The Things Some People Say (OT)

Old December 24th 04, 04:48 AM
Tanada

Tanada wrote:

Now it's

Rob: why don't we go out for dinner?
Me: because we can't afford it right now.

or

Me: how about McDonalds for dinner?
Rob: Fine, I feel like eating some real food.

Also I've gotten so that I say something like "are you as hungry as I
am?", or "I'm hungry, are you interested in eating yet?"

Pam S.

Old December 24th 04, 05:17 AM
Howard Berkowitz

In article ,
wrote:

Yoj wrote:

Remember the fuss about the change of centuries and millenia, when it
was expected that businesses would be paralyzed, and people were
stocking
up on necessities? I didn't believe it would happen, but I did stock
up on the two most important things - toilet tissue and cat food. ;-)

That reminds me of an amusing exchange I had with someone around that
same
time. Remember that the year 2000 was referred to as "Y2K", and that the
whole anticipated computer problem, causing the fall of civilization as
we
knew it, was also referred to as "Y2K."

Right around that time, I happened to go shopping at Costco (a warehouse
shoppers' club) and I bought a jar of green olives. A jar of anything
from
Costco is going to be BIG, so I had this enormous jar of green olives
that
I couldn't easily fit inside my fridge. So I put it on the floor against
the wall in my kitchen.

A few days after New Year's, I had some company over, and somebody
spotted
the mega-jar of olives on the floor. "Y2K?" she asked. Yep, it's true
-
if our computer-dependent civilization had collapsed over the New Year, I
would not have run out of green olives!!

I was the network architectural consultant to the Federal Y2K
Information Center [1], and some black humor did make the rounds. My
favorite was that the Dark Ages were caused by the Y1K Problem.

[1] In all fairness, the massive conversion effort was necessary -- and
one of the most defect-free things ever done. IIRC, there were only
two critical incidents reported, and they were fixed within 48 hours.
Old December 24th 04, 05:36 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-24, Tanada penned:

I get that too when my glucose plummets. When it's too high, I become
really manic. It's a toss-up as to which is worse.

That sounds very familiar, although for me, the downside is definitely worse.

I've learned to keep glucose tabs in both the van and my purse. I should
also keep some in my work bag, but I never seem to get around to doing so.

Are they OTC? I'd imagine they are. Did your doc suggest them, or is this
something you found on your own? I talked to my doctor, but she said it's
just normal for some people and that I should make sure to eat small snacks
throughout the day. Some days that's harder than others.

I often get a *really* nasty effect if I don't eat soon after working out.
The craving is all out of proportion with the need.

--
monique, who is sometimes allowed to pet Oscar, a grey^H^H^H^Hblue-cream DLH
with an attitude!

Old December 24th 04, 05:36 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-24, Christina Websell penned:

On 2004-12-23, Christina Websell penned:

He said I should have asked my husband to come with me and do it. I said
I might have done if he was still alive. He laughed and walked off. I
hope it was because he was embarrassed.

That's wrong on so many levels. Ugh. I guess I'd find a different place
to buy the stuff, and make a point of informing the guy *why*.

Nowhere else within 10 miles to get the stuff. I guess I'll put up with it.
Tweed

Can you at least kick him really hard the next time?

Okay, I guess probably not. Drat =/

Old December 24th 04, 05:56 AM
Seanette Blaylock

"Monique Y. Mudama" had some very interesting
things to say about The Things Some People Say (OT):

I've learned to keep glucose tabs in both the van and my purse. I should
also keep some in my work bag, but I never seem to get around to doing so.

Are they OTC? I'd imagine they are. Did your doc suggest them, or is this
something you found on your own? I talked to my doctor, but she said it's
just normal for some people and that I should make sure to eat small snacks
throughout the day. Some days that's harder than others.

Glucose tablets can be found in any pharmacy, near diabetic supplies.
They come in at least three flavors, depending on brand.

Old December 24th 04, 05:59 AM
Jo Firey

Some things you negotiate over the years and some you just live with.
Charlie is like Rob with restaurants. We can go anywhere I want, except
anywhere other than where he really wants to go. But he will not say lets
to to Sizzler, or lets go to Applebys. Thank God we don't have too many
choices around here.

Now I just make sure I'm driving, and then give him three choices.

Not just me either. He has a heck of a time deciding what he wants to eat
and ordering it when we get somewhere.

Not that it stops him from trying to talk me out of whatever I've decided to
order with "wouldn't you rather have?"

My rash decisions drive him every bit as crazy as his inability to make a
decision drive me. But its only been thirty seven years. I'm sure we will
work it out.

Jo
"Tanada" wrote in message
nk.net...
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

I absolutely agree with you, in theory. In practice, though, I seem to
behave
that way.

Snip

Seems like, reasonable or not, after the 4000th time I've asked him if
he's
hungry because I'd like to eat, he should figure it out!

And, to be fair, we have been negotiating such communication issues over
time.

Most of us females of a certain age were taught not to be overtly
assertive by our loving, but misguided parents. It took Rob and I years
to work out a system. It used to be,

Rob: Why don't we go out for dinner
Me: Great, where do you want to do?
Rob: I dunno, you choose.
Me: Why can't you choose this time?
Rob: Because two choices are too many.
Me: Fine, lets go to *names a chinese restaurant*
Rob: No, I don't want Chinese
Me: How about Bonanza (a buffet chain)
Rob: No, I don't want to go there.

Snip boring list of restaurant choices

Me: (exasperated) Fine, how about El Ranchero
Rob: I guess so, I could go for Mexican tonight
Me: Well why didn't you say so?
Rob: Because I didn't want to make you eat somewhere you didn't want to.

Old December 24th 04, 07:50 AM
Yoj

wrote in message
Yoj wrote:

[...]

Joyce

ROTFLOL!

Thank you. I was trying to think of "Y2K", and couldn't remember the term.

Joy

Old December 24th 04, 08:32 AM

Tanada wrote:

Rob: Why don't we go out for dinner
Me: Great, where do you want to do?
Rob: I dunno, you choose.
Me: Why can't you choose this time?
Rob: Because two choices are too many.
Me: Fine, lets go to *names a chinese restaurant*
Rob: No, I don't want Chinese
Me: How about Bonanza (a buffet chain)
Rob: No, I don't want to go there.

AAAAAAGGGGHHHHH!!! That would drive me insane. He seems unclear on
the concept of "you choose".

Yeah, it's really annoying when someone wants you to come up with ideas,
and then they shoot down all of the ideas you come up with! You just want
to go, "OK, YOU pick it then! Let me know when you have something."

This is a somewhat different type of dynamic, but weird in similar ways.
This woman I knew once took me out for dinner as a special treat for me,
I think it was for my birthday. She said, "Anywhere you want to go, this
is YOUR dinner, you pick the place." So I suggested a nearby Thai restaurant.
Her reply was, "Oh, no, I'm not in the mood for Thai." Um, OK. How about...
(whatever - I don't remember what I suggested next, but I do remember
that it got shot down too). Then she started pressuring me to go to some
restaurant that was a fair distance away. I agreed to it, but she was on
a motorbike and didn't have a second helmet, so I had to take the bus!
(This birthday was just getting more and more fun.) So we met up at the
restaurant, only to find that the place was closed. So finally we ended
up settling for a place because it was close by, because we didn't feel
like walking around any more. (And it was a lousy restaurant, too!)

What is it with people who tell you to choose but really have a secret
agenda of their own???

I don't think Rob was on the same level as the woman who was supposedly
taking me out for my "special dinner", though. He sounds more like a
normal Tired'n'Cranky (TM) spouse to me. Whereas the woman I was with
was from outer space or something!!

Joyce