What Do you do? A Poll

Old January 17th 05, 08:00 AM
O J

Yowie wrote:

Jill wrote...

Sherry wrote:

---------------------snip----------------------
More recently I managed the art department at a metro newspaper and
did ad design / layout, page layout, etc. Then my health just didn't
allow me to work anymore.
Now I think I'm what you call a recluse.

Sherry

Jill ---also a recluse

Nah, you and Sherry are just in the training period for the position of
"Crazy Cat Lady". You've both got the "recluse" bit workedout, but you both
need several dozen more cats before you get your official "Crazy Cat Lady"
diploma ;-)

Yowie

Respectfully, I have to disagree. While a dozen or more cats is
definitely an asset if one aspires to be a "Crazy Cat Lady", some
people are able to make it work with as few as two or three.

Regards and Purrs,
O J
Old January 17th 05, 09:05 AM
Jean Hobbs

Didn't know you were in the IRA Nan, LOL Jean.P.
Nan wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 21:15:32 GMT, Tanada
wrote:

Ok, I'm curious. What does everyone in here do for tuna money? I know
we have some, ok a lot, of computer geeks, educators (or what passes for
one) and so forth. You don't have to be any more specific than you
want, but I confess to being extremely curious. If you're currently out
of work, you don't have to say so, just list your career field.

I am a Substitute Teacher for Cumberland Co. North Carolina, married to
a Blackhawk mechanic/inspector who is medically retired from the US army.

Pam S.

Retired bookkeeper on Social Security, a small IRA, and a VERY small
retirement check (which just about covers my medical insurance and
medications).

Nan

Old January 17th 05, 09:16 AM
Jean Hobbs

Another very noisy place to work was a mill, I was a weaver for a couple of
yrs when I was about 16and you couldn't hear yourself speak let alone anyone
else,
when we met new boys we'd tell them we were *shuttle typists* as we didn't
like to say we were mill workers.guess we were just little snobs
Jean.P.

CK wrote in message
Howard Berkowitz wrote:

From a friend who was a newspaper typesetter, I learned that it was
quite common, in the US, to have deaf Linotype operators -- it was
considered an advantage for the high noise environment of those
machines. Hearing typesetters were generally not accepted until they had
at least working sign language fluency.

Was this the case in other countries?

Not as far as I know, at least concerning Finland, but then again I was
around 10-12 years old when my mom worked for that company. I only
remember her complaining about the noise.

--
Christine in Vantaa, Finland
christal63 (at) yahoo (dot) com

Old January 17th 05, 09:38 AM
Jean Hobbs

Lady I knew and loved, bought a house in a small settlement
with lovely homes and lots of rules, but not one that said no"gays'
fortunately for Lucy. She had two young men living opposite her,
and when her son died of liver cancer they just couldn't do enough
for her, they were friendly before Will died, but after,.... they were
astronomical, even sometimes sending her a meal over in case she
didn't cook just for herself. they were lovely men Jean.P.

Tanada wrote in message
ink.net...
Kreisleriana wrote:

This is probably the single thing that drives me craziest about the
whole gay marriage debate. The anti-camp repeats this bromide until
everyone believes it somehow, but they never explain HOW that
"undermining" is supposed to happen. People making public arguments
that effect other people's lives should be held to rigorous standards
of logic, evidence, and clear, rational thought.

Considering the "stability" of some of the Heterosexual marriages I've
seen, I'd rather see Gays be able to get married. They'd be far better
neighbors than the "Jerry Springer" couples.

Pam S. sighing

Old January 17th 05, 10:59 AM
Yowie

"Marina" wrote in message
badwilson wrote:

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message

Yowie wrote:

Overseas Aussies pine for vegemite, timtams, cherry ripes, violet

crumbles,

twisties and real beer :-)

TimTams sound delicious... but vegemite!?!?!?!?!?!

Victor, shuddering at the thought of vegemite....

Yeah, I somehow doubt I'll be getting into the vegemite once I become
an Aussie. I like tim tams, like the beer, like the wine, haven't
tried cherry ripes, violet crumbles and twisties, but will stay far,
far away from vegemite!

I hear it's an acquired taste. Yowie is training Cary to love vegemite
as we speak. How's the carpet?

*shudder*

The carpet is.... well, I'm sure it could be cut up and used for emergency
rations with the amount of food & drink it contains. I've had it cleaned,
too. Not that it made much visual difference, but the amount of yuckiness
that came out of hte carper after only 5 year sof living here. *Ewwwwwww*

What we really want is a hard surface with floor drains, so we can just hose
it out every other day like they do in a zoo....

Yowie

Old January 17th 05, 01:49 PM
Victor Martinez

O J wrote:
Respectfully, I have to disagree. While a dozen or more cats is
definitely an asset if one aspires to be a "Crazy Cat Lady", some
people are able to make it work with as few as two or three.

I must take exception to the obvious sexist nature of the term "Crazy
Cat Lady". There are plenty of us guys out there who might share the
same passion/obsession.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old January 17th 05, 02:07 PM
Victor Martinez

Marina wrote:
I hear it's an acquired taste. Yowie is training Cary to love vegemite
as we speak. How's the carpet?

Hmmm... that might qualify as child abuse in some countries... ;-)

Victor, who knows lots of people love vegemite but still can't
understand why

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old January 17th 05, 02:17 PM
Marina

Victor Martinez wrote:
I must take exception to the obvious sexist nature of the term "Crazy
Cat Lady". There are plenty of us guys out there who might share the
same passion/obsession.

Hehehehe, says he with the seven cats.

So what would be PC, Mentally Unstable Cat Person?

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki
Old January 17th 05, 02:28 PM
O J

Hi all,

Since Karen and MLB seemed to like my tale of the giant alligators
that haunt the underground passages of our cities, I've decided to add
another tale of the strange and eerie things to be found in the
underground. Hope you don't mind, but I've not trimmed the alligator
story.

Karen Chuplis wrote:

O J wrote:

M L Briggs wrote:

O J wrote:

---------------------snip----------------------
Most of the really high-capacity cables run in underground conduits
and are spliced together in manholes. Would anyone like to hear the
story of the giant alligators that live underground beneath our
cities?

Would love to hear your (fairy) tales.

So you don't believe there are scary things that haunt the underground
passages of our cities, eh? Heh-heh-heh!! We'll see how you feel after
I tell you my little tale.

My partner and I were working in South-Central LA when the movie
"Alligator" had just been released and was blanketing the TV with ads.
I was down in a manhole, but out of sight in a corner checking to make
sure the ductwork matched the blueprint for the job. I overheard my
partner up above talking to some children and telling them a fairy
story about alligators that lived under the street.

The children pooh-poohed his tale as a lot of nonsense, so he dared
them to call down the manhole with the 'special alligator call' which
he proceeded to demonstrate for them. I heard children's voices
calling out with little oook-oook sounds and took a deep breath in
preparation. I let out my best alligator roar which was magnified by
the echo of the little concrete room!!

The next sound I heard was the screams of children followed by the
laughter of my partner. He told me that those kids didn't stop
running for two blocks!

So you see, there really are scary things to be found under the city
streets. Bwah-hah-hah-hah!!

ROFL!!!!!!

(deep and humble bow)! Now, on with the new tale:

I have never seen a rat, alive or dead, in any of the places I've
worked underground. BUT, I've seen one that was neither alive nor
dead. Bwah-hah-hah-hah!

When you see a telephone truck parked by a manhole, the splicer or
lineman is down in a little, or occasionally huge, concrete room with
cables that come in one side and leave by the other. Most are fairly
clean and a few, where there is laser equipment to extend circuits to
the field, have lights, tiled floors, and air conditioning.

We used to use what was essentially a modeling clay known as 'duct
seal' to keep water and gasses from seeping along the cable paths
between locations in the underground. It was grayish in appearance
and would hold its shape, without ever getting permanently hard. One
could either use it for its intended purpose, or for self-amusement,
constructing little models and figures.

Some of the figures I used to like to make were rats! You could make
the basic shape out of the duct seal, use little wire connectors for
the eyes, and find some scraps of wire for whiskers to complete the
creepy critter. It became an amusement of mine to construct these
little statues and leave them in the various locations I had visited
so as to spook whoever was next to come down the ladder.

One day I had constructed a truly masterful example and left it
sitting on a cable where, as soon as one had come down through the
round 'chimney', it would be visible and sitting about a foot and a
half from the face of the unlucky visitor. Chortling to myself, I
wondered who my victim might be. We finished the job over the next
several weeks and everything tested good except for one circuit.
Someone needed to go down and find where the trouble might be. That
someone was me -- the hole I needed to check was the one with my
masterpiece. As soon as I cleared the chimney I looked to the right!

Aaakkk!!!

I nearly had a heart attack. Caught like a rat by my own trap! After
that I gave up my little hobby.

Regards and Purrs,
O J
Old January 17th 05, 02:37 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , O J at

Karen Chuplis wrote:

O J wrote:

M L Briggs wrote:

O J wrote:
[...]

I have to pass these on to the techs in my company