The Things Some People Say (OT)

Old December 24th 04, 04:58 PM
Tanada

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Are they OTC? I'd imagine they are. Did your doc suggest them, or is this
something you found on your own? I talked to my doctor, but she said it's
just normal for some people and that I should make sure to eat small snacks
throughout the day. Some days that's harder than others.

I often get a *really* nasty effect if I don't eat soon after working out.
The craving is all out of proportion with the need.

I buy them at Walmart. They usually have them in the diabetic supplies.
Darn things are as big as a house, and it usually takes 2 or 3 to get
me back in whack, but at least I don't go postal and deliver the mail.

I find that if I don't keep the sugars on an even keel, I'll eat more
than I should, when coming off a sugar low.

Pam S.

Old December 24th 04, 05:03 PM
Tanada

Jo Firey wrote:

My rash decisions drive him every bit as crazy as his inability to make a
decision drive me. But its only been thirty seven years. I'm sure we will
work it out.

Jo

LOL, let me know if you ever do work it out. Rob goes nuts when I make
snap decisions and he's still sitting there staring at the menu. The
wait staff stands there with the pencil poised over the pad, the kids
and I have ordered and Rob is still debating between three choices.
Finally the wait staff says "would you like me to come back later?"
Prompting the kids and I to holler "NO!" Rob then closes his eyes,
points at the menu and picks the choice he claims is closest to where
his finger landed. Funny, it's always what the kids and I thought he'd
pick out in the first place.

Pam S. who's family constantly amuses restaurant personnel

Old December 24th 04, 05:24 PM
Kreisleriana

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 01:26:07 GMT, yodeled:

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

There's a little bit of monologue on Tori Amos' Jupiter EP. She's talking
about how she's been seeing this guy and having tea with him for months,
and every single time he asks her how many sugars she'd like in her tea.
Eventually, she gets really ****ed off, because how hard can it be to
remember "how many sugars a girl takes in her tea"???

Yeah, but that's not expecting him to be a mind reader. I mean she's
TOLD him 400 times!

Seems like, reasonable or not, after the 4000th time I've asked him
if he's hungry because I'd like to eat, he should figure it out!

Well sure. If you just want to suggest that the two of you get something
to eat, then why not ask if he's hungry? But in T and Mr. T's case, he
seemed to think that saying, "Are you hungry" was going to send her into
a frenzy of wifely servitude. ie, "Are you hungry?" means "Woman, get me
my dinner!"

Oh, no, not at all! I didn't mean to suggest that at all- that
certainly was *not* among his abundant faults. My problem was
simply the complete indirection. It never would occur to me that "Are
you hungry?" really meant "I'm hungry." It was like he was allergic
to just stating anything straight out like that.

His whole family was like that. Lovely people, but they drove me
absolutely bonkers, because none of them could bear to be thought to
be imposing their needs on anyone else. Deciding what movie to go to,
where to eat, what to do on a free afternoon was absolute agony.
"What do you want to do?"
"Oh I don't mind, what about you, Nick?"
"Oh I don't mind."
"Well do you want to go into town?
"I don't mind."

And so on, ad infinitem.

I always ended up deciding for everyone, and of course, everyone ended
up resenting it. Mr. T. finally said once, "Why do we always do
what *you* want?" I said "Because nine times out of ten, you refuse
to *tell* anyone what *you* want."

Theresa
Stinky Pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh
Old December 24th 04, 05:30 PM
Kreisleriana

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 02:37:19 +0000 (UTC), Cheryl Perkins
yodeled:

Kreisleriana wrote:

Had an aunt like that, rest her soul. Her idea of a perfectly
acceptable conversational gambit was "So what birth control method are
you using, dear?"

I've encountered people like that. I was in a clinic waiting room once
when the man sitting next to me, after starting the conversation with some
perfectly normal comment about the weather or something similar, said
chattily 'And what are you seeing the doctor about today? I bet you've got
that flu that's going round!' In a very rare (for me) example of presence
of mind, I faked a cough and assured him I did have the flu.

A few years later, a coworker, on meeting me in a store, asked loudly
'What *were* you in hospital for, exactly?'

Haw!
The one who beat all was a great aunt of mine. Shortly after my
mother had a mastectomy, we ran into this aunt in Macy's. My mom
wasn't in touch with her (for reasons that are about to become
obvious), and so she mentioned that she had just had this surgery.
Aunt Mary just seemed to pick up on the idea of "breasts" and said
placidly to my now-breastless mother, "My doctor told me I have the
most beautiful breasts."

Thank God He gave my Mom a sense of humor. Instead of decking Aunt
Mary, she quickly dragged me off to the coffee shop where we snorted
coffee all over the environs from laughing.

Theresa
Old December 24th 04, 05:41 PM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , "jmcquown"
wrote:

Cheryl Perkins wrote:
Kreisleriana wrote:

Had an aunt like that, rest her soul. Her idea of a perfectly
acceptable conversational gambit was "So what birth control method
are you using, dear?"

I've encountered people like that. I was in a clinic waiting room once
when the man sitting next to me, after starting the conversation with
some perfectly normal comment about the weather or something similar,
said chattily 'And what are you seeing the doctor about today? I bet
you've got that flu that's going round!' In a very rare (for me)
example of presence of mind, I faked a cough and assured him I did
have the flu.

A few years later, a coworker, on meeting me in a store, asked loudly
'What *were* you in hospital for, exactly?'

Uh, yeah. I really don't want to discuss my health issues with
co-workers.
I used to avoid this one woman as if she were a rat carrying bubonic
plague.
I'd be treated to a littany of her illnesses and if I'd been off work she
just *had* to know why I wasn't there. I wanted to tell her "It's none
of
your business". Mom taught me to be polite so I'd grab some poor
unsuspecting soul who was walking by and find a vital reason to speak to
them.

I had an ectopic pregnancy years ago and was hospitalized, had surgery
and
was off work for a bit; this guy at the office said to me, "So, what were
you in the hospital for?" I just looked at him and said, "NO." I must
have
been giving him the LOOK too, because it shut him up.

There's always the approach of replying "Well, they thought they saw the
homicidal rages and cannabilistic drives early, and could control them
with medication. (lick lips) I'm not sure, however, that it's really
working..."

Alternatively, and admittedly depending on a certain level of medical
knowledge, one can describe some arbitrary, but particularly repulsive,
procedure in exquisite detail.
Old December 24th 04, 05:45 PM
Christina Websell

CK wrote:

Kreisleriana wrote:
snip

Often a New Yorker's first inner response to
someone they don't know saying "Good morning" is "uh oh, what does
*he* want?"

Which may be why Americans have the reputation for being "rude" in so much
of the world! In France, especially, the first thing one says upon
walking into a shop is "Bon jour" (and a few pleasantries, like a comment
on the weather, if one's French is up to the challenge). I confess I find
the ubiquitous "Have a nice day" from clerks in stores in the U.S. a bit
tedious (since it's usually uttered in a mechanical tone of voice that
implies they wish you the opposite), but perhaps we could do with a bit
more GENUINE politeness in our daily commerce, here.

Here in the UK it's very common for people to say "take care" as a sort of
goodbye, most supermarket till operators will say it to you as you go off
with your shopping.
I didn't realise it could be taken as anything but friendly. However when
my German friend was staying with me I often saw a cloud come over her face
when it was said. I didn't ask..
Eventually, she told me what she thought: "Why do they tell me to "take
care"? Do they think I'm stupid and can't look after myself?"
Whew. Cultural difference...

Tweed

Old December 24th 04, 05:50 PM
Kreisleriana

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 12:41:32 -0500, Howard Berkowitz
yodeled:

In article , "jmcquown"
wrote:

Cheryl Perkins wrote:
Kreisleriana wrote:

[...]

HAW! REminds me of when I was "recriuted" by one of those smooth,
"reasonable" white supremacists. After hearing all his BS about
"these people" and "those people," I looked him in the eye and said,
"Well MY people are irrational and violent!" :P

Theresa
Old December 24th 04, 05:56 PM
Tanada

Howard Berkowitz wrote:

There's always the approach of replying "Well, they thought they saw the
homicidal rages and cannabilistic drives early, and could control them
with medication. (lick lips) I'm not sure, however, that it's really
working..."

Alternatively, and admittedly depending on a certain level of medical
knowledge, one can describe some arbitrary, but particularly repulsive,
procedure in exquisite detail.

We had a neighbor in El Paso who was a hard core hypochondriac. She was
also the one who thought her toddlers mistreating Tanada was so cute,
until Tanada defended herself one day.

Anyway, we used to look up medical diseases in order to give her
something to worry about. Probably wrong but it was so amusing to think
of her going to the dr to tell him that she thought she had this disease
which could only be picked up in the Amazon during the summer months.

Pam S. smiling evilly