Poll: What Is Your Favorite Seasonal song?

Old December 8th 03, 08:06 AM
Hopitus2

Sure got to admire your talent, then, since God gave you such a voice; He
only gave me one suitable for speaking, not singing.

"Singer709" wrote in message
om...
: "Hopitus2" wrote in message
: Uh........the religious signifigance of specific works escapes me
(hoping
: Bach was a buddy of Handel, maybe?; both talented dudes and they don't
make
: music like that these days) but I wasn't being mandatory about Messiah
being
: Easter music.....one could argue forever about which event triggers more
: "hallelujahs": the Savior's birth, or mankinds' salvation by His
sacrifice
: (Christian history hallmarks). Other, valid beliefs include that He
ain't
: even here yet, and is yet to come...and so on. As for me, one who has
been
: booed out of karioke bars and mike forcibly taken away, I enjoy it all -
: classical and pop and irreverent alike - while it lasts, which is only
this
: month.
:
:
:
: "Singer709" wrote in message
: om...
: : (LOL) wrote in message
: . com...
: : "Hopitus2" wrote in message
: ...
: : I like Hallelujah Chorus too but have always associated it
exclusively
: with
: : the Easter holiday. Especially by that outfit in Salt Lake City,
the
: famous
: : singers......
: :
: :
: :
: :
: : "The Messiah" certainly makes sense as Easter music, and I believe
it
: : is intended to be, but our church choir has always performed it at
: : Christmas, so the two are indelibly linked in my mind. :-)
: :
: : ------
: : Krista
: : Who is in the "spectator" section of any choir
: :
: : Last night we performed the Bach "Magnificat", which is truly
: : Christmas music. The first section of Messiah (the Christmas portion)
: : is also performed a lot in this time, although Messiah is actually an
: : Easter liturgy.
:
: Although Bach (1685-1750) and Handel (1685-1759) were exact
: contemporaries, there's no record they ever corresponded or met.
: Bach's career was in relative obscurity, most of his fame coming from
: his ability as a superb organist, not as a composer at all. He was
: little known outside the clique of German organists.
:
: Handel on the other hand (ha ha) was quite well known, fairly wealthy,
: and became court composer to George III. Although born in Germany, he
: anglicized his name "Georg Fredrich" to "George Fredrick" and spent
: most of his life in England.
:
: As for the religious significance of their music, it is secondary to
: the music itself, as I see it. There's plenty of opportunity for
: dedicated liturgical music performance in a church environment, and
: other times for its relatively secular performance in the concert
: hall. I've sung the Mozart and the Verdi Requiems in concert halls,
: detached from their religious roots.