Cat chew toy?

Old November 21st 12, 11:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Default Cat chew toy?

Magic Mood Jeep wrote:

First - great post! I agree with what you say and you said it well.

On 11/20/2012 9:32 PM, Jack Campin wrote:

Cats have enough sense not to eat things bigger than their head.
I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't know about that - Whenever we buy pig ears (usually
dried/smoked) as a treat for the dogs, and the package is NOT closed or
put away properly, I will find one or two in the package that have kitty
teeth marks on them later. Most pig ears are fairly large, but the cats
seem to enjoy gnawing on them anyway. Also, I have seen cats catch
rabbits, and the rabbit is almost as big as the cat! Oh, lest we not
forget that lions are also feline and they will hunt down a water
buffalo, which is *much* bigger than it's own head... probably bigger
than the lion itself!

Water buffaloes are much bigger than lions. Ditto ... senior moment ...
those big grazing animals that travel in herds of thousands across the
Serengeti. They're lion and crocodile food. I'm sure I'll remember what
they're called after sending this post.

I've watched nature programs that show lions bringing down huge animals
like these. The lions attack in groups of 3 or 4, and you see one lion
going for the throat, while another is hanging off the animal's flank.
They look pretty small compared to the prey.

and you know how well they like to use unsafe products...

We know very well how some people have vindictive racist paranoias
about the Chinese. Cut it out.

I have no "racist paranoia" about Chinese people (how would I survive in
the college (which has a rather large Asian enrollment) town that I live
if I did?), but do not trust their business practices. Do you know why
US companies send their factories over there? Labor is cheap and
corruption is rampant, and there is little regard for safety (of workers
or consumers), ecology or animal "welfare."

This is absolutely true. The business and manufacturing system in China
is incredibly corrupt, and all they care about is being able to sell their
products as cheaply as possible. That is what has caused their economy to
get so strong - everyone wants those cheap goods. It's not just foreign
companies sending their manufacturing plants over there. Most businesses
whose main plants are in their home country still outsource a lot of the
components used in local production, much of which comes from China. It's
very hard to escape.

But the only way that they will stop cutting corners to cut prices is
if people stop buying their stuff. That's not just up to the consumer, but
also to manufacturers. It means that things will cost more, but there's a
lot of hidden cost to low prices, such as exploited, maltreated workers
and poisoned pet food (and toothpaste, milk and other stuff people put in
their mouths).

But I will say that, due to all the "recalls" of products manufactured
in China, I will not buy anything that is for consumption (either human
or animal) that came from there. How do we know that what is being
labeled as chicken jerky is really chicken, and not cat, dog, or some
other animal? Since, as you say, China rarely exports chicken and keeps
it for their own consumption, so, what are they using instead? For all
we know it's tree bark!

I do the best I can with that, but it's hard to avoid completely. There's
so much global outsourcing that everybody's buying ingredients that are made
from other ingredients, that are made from yet other ingredients, some of
which might come from China and might be contaminated. It's almost impossible
to trace where every single ingredient in a package of food comes from, so
maybe the best thing you can do is to avoid preprocessed foods as much as
possible. Easier said than done, because that means you need to make a lot
more food from scratch. But if you have the time and inclination, I think
it's worth it.

Other countries have mistreated, cheap labor that is taken advantage of
by foreign companies, and other countries make cheap stuff that sells
really well in wealthy countries. But China seems to have the strongest
economy based on that. And most of the poisoned goods implicated in the
recalls were manufactured there. So I do understand why there's so much
focus on China.

--
Joyce

"Riveting reading that keeps readers reading."
-- The Midwest Book Review

Old November 21st 12, 11:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
[...]

I don't mind being called racist by Jack. It's not racist to not allow
them to contaminate cat food with melamine and be frightened in case it
happens again.
It's sensible.

Tweed

Old November 22nd 12, 01:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

On 11/21/2012 6:02 PM, Bastette wrote:
Magic Mood Jeep wrote:

First - great post! I agree with what you say and you said it well.

Thanks Joy... it was kind of fun, even though it took me a couple hours
(with frequent breaks and distractions, both shiny and fuzzy) to get it
the way it would look right, and not end up sounding like a crazy cat
lady

Oh, wait, I *am* a crazy cat lady!!! !!!

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY

Old November 22nd 12, 01:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Magic Mood Jeep wrote:

First - great post! I agree with what you say and you said it well.

Thanks Joy... it was kind of fun, even though it took me a couple hours
(with frequent breaks and distractions, both shiny and fuzzy) to get it
the way it would look right, and not end up sounding like a crazy cat
lady

Oh, wait, I *am* a crazy cat lady!!! !!!

Well, that makes at least two of us, and I suspect quite a few more than
that. ;-)

Joy

Old November 22nd 12, 03:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Bastette wrote:

Water buffaloes are much bigger than lions. Ditto ... senior moment ...
those big grazing animals that travel in herds of thousands across the
Serengeti. They're lion and crocodile food. I'm sure I'll remember what
they're called after sending this post.

Wildebeest! I guess that means they're native to South Africa? I can't
remember where the Serengeti is... (off to look it up).

--
Joyce

The average, healthy, well-adjusted adult gets up at seven-thirty in
the morning feeling just terrible. -- Jean Kerr
Old November 22nd 12, 01:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Wayne Mitchell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPgo6s1lBbw
--

Wayne M.