[...]

Years ago I hurt my tail bone when I felt flat on my back on ice
on my way out job hunting.
After the fall, I just went home. It hurt for a long time.
At one point the doctor said if the pain continued, he would
recommend removing the nerve ending. The pain eventually go
away. But for some time, it hurt going up the stairs and at the
time I lived in a 2nd floor room.
Since then I have been very careful walking on snow or ice.
We had our first snow that stayed on the ground yesterday.
So I put on my winter boots and learn to walk like a penguin again.
-- Winnie
Old November 27th 12, 07:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"MaryL" wrote in message

"Cheryl" wrote in message ...

[...]

Did your doctor recommend a 'donut' pillow? A couple of months after I
fractured my tailbone, someone recommended ones. It helps a lot on those
hard chairs, even though it's a bit of a nuisance to carry around.

Joy

Old November 27th 12, 09:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Joy" wrote in message

"MaryL" wrote in message

"Cheryl" wrote in message ...

[...]

I have tried every type of pillow designed for that injury that I could
find, including a "donut." The donut has been the best of the group, but
even it has only been "some" help. I have gotten to the point now where I
don't use it unless I have to go some place where I may have to sit on a
hard chair. The pain was excruciating (and gradually improved over a period
of several months), but I am grateful it has not been worse--it could have
been a broken hip or some other type of fracture.

MaryL

Old November 27th 12, 11:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"MaryL" wrote in message

"Joy" wrote in message

"MaryL" wrote in message

"Cheryl" wrote in message ...

[...]

Yes, I know what you mean. That pain is terrible, but other things could be
worse. Sometimes when we're hurting, it's hard to remember that, though.

Joy